Author Topic: Fire sytem size  (Read 2983 times)

Offline oldracer19

• Plan B Racing
Fire sytem size
« on: December 17, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
I was browsing some vendors , looking at the fire systems.  I noticed the AFFF systems sized by liters in stead of pounds.  What is the size system in liters ( a volume) which SCTA equates to a 10lb sytem? :?
"because plan A never works"

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Fire sytem size
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 09:29:31 AM »
ask AFFF their label is what the inspectors are going to base the decesion on!!!!!!!1 :-D :
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

McRat

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 11:13:49 AM »
Beware.  There is at least one popular brand of AFFF that is a few ounces underweight, and it has caused problems.

I bought one of them. The company who sold it to me misrepresented it to a degree, and would not take it back.  :|
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:35:14 AM by McRat »

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 01:29:48 PM »
We really should not be made to BEWARE. As times change especially with packaging of a product the association should include both styles of requirements. If the "old way" is pounds and now some manufacturers are listing them in "liters" we should have both listed. If the "normal" new packaging is a small amount less than our original "pound" # it should be noted. I don't know if I'm saying this correctly but if 5 liters is 2 ouces short of our old pound # and the next packaging is 10 liters we have a problem. If we can get 6 liters just buy that; but I would guess the 10.

Personally to me as a past inspector I would look to see what the competor has done and see if it meets specs within reason. If I see a system the obviously looks like a 2 pound system and not a 10 I would have a discussion with the lead inspector about disallowing it. But if it looks like a 10 pound bottle systen and is a ounce short by using some formula that converted pound to liters if that is even possible it would be a moot point to me. I have looked in many cars with way over the minimum some by 10 or more pounds. I look at tags and dates an say no more.

Seeing a single system to do both jobs, drivers and engine compartment, has alway bothered me, but it is allowed in the rule book. 

To me we are looking a a fire suppresent product here and how it can do the job we are asking it to do. Supressant systems are hundreds of dollars and there are only so many being made. They are under many restrictions which the SCTA and other racing organizations have very little control.

I hope this does not lead to problems which are really not needed.........Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 02:59:40 PM »
Hey, fellas -- we can't compare pounds to liters -- it's like comparing pounds to gallons.  One is a dry weight measurement, the other is a volume measurement. 

If the equipment supplier lists a weight per unit of volume -- be it liters or gallons or bushels -- then the comparison can go forward.  Otherwise it just cain't be done.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

McRat

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 03:52:12 PM »
We really should not be made to BEWARE. ...

I agree, but it's not a new issue, and so far there is nothing in the rules to allow the alternate volume measurement, or to slightly reduce the weight req to allow for it.

Anyhow, the volume should be about 2.3 liters for a 5lb extinguisher, and 4.6L for a 10lb'r.

Oddly enough, that is what is MARKED on the AFFF bottles (2.3/4.6), but for some reason, the weight does not line up with the volume.  IIRC, the 5lb is 6oz light, and the 10lb is 10oz light.