Author Topic: is there a K engine class in DS  (Read 8295 times)

McRat

Re: is there a K engine class in DS
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 12:41:53 PM »
My son wants to do the Jr. Dragster thingy, but it's way out of hand now.  There are million dollar race teams running Briggs and Stratton engines with no B&S content.  Watched a father scream every four-letter word in the English language at a crying 12 year old girl (she cut a bad light) and Bernie's wife? permanently banned them from LACR.  A bit too intense IMO.  

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:47:07 PM by McRat »

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 03:40:50 PM »
No difference in any sport. The little league mom's and pop's are everywhere.

40 years ago I saw the same thing in karts. There was a box stock 80 cc class for 8 year olds. The engines were checked very closely at sanctioned races.

Different on the club race weekends. I was racing a 125cc rotary valve two stroke on fuel and I was the fastest thing in the class. I was in an open practice and this kart with a similar 125cc blows past me like I was tied to a post. And no driver. Until he went around the corner and I see it's this 8 year old kid. Not even big enough to show over the low seat in a kart.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Goldenhawk

• New folks
  • Bonneville diesel Racer #6006
    • GOLDENHAWK>CA
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 04:24:48 PM »
 I applaud you for considering K/DS as a project! I have been attempting to set the E/DS record and worked on the design and redesign several times.
First let me say I have never blown up a diesel! I have drag raced many years and watched in dismay at all the engines that were trashed due to mental failure and then attributed to mechanical.
When we first began manufacturing and marketing nitrous oxide units, we tested the mechanical strength of engines. First the cranks will stand great torque loads IF they are even and continue in the same direction of rotation. (Detonation forces are opposing the crank rotation).
 The combustion envelope will take quite high pressure before distorting and releasing gases (blow by). I suspect the weaker part is the piston as often it is the piston failure that begins the chain of events that later release pressure and shrapnel out the exhaust or oil pan. The head gasket is the weakest part and the extreme heat of the combustion (like nitro dragsters) tends to weaken and even melt parts. However, it is the clamping force that must be first considered. Do you have sufficient clamping force around the cylinder?
 We have ARP fasteners in our Cummins 4BT and will run up to 55 lbs boost and have it set at 3650 rpm with a little N2O from Mike Wood at Nitrous Express and push rods/valve springs from Hamilton Diesel. Colt Cams will grind you a special camshaft. You may contact me for any questions at goldenhawkracing@yahoo.ca
Also look at Honda 2.2 liter dragcars they are reporting 900hp, they are containing the pressure, with less rpm and longer run time it is reasonable to think a goal of 100hp could be achieved.
Happy New Year,
Randy
 NOT an expert just a student/observer.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 05:15:11 PM by Goldenhawk »
randy

McRat

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 05:31:35 PM »
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:46:27 AM by McRat »

Offline Mean Gene

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 10:44:48 PM »
Have you all been reading my mind?  I was planning on starting a K/DS shortly.  Looks like there may be some friendly competition after all.
You'll have to excuse me, I have AADD:  Automobile Attention Deficite Disorder

Offline willieworld

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 10:51:03 PM »
mean   SHOW ME   LOL   hope you do it on the build diaries   willie buchta
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:54:22 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta