Author Topic: Diesel Powered LAKESTER  (Read 18566 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Diesel Powered LAKESTER
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 05:35:45 PM »
Hello, its me again. The argument that Diesel technology should only be demonstrated in a production vehicle at Bonneville, to me, means that the Diesel Streamliners and Trucks that are competiting presently are not at all Relevant. I certainly see that some of the competitiors that are racing gas "Lakesters" now may convert to Diesel and other "Lakesters" might be built if a Diesel "Lakester category were open up.
Regarding the rules for a "Lakester" Category; I certainly do not know what goes on in broadening the present rule book. However, it seems me that the rules would be exactly that of the Diesel "Streamliner" category, minus the additional bodywork. Is that not the case?
Additionally, virtually all of the worlds vehicular manufactors produce vehicles with Diesel power. Advances in Diesel technology have advanced rapidly in the last 20 years. It is concievable that Diesel technology may in the near future exceed todays gas engines. So, why limit such an enormous potential to simply "Liners" and Trucks. I hope that POINTS are not the only reason for not broadening the rules to allow Diesel "Lakesters". Thanks,
 Ralph Thomas

Ralph, You seem to think that the SCTA is not allowing you to run a diesel lakester. As others have said that is not the case, you can run one, just not in a class by itself at this time. Bring one out and compete. Let's see if intrest grows and then petition for a class.
As for me the reason is not diesel technology or how long they've been around. It's simply we have enough classes currently. The SCTA does not need to make a class for everyone who wants one. If you can't find a class you want to run in you might try time only.

On page 8 of the 2008 SCTA rule book 3rd paragraph, "Proposals for the creation of new class will be discussed at even year rule meetings for implementation in the odd year rulebooks only."
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2009, 06:15:08 PM »
Stainless --

Me a culprit.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline argo19c

• New folks
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2009, 06:34:26 PM »
Thank you all for your comments. I do appreaciate them, every one! I do understand the logic behind having a few cars to make a class. My comment about POINTS is that I hope that is not the reason to prevent new classes or categories. I, for one, would not be interested in points, as I am a long way from where the events take place. I am interested in running a car that would fit intirely within a "Lakester" category. It would be intirely out classed in a "Streamliner category. But, as I stated above, I am not willing to travel the distance I would need to go to simply run sa car, without a goal in mind. I sure that there are other that think likewise, I am sure. I might not be able to obtain that goal, but the challenge is the spice for me. I have been able to set goals and records in the past at Bonneville and with fortune achieved them. I do hope that you all understand this.
 Thanks,
 Ralph Thomas

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2009, 07:41:04 PM »
argo

I would like to see a well built Diesel lakester run at the lakes or on the salt. It might spark a new interest for others to build one. I love seeing the black cloud going down the course. By the way you didn't say where you live, you might be supprised that some one near you would like to get involved with a build.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

McRat

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2009, 08:17:11 PM »
I'm more than willing to help if you are in SoCal region.  951 270 0808 is my work number.  We will be closed Thur/Fri.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 11:37:05 PM »
Glen,

It won't spark I am sure of that... :wink:

Offline argo19c

• New folks
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2009, 05:12:24 PM »
Thank you Folks! We are located in the Mountain Town of Highlands, in Western North Carolina, 28741
 Thanks,
 Ralph Thomas

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2009, 05:52:19 PM »
NHRA has lead the way by rule changes to keep popular non-competitive vehicles in competition  -- like Harleys in Pro Stock Motorcycles.  And spec classes for their premiere vehicles.  SCTA does not have to follow suit.

Stan

Stan,

NHRA allows the Harleys and Buells to run in Pro Stock but they don't run the same size engines as the Suzuki and Kawasaki.  The Harleys and Buells are much bigger. Like you said this is a way to make non-competitive vehicles competitive. Road Racing is taking the same tack.  This year a 1300+cc Buell won the 600cc championship!!!

I'm new to LSR but would hate to this type of class structure creep into the sport.

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 07:11:29 PM »
Thats why we have classes for pushrod bikes.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

McRat

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2009, 07:28:27 PM »
NHRA has lead the way by rule changes to keep popular non-competitive vehicles in competition  -- like Harleys in Pro Stock Motorcycles.  And spec classes for their premiere vehicles.  SCTA does not have to follow suit.

