Author Topic: Simple traction control.  (Read 15233 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Simple traction control.
« on: December 20, 2009, 02:48:32 PM »
Has anyone here built a traction control system that simply turns on a switch if the rear tire speed exceeds the front tire speed by a certain percentage? Davis is really proud of their system (over 4k). Seems like a lot of money for such a simple function. I am thinking on building our own but I was just wondering if there is anyone on the board that has done the yet and if it worked?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Simple traction control.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 03:31:07 PM »
The Edelbrock quick data has the switch capability comparing two functions I think :?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 09:03:57 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:40:15 PM »
Ah, you make it sound so simple. Detecting the difference of rotation front to back, no problem.

Reacting to that event fast enough to do something. Big dollars.

No amount of money will keep you from blowing the rear tires off with way too much horsepower for what the surface will hold.

The initial design has to be within the realm of pretty close for electronics to have a chance.

Then you have to look at the reaction time of the mechanics involved. You have to kill horsepower instantly. Almost impossible. And you have to do it hundreds of times per second to keep up with it.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »
and there is a pretty fast car that knows now not to do it with IGN. retard
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 11:32:47 PM »
Why not ign retard?
I know that you can't completely lean on it as you will burn up the ex valves but if you just bump it every once in while? We will need a dash warning light to know that it is activating so we can adjust the boost controller for the next attempt. Computation speed is not  problem. Old assy code will run plenty fast enough.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 12:14:47 AM »
Aparently there was  afterburn(ING)er effect that became an affect of the exhaust system--- and from what little bit I read and heard and deduced it made a pretty good blow torch  :-o

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 10:34:17 AM »
If you do ignition retard on a turbo motor the exhaust heat goes to "melt the exhaust valves" hot pretty fast! That is actually one way of eliminating turbo lag, when you step on the gas the ignition goes big retard for a few milliseconds and the exhaust heat goes skyward and the turbo spools up real fast. Can't do it long as I said before the exhaust valves will exit thru the turbo in liquid form.

If you do some sort of traction control, it has to be a combination of several systems, one that can be fairly instant, like applying the brakes,(the top fuel guys did this before NHRA outlawed using the onboard computer to interface with the car controls, they actually had a seperate set of calipers that were only for keeping the wheels from spinning.) one that at the same time kills power, ign. retard(not good for above reasons) or maybe killing some of the cylinders, or backing off of the throttle etc. It can get pretty complicated pretty fast maybe a well educated right foot on the driver is the best start.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 10:59:28 AM »
It can get pretty complicated pretty fast maybe a well educated right foot on the driver is the best start.

No question that the right foot is the cheapest method.

I feel that the record holders will all be using traction control. I don't see that many vehicles that can afford to give up the acceleration or stability that traction control allows.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline jl222

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 12:38:12 PM »

One of the simple and least expensive traction controls is limiting  how fast the engine revs,the 101/2 in. tire drag racers
were able to go over 200mph for the first time using this system.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 09:57:26 PM »

The rev feature mentioned above is available in some of MSD'S digital 7 ignitions available at Summit Racing and others.

JL222

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »

One of the simple and least expensive traction controls is limiting  how fast the engine revs,the 101/2 in. tire drag racers
were able to go over 200mph for the first time using this system.

JL222

I don't think anybody is still using the MSD "dots" program in the 10.5 classes. My spies tell me that most of the good working cars were using something other in Orlando this year.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 10:00:16 PM »
The rep at Davis wants us to hook up to the ign retard of our MSD digital.
I would rather it would just start pulling cylinders.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 10:50:53 PM »
Rob, when did the pro 5.0 cars first go 200?  I'm sure it wasn't this year. :cheers:

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »
No, not this year for sure. I'm just saying that it looks like the trend is that they are getting away from using that feature MSD has in their digital 7 for whatever reason. I didn't get a reason why.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 07:36:30 PM »
Has anyone made a simple series of dash lights that would sequentially turn on as traction was broken. I.E. 3% 5% 7% over etc?
Sort of like a manual traction controller for long wheelbase car with the driver in the front.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com