Author Topic: Simple traction control.  (Read 15232 times)

Offline dieselgeek

Re: Simple traction control.
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 05:25:50 PM »

Are you sure thats the way they do it? I thought they just limited the rpm rate in another way, such as dropping cyls.

JL222

THe ones I used, first retard then drop cylinders which is also not great - it lights raw fuel in the exhaust...

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 09:01:21 AM »
The best way is to pop a blow off valve on a blown motor so you can still stay spooled up
Kent
       What about an electricly operated wastegate valve? Put a momentary pushbutton on the steering wheel within thumbs reach and hold it until the wheels grab again.
Wierd is good

Offline jl222

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 12:13:55 PM »

Are you sure thats the way they do it? I thought they just limited the rpm rate in another way, such as dropping cyls.

JL222

THe ones I used, first retard then drop cylinders which is also not great - it lights raw fuel in the exhaust...

If there is no spark, what lights the fuel?

JL222

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 02:23:23 PM »

JL222

If there is no spark, what lights the fuel?

JL222

"retard" doesn't mean "no spark"

And if you DO use it to kill spark, the fuel that puddles in the exhaust gets lit on the next cycle, and does nearly the same damage.

You sound doubtful, this is only MY experience.  I'm an amateur!  By all means, go out and try it and let me know how it goes.   I also tried the manually operated wastegates... they worked next best to the electronic wastegate control.    The BOV suggestion above, didn't work because even if the turbo is still spinning, you just lost all your boost.   15psi will be half the engine's power, which is more than the driver probably intended to limit in order to get traction back.   My experience there is, on/off/on/off traction/slip/traction/slip behavior.   The driver expects power output to be linear with throttle position - it's working for a few of us that way.

Offline jl222

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 03:01:17 PM »

If its done with retard I'am not trying it, but I do have that ignition, I streched enough valves last year but I thought you said retard then dropped cylinders, I thought you meant no spark by dropping cyls.

JL222

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 03:05:52 PM »

If its done with retard I'am not trying it, but I do have that ignition, I streched enough valves last year but I thought you said retard then dropped cylinders, I thought you meant no spark by dropping cyls.

JL222

The 7 programmables I used, are configurable for either or both.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2010, 10:44:49 PM »
My solution is this (so far):
1) Speed based boost controller from Hyper Kontroller (not time based like most other units).
2) FAST XFI boost controller using both the heurstiic and power adder modes. These need to be set so not be used unless you really miss the boost controller programming.
When the boost controller is set correctly, you won't need anything else. That is why I like turbo power. Boost = power not rpm = power.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline gidge348

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 04:10:10 AM »
I am not sure if the I the SCTA rules are greatly different to the DLRA rules (http://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm),

but.....

3.18 states.... “Entrants using anti-wheel-spin (traction control) devices are subject to a three (3) year suspension from DLRA activities.......”

Most of what is being described here seems to be “anti-wheel-spin (traction control”) other than the warning light which I would think is just traction “monitoring” not “control”.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2010, 08:30:40 PM »
I am not sure if the I the SCTA rules are greatly different to the DLRA rules (http://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm),

but.....

3.18 states.... “Entrants using anti-wheel-spin (traction control) devices are subject to a three (3) year suspension from DLRA activities.......”

Most of what is being described here seems to be “anti-wheel-spin (traction control”) other than the warning light which I would think is just traction “monitoring” not “control”.

It is allowed in the streamliner class under SCTA.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline jl222

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 08:53:10 PM »

but.....

My understanding of rules and traction control is a device or controler sensing wheelspin and reacting to stop it.
If you are able to limit the power of the engine to prevent wheelspin is not the same.

JL222

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 09:01:31 PM »
I developed a device I call the "Slipometer" and used it at the past BUB race. It tells how much the drive wheel is slipping by lighting up sequential green, amber, and red LEDs. It also shows wheel speed and vehicle speed in MPH and KPH. It is still considered to be in development, but it does work as designed. It will work on a bike or a car.

If anyone is interested in buying a Slipometer, I can have copies made.

At this point I am trying to guage the interest in marketing it, so if you are interested, let me know here or by email.
donpearsall@comcast.net

Here is a photo during test and on a run. I have videos of it on the bike but they are terrible quality.

Don

550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline jdincau

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 09:17:07 PM »
Traction controll is not mentioned in the SCTA rule book. There was no way to police it so there was no way to regulate it.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline gidge348

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 12:24:49 AM »

My understanding of rules and traction control is a device or controler sensing wheelspin and reacting to stop it.
If you are able to limit the power of the engine to prevent wheelspin is not the same.

JL222
I would say that is correct if you limit the “speed” it is really just a governor, so set the speed to 300mph put your foot down and hang on.

The only problem is if you get wheel spin at 150mph and they run up to 300 mph before the “governor” kicks in, things could get interesting.

If however there were sensors pick up the wheel spin and react to apply brakes, retard ignition, cut fuel, reduce boost or whatever we are back to traction control.

I do like the concept of Don’s Slipometer (have sent email) as I think this may well be best way round within the spirit & letter of the rules (well, DLRA at least)

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2010, 09:48:04 AM »
Traction controll is not mentioned in the SCTA rule book. There was no way to police it so there was no way to regulate it.

While I don't have much need for it, it was my understanding traction control was legal in SCTA also.
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651