Stan

Stan,

NHRA allows the Harleys and Buells to run in Pro Stock but they don't run the same size engines as the Suzuki and Kawasaki.  The Harleys and Buells are much bigger. Like you said this is a way to make non-competitive vehicles competitive. Road Racing is taking the same tack.  This year a 1300+cc Buell won the 600cc championship!!!

I'm new to LSR but would hate to this type of class structure creep into the sport.

Buzz

I'm pretty sure displacement handicapping was used in SCTA LSR in the past, and has mostly been eliminated.  Blown engines were displacement reduction classes?

I don't think anyone wants diesels to run displacement handicaps anymore than people want the other special engine types to run handicaps.  Handicaps nearly always have to be adjusted as time goes on, and that's more work than new classes are.

BTW - diesels have some displacement handicapping with SCTA LSR.  MDT/UDT are displacement handicapped.  Minitrucks get 500ci, Full-sized pickups get 750ci, and Big-Rigs are unlimited.  

Offline argo19c

• New folks
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2009, 09:00:49 AM »
I know this is slightly off the subject. But, do not gas engines have a displacement handicap against Rotary engines. In all other forms of racing a Rotary engine is regulated to twice the displacement of the standard Rotary engines size; i.e. a 12A Rotary engine has a displacement of 1116 cc and is adjusted to 2232 cc to be equal to a gas engine. Land Racing is the only form of motorsports that increases the rotary displacement three time its normal displacement; i.e. that same 12A Rotary engine would compete in class E (up to 4 liters) instead of at the bottom end of class F. Correct me if I am wrong on this?
 Thanks,
 Ralph Thomas   

McRat

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2009, 11:12:22 AM »
I know this is slightly off the subject. But, do not gas engines have a displacement handicap against Rotary engines. In all other forms of racing a Rotary engine is regulated to twice the displacement of the standard Rotary engines size; i.e. a 12A Rotary engine has a displacement of 1116 cc and is adjusted to 2232 cc to be equal to a gas engine. Land Racing is the only form of motorsports that increases the rotary displacement three time its normal displacement; i.e. that same 12A Rotary engine would compete in class E (up to 4 liters) instead of at the bottom end of class F. Correct me if I am wrong on this?
 Thanks,
 Ralph Thomas   
We need a Hijack Smiley...  :-D

I think they went by Mazda's advertised HP claims in their RX8, which was actually found to be far lower in real life, and Mazda had to buy many of them back from disappointed owners.   :|

I'm kidding of course, but I do get a little frustrated at the Greenies who claim that a Wankel is a Green engine, and a way to lower fuel use.  RIIGGGHHTT.

Specs are approximates:

2010 Corvette, 3200lb, 430HP, 26mpg highway.
2010 RX8, 3000lb, 238HP?, 22mpg highway.

The RX8 is both a smaller and lighter car, and I don't have to bother stating what a huge difference in performance there is.  The Vette is a lowly 2v pushrod V8.

I believe the SCTA calculation is based on the true amount of air drawn in by each lobe of the Wankel.  Some orgs take in consideration that Wankel power efficiency is only 2/3rd's that of a 4-stroke in real life, so the handicapping is going on in the other orgs.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2009, 01:31:56 PM »
Gee, I want a class for left-handed thread wheel studs on a cardboard body with a CD of .31 driven by a lesbian Nazi.

So what's wrong with running one of the zillion classes we have already? What other racing organization puts up with the screwy way we do business. Count up the number of records set this year in non-competitive motorcycle classes. Yes, I'm talking to you vintage and pushrod guys.

As soon as you open up a new class you create instant records for the one guy that runs that class. Yes, there's an argument for diesel lakester.

But you have to stop somewhere.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2009, 02:49:57 PM »

But you have to stop somewhere.

Why?  :? I like long lines, and circus atmosphere.  :evil: ROFLMAO

I am only kidding Dean.

Tom G. 
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2009, 02:52:21 PM »
Waaaa...Waaaa... I want my own class...I'm going to hold my breath till I turn blue and stomp my feet...Waaaa....Waaaa....Me and my Florida buddy are going to get lawyers and you guys will see... Waaaa....Waaa.

Give me a fricking break....................... :-P
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro