Author Topic: End of the Big Block Chevy.  (Read 3046 times)

Offline desotoman

End of the Big Block Chevy.
« on: December 19, 2009, 10:22:04 PM »
Looks like the end of the big block Chevy, at least from GM.

Tom G.

http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2009/12/14/daily25.html
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 10:23:55 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

McRat

Re: End of the Big Block Chevy.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 10:57:45 PM »
Boy, that article makes it sound like GM stopped making V8's.  :?

I thought they killed the 8.1 three years ago.

Not sure what they were putting the 8.1's in last years.  I think the last 8.1 pickups were 2006, and they were not a big seller.  Maybe the Kodiak medium duty kept them as an option?  Dunno.  Haven't seen many Kodiaks with gas engines.  Diesels were probably what killed the 8.1.  

Also, Kodiak and Top Kick production was stopped last summer.  Stupid move by GM in my opinion.  

The small block comes in flavors up to 427ci now, and GM Performance Parts has lots of BBC's for sale up to 572ci?  It's just nobody wanted an iron BBC that didn't make as much power as the other engine options, and sucked fuel like there was a hole in the tank.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 11:01:57 PM by McRat »

Offline racergeo

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 11:20:37 PM »
  I think they were popular in mid size motor homes but there sales must be in the toilet.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
Unh, getting rid of the Kodiak was a good thing.  I had one or two -- and they were mobile proof that GM did not know a durned thing about making medium-duty trucks.  They were fraught with hassles -- everything from GM telling Caterpillar that the engine didn't need "that big" a started (which led to numerous replacements 'til we fitted the Cat-preffered size) to lousy metal holding the outside rearview mirros, to brakes that seldom lasted more than six months.  I could go on -- but the $50k for the truck was far less than the cost of maintenance over the years -- and maintenance costs were far higher than on similar Fords (we had an F700 with the 5.9 Cummins) and Internationals.  I'm out of that business and don't use such-size trucks any more -- but for the sake of others -- good.

End of this rant -- going back to finish wiring the tanning bed.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 01:22:36 PM »
First SAAB, Now the rat motor. :cry:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

McRat

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 01:57:44 PM »
Here's what I see.  Dodge dropped their big block completely.  Ford's big block is a V10 that makes 362HP, and is a $700 option.  Chevy's big block retired at 330HP and was $1100 option.

Ford can keep their V10 in production simply because it shares parts and geometry with it's 5.4L 300HP V8 model.  And it's a favorite for budget motorhomes.

But for pickups?  The Powerstroke Diesel is a $8000 option that makes 350HP.  It's the #1 Superduty engine.  Next comes the 5.4L V8 with 300HP, base engine.  Far in last place is the V-10.  Ford will probably keep making it for awhile, but I doubt it will be around in 10 years.  It is the most advanced design for all the big blocks, but demand is very low.

Why?  When my V8 Ford van was in the shop, the loaner I got was a V10.  My van would get 15mpg.  The V10 was 11 mpg.  HOLY COW!!  We are talking 1960's fuel economy.  Ditto for the 8.1, may it RIP.  Dodge had the same issue with their V10 before they canned it.  Too small of demand, too low of mileage.  The diesel offerings while way more expensive, tow better, and get modern fuel economy with similiar power. 

The BBC was actually dead the minute the diesels went over 300HP, the writing was on the wall.

McRat

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 01:58:25 PM »
PS- The Duramax is the New Chevy Rat Motor... :-D