Author Topic: is there a K engine class in DS  (Read 8301 times)

Offline willieworld

is there a K engine class in DS
« on: December 23, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »
i noticed there was no K engine class in diesel streamliner although in gas and fuel streamliner and gas and fuel lakester there is a K engine class ---i checked the minumims for el mirage and there is no record or minumim ---is it a misprint or is there no   K-DS-----------------willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

McRat

Re: is there a K engine class in DS
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 08:51:49 PM »
DOH!  nevermind.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 05:20:06 AM by McRat »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 08:59:38 PM »
Willie there is a K engine allowed in diesel streamliner 30.99 cid is pretty small and probably why no one has run one or no record. Pg.  48 2009 rule book
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 09:07:44 PM »
thanks glen--if you go to el mirage records there is none and no minimum --i wondered if there was no class for K or if it was just not printed---each class down is 10 mph slower so K DS should be 110 mph   thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

McRat

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:08:50 PM »
DOH!!   :-P
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 05:20:43 AM by McRat »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 09:15:50 PM »
Willie, I  did a quick google search and what they show are for stationary use or for generators, most have a 3/4 inch output shaft still, a pretty interesting subject.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

McRat

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 10:58:14 PM »
The one in our pit generator is Chinese, 418cc, 19:1, and 9 HP.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 11:49:06 PM »
Look up a Kubota model Z482-E3B. It's a 2 cylinder water cooled diesel displacing .479 litres or 29.23 cu. in. I was thinking of building a K streamliner but because of some other things it isn't going to happen. My plan was to clean up the engine and turbo it to see how much pressure it would take then build a new one with good parts. I think there may be some potential.

Pete

McRat

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 06:48:31 AM »
The Kubota makes a lot of sense.  Water-cooled and 2 cyl, it will probably be a lot easier to turbocharge.  Dunno what it's compression ratio is, but you might have to lower it.  Diesels that are 20:1 or higher tend to break if you turbocharge them.  19:1 is marginal.  Big boost is going want 17:1 or less.  It's not a detonation problem like gas engines, it's purely mechanical.  20:1 compression + 30 psi boost a lot of peak cylinder pressure.  Hard to hold a head gasket in place, or keep a rod from bending, or block from cracking.  A realistic target would 42HP (13HP x 3).  You can normally turn up a diesel to 3 times it's factory output before it blows.  26HP should be "safe".

LittleLiner

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 08:59:15 AM »
Yanmar has a few single cylinder versions under 500cc and all under 10hp.  I have a Yanmar clone built in China, brand new never fired.  It's air cooled overhead valve and has a starter.  THis type of engine is found in many generators and ag-water pumps and other industrial apps.  I suspect you could turbo charge it but like many China rip-offs it would probably blow it's top.  This one has a 1 inch output shaft.  Can't comment on an Elmo min for the K/DS class but at bonneville the record is zero.   The rules say all streamliners can run the long course.  So you could start a run in August and finish the long course in October.  It would still be a record.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 11:36:26 AM »
unless the timers packed up and went home.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

McRat

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 11:50:10 AM »
Naw, I'm pretty sure diesels are just as fast gas engines (read it on the internet), so it should go about 223mph (K/BFS).  

If the aero is good

and if it's nose is pointed straight

down when you release it from the helicopter.

I think this a case where the new neck restraint will be critical.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:07:56 PM by McRat »

McRat

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 12:02:26 PM »
A while ago there was discussion on this board about a Jr. Dragster style LSR class.  This would be the ideal candidate.  Diesel is not as a flammable as gas, and is safer than battery packs in a crash, and there is a reasonably cheap "spec" engine.  Engine is sealed with the factory 3600rpm limiter, must be rear mounted, air-cooled, and max weight is 600 lb with driver.  One quart fuel tank max, pure biodiesel-only, no electrical system permitted, must be pull-start, and leave the line from a stop.  If a bicycle can go 80mph, how fast can a 10HP streamliner go in 2.25mi?

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:06:11 PM by McRat »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 12:29:16 PM »
Some years back Jr.lakesters were tried out at the lakes on a shortened course and their own timing system set up. As I recall Mike Cook Jr and the two daughters of Ron Pruitt were the only ones that showed any interest. Mike jr is still racing LSR and one of Ron's daughters is a Pro Drag racer on the NHRA circuit. Rick Vesco built a Jr. streamliner for his kids to run on the salt. That car is in a show room some where. One of the problems at the lakes was they took a lot of time to run, some of that was due to being young and clearing the course etc. It took a little more effort on everybodys part but the program didn't last very long. USFRA had a special short course on the salt and ran the same as the bar stool racers and mini bikes. Now you know
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 12:30:37 PM »
Probably even faster if it was powered with a propeller... :-o