Author Topic: Prewar V12 aircraft engine in a Land speed racer  (Read 22361 times)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Prewar V12 aircraft engine in a Land speed racer
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 01:57:40 AM »
Billqvist

You might like this
This is one of the founding members of the DLRA in a car he knocked together himself
He was also the guy that put a Merlin and a street legal 55 chev
The license plate on it is a dealer plate, used for moving unregistered cars around. not within the letter of the law
Favourite bit is when he gets it running and al the car alarms go off
G
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AMJJjeqX1o

Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Billqvist

• New folks
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 03:23:07 PM »
I really like it. Fantastic car and holly smoke what a sound!!! I do look forward to start the engine ASAP. Thanks for sharing the youtube clip.
it´s now or never...

Offline fastman614

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2011, 11:48:30 PM »
Here is a picture of the "flipped" air-cooled 773 cubic inch Ranger V12.

It has had significant modifications to the oiling system.  I made the intake and the two Holleys replaced the giant updraft Bendix Stromberg unit.

It is not terribly heavy (less than 1000 pounds) it has two overhead cams, 20 pounds of boost and sounds sweet.

I have adapted a Turbo 400 trans and am not sure what it will end up in.

The inertia starter works well but I am also installing a GM 24 volt CUCV starter for a backup as the inertia starters can be problematic and are kinda hard to find.

The engine and trans are approximately 8' long.  One option was to install it in the back of a truck ala Dunn's Salt Toy.  I know no class exists for a gas powered rear engine truck but in "AA/BG anything" we will be "time only" anyway.

We shall see what happens down the road....

Just so you know though.... Art Dick out od Astoria Oregon, ran a 12V-92 Detroit Diesel in the front of a Ford Supercab pickup.... he sat in the back seat and had room to spare.... a V12 Detroit Diesel is a pretty long engine

Or you could always build a rear engined modified roadster.....

One thing that comes to mind.... the rules used to state unequivocally that any engine used had to be an automotive engine.... DO double check this point as you may find yourself running for time only and it won't matter much what chassis/body you have this engine mounted in.
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.