Author Topic: Bending tubes, how is this done?  (Read 19675 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Bending tubes, how is this done?
« on: January 06, 2010, 05:42:46 PM »
Just wondering if there is a bender that will allow me to adjust radius infinitely ?

Meaning:

Lets say I have a 20' tube that I want it bent with a 30' radius....how is this done....something like a slip roller for tubing?

Most benders I have seen have a die with a fixed radius. I would like to be able to adjust the bend radius based on needs.

ALSO*
Dont laugh....
I was hoping I didnt have to spend too much money on one as well!

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline bbarn

Re: Bending tubes, how is this done?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 06:09:54 PM »
JH, If you are doing a large (30 foot) radius, you may want to look at this type of bender. I am neither recommending nor slamming this particular vendor, it is just the first one that came up on my search. (pinch roller machine)

http://www.bii1.com/benders/baileigh-roll-benders.php?gclid=CNvB3aXwkJ8CFQ975Qod3i4FTA
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 06:15:52 PM »
btw, if you need something slightly larger...  :evil:
http://www.sertom.it/ENG/sertom_products_3_rools.htm
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 06:27:32 PM »
Jonny,

Any bender will do segmental bending.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:07:27 PM »
JH;

As Tom said, any bender can do segmanted bending. The front hoop of my roll cage needed to fit just under the windshield frame and to make things difficult it was a non- constant radius bend. I made a template out of Masonite and took it to a local rock- crawler & off- road fabrication shop where they had a 1 3/4" diameter tubing die for their hydraulic bender. After explaning how I thought it could be done-- bend a little, move the tubing and bend some more, etc the guy agreed to try it. The fellow did a very good job of following the curvature of my template and the bend turned out smooth and symmetrical.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 07:16:05 PM »
jonny  check harbor freight---i just bought one from them---they advertise it as a tube (measured by o.d. ) but actually its a pipe bender ( measured by i.d. ) ---it works out that the dies fit 1 in.   1 1/2 in. and 2 in. tubing ---price on sale was $149----they also have extra dies ( rollers ) for $49 that are for 1/2 in. square that you could machine for any size tube that you need ----ive used this one to make some long curves in some 16 foot tubing ( 1 1/2 X .120 dom ) and it worked ok ---the bend wasnt to severe maybe a 15 ft radias---other than that i dont know--------------------------willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 07:49:40 PM »
I made a template out of Masonite and took it to a local rock- crawler & off- road fabrication shop where they had a 1 3/4" diameter tubing die for their hydraulic bender. After explaning how I thought it could be done-- bend a little, move the tubing and bend some more, etc the guy agreed to try it. Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

we had the luxury of CAD plans for our frame /cage...... we had a full size version printed out and just used it to lay the tube on and just worked our way around it inching it here and there until we nailed it and we were using an el-cheapo bender,then for the really tight stuff I welded up a narrower frame for the bender. A template cut by hand, or even a piece of metal bent by hand could all do the same thing....Sum Wrote:" It looks good.  I wish I could bend round tubing like that. ?  I'm still trying to figure what I want."...

Manta's effort to go to an expert with a big bender is more likely going to give a rosier result, some exhaust guys will give it a crack too.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:59:18 PM »
WIllie,
Is this the one you purchased?
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline willieworld

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 09:47:17 PM »
 yes  looks just like that one---             willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 10:38:40 PM »
 JHN,
If you are looking to do things like small square tubing, 1/2,3/4 and 1 inch you can do large radius arcs using a soft blow hammer, I use a big leather one, and a piece of 2 x 6 wood. You place the tube on the wood and beat on it with the hammer and it will start to arc. You won't get real tight radius but you can make nice large arcs. I did the 3/4 sq. tubing for the body supports and door frames on my roadster this way. Never tried it on round tube but it might work if you are careful.

I have looked at the roller Willie bught from Harbor Freight and they are not bad and you can make almost any type of roller for any kind of tube size. I thing at $149 they are a great deal, plan to get one soon.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 11:30:25 AM »
I`ve seen it done this way---Machine 3 rollers that match the tube O.D./ Make replacement jaws for the mill vise and mount the rollers to them(parallel to the table) two on one jaw,one on the other jaw. Drive the single roller w/ the spindle and close the vise to get the needed radius. Works like a champ :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 11:55:04 AM »
The crazy days lakester built a nice one out of wheels  we are gathering parts  for working on one using Gate rollers
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline floydjer

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 02:29:11 PM »
Like this, Only w/ 180 deg. grooves for the tube to ride in.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 02:48:22 PM »
And here`s another using the table for adjustment.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »
try trick-tools .com
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah