Author Topic: which tire---------------  (Read 4569 times)

Offline willieworld

which tire---------------
« on: January 03, 2010, 02:25:41 PM »
07/17/09:  EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY  Following a report complied by Tech Committee Chair, Cars Lee Kennedy, Motorcycle Committee Chair Van Butler and Goodyear Tire engineers the SCTA Board of Directors voted to make the 17x22x2.5 tire illegal for use as a DRIVE TIRE.

The tire in question is a 22x2.5 on a 17 inch rim and many tire manufactures make this size of racing tire for drag racing.  It is made by Goodyear and is listed as a Top Fuel frontrunner and has a tire code of D1445. Carroll Shelby has a part number of 808-102-089 or for the 22x4.5x17 a part number of 808-130-089. Some examples of other tire manufactures who make this tire include Mickey Thompson with a part number of 672-3004 and Phoenix tire with a part number of 932-PH460.

this is posted on the scta web site as a rule change  ---i understand that the 22 x 2 1/2 x 17 can no longer be ran as a drive tire--it also mentions the 22 x 4 1/2 x 17  is that included and are all front runners included                                 thanks willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline desotoman

Re: which tire---------------
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 02:50:57 PM »

this is posted on the scta web site as a rule change  ---i understand that the 22 x 2 1/2 x 17 can no longer be ran as a drive tire--it also mentions the 22 x 4 1/2 x 17  is that included and are all front runners included                                 thanks willie buchta

Willie,

The way I read this is that they don't want the 17" drag tires run as drive tires. That would not include the 15" front runners, they would still be legal.

Dan W. please correct me if I am wrong.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 09:45:57 PM »
Tom is correct. The part numbers are specifically called out for the tires deemed unusable for a DRIVE wheel. I do not see any mention of the 15", 4 ply front runner in the SCTA statement.

Did you contact either Van or Tom for clarification?
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 09:52:44 PM »
Add the Hoosier item number 18108 .

I wonder what Goodyear's opinion of the obsolete 5 " by 13" former Top Fuel front tie is for drive purposes?!!??
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 07:45:22 PM »
07/17/09:  EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY  Following a report complied by Tech Committee Chair, Cars Lee Kennedy, Motorcycle Committee Chair Van Butler and Goodyear Tire engineers the SCTA Board of Directors voted to make the 17x22x2.5 tire illegal for use as a DRIVE TIRE.

The tire in question is a 22x2.5 on a 17 inch rim
*snip*
                  thanks willie buchta

Drat, I had missed this one (found doing a search).
Seemed the perfect drive tire for 175cc too.

I'll be following the motorcycle tire thread and searching for a replacement (along with everyone else).
For the small bike it was more the 75psi (low rolling resistance) along with the speed rating.

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 07:38:22 PM »
Ok, looks like the BT003 type 2 to replace the Frontrunner. Wider, softer rubber, and much lower inflation pressure. Sad they just couldn't have put a weight/horsepower limit in place instead. Enough people will be running them this year I'll get to see how reliably they replace a tire rate for 300mph. Meanwhile I can calculate the increased rolling resistance, see how much speed is lost.

Mmmm, wonder if Goodyear would be up to modifying the Frontrunner as drive tire. I don't know what the difference would in cord pattern but since they make LSR tires they already know. It's a thought anyway.

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 10:44:02 PM »
Things were a lot simpler 15 years ago  :-D
Terry  :cheers:
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 10:52:57 PM »
And much, much slower.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline mike mendoza

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 02:17:29 AM »
and not as safe      ask  nascar or people we lost  rules are to save heartaces ignorance is't bliss in the sport :cheers: