Author Topic: Tubing Bender Stands  (Read 10741 times)

Offline isiahstites

Tubing Bender Stands
« on: December 12, 2009, 01:09:53 PM »
I need some ideas for a tubing bender stand. I am going to build my own so any pictures you might have would be helpful. I don't have a large garage so I would like to put it away when I am done. Any help is appreciated!

Scott

My bender

Mounting location

Offline stratman59

Re: Tubing Bender Stands
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 06:58:11 PM »
Scott,

You could weld the bottom of your stand to a 12" x 12" flat plate 1/2" to 3/4" thick.
Drill mounting hole in the plate transfer to the floor drill holes in the floor to match, then install lead shields. Bolt the bender to the floor with lag bolts and when finished using unbolt and there's no studs out of the floor to trip on.
The  shields and bolts you can get from Lowes and come in different sizes.
Hope this helps.

Robbie

Offline willieworld

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 10:08:34 PM »
scott my bender is pretty much like yours---it bolts to a 12 in X 12 in X 1 in plate --that welds to a 4 in 1/4 in wall round tube --that welds to a 21 in round plate 1/2 in thick that bolts to the floor with 3 studs and nuts that are 1/2 in dia. --the studs and nuts unscrew and just leave 3 holes in the floor---my shop is big enough that i never move it though---its been there for 22 years and ive bent 2 in X .250 wall tubing with no problem---if you like i will post some pics  ---the 12 X 12 X 1 in might be overkill but its a piece i had  im sure that 1/2 in would work as good ---one more thing i discovered is make it so the handle is chest high it will be easier to pull ---------------------------willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 10:51:33 PM »
Drill mounting hole in the plate transfer to the floor drill holes in the floor to match, then install lead shields. Bolt the bender to the floor with lag bolts and when finished using unbolt and there's no studs out of the floor to trip on.

Thanks, that is something I had planned on doing and already have the anchors and the bolts.

Thanks for the emails and replies, I had most of the material, I just picked up a piece of square tubing from my friend Randy N. as all of the steel shops were closed today. I will drill and weld it all together tomorrow and will start bending tube.

Scott

Offline redrock_2003

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 11:30:03 PM »
     A few years ago I bought a JD Squared Model 4 (HYD.) bender. I built the base out of a 24" X 24" X 1/2" piece of plate, then I welded a piece of 3" tubing the base and attached the bender to that. The whole unit was mounted on 2" casters. In each corner of the 1/2" plate I threaded a hole and installed a piece of all thread with a plate welded to the bottom and a nut welded to the top. That way I could level the bender.

Dave 

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 01:08:08 AM »

The difference between the hydraulic powered bender and the one shown is that the hydraulic one is self contained and doesn't have to resist the input forces used to bend the tubing. The effort put in to pulling the handle, which can be quite extensive, has to be resisted in the pictured model by bolting it firmly to the floor or other immoveable object. Be SURE you have lots of room to pull the handle and bring the handle to a height where you can apply lots of force and yet still work down on the tube when you're checking the degree of bend.

A slight over bend can be removed by placing one end under a handy heavy object and prying upward with the other arm of the bend. Be gentle, the unbending happens fast.

Pete

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 11:56:47 AM »
And stick plastic plugs in the lead shields to keep them from filling w/ dirt. As an aside, I bought my bender out the "Bargain corner" in the G.R. Press about 15yrs. ago. Went to a real sketchy part of town,and an even sketchier looking guy`s shop. Walk in the door, there is a Hossfeld #2 bender( w/ every die known to man) bolted to the floor. Guy says he bought it to build a race car but changed his mind. $125... Crammed it in the trunk and back seat of a `69 Newport and scurried back to my side of town.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 03:33:11 PM »
Ours is on a post set in concrete outside. It is set up when we need it. There is plenty of room to swing any length of tube. My son needed to use it at a buddy's house so he made a stand that plugs into the reciever hitch on his truck.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 01:21:30 AM »
All great ideas Scott. Maybe even put it in the driveway so you'll have room to work... So, whatcha buildin???  :wink:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 11:05:03 AM »
I thought I was going to have to ask. :roll:

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 08:08:42 PM »
Thanks for everyones input it's greatly appreciated!

Scott

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 09:50:44 PM »
So your not going to tell us what you are building, Scott?? :cry:

Fred
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 10:30:03 PM »
So your not going to tell us what you are building, Scott?? :cry:

Fred
Sorry Fred, I did not see the post. I have not decided yet, I may stretch the ass end of the Harley so I can get in a lower seating postition. I bought the bender over a year ago and it has been sitting and rusting. I thought I should build a stand for the dam thing so it gets some use.

Scott

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 10:39:34 PM »
I had one for about 15 years, mounted after 10 yrs used it a couple of times and finally sold it.

Whats up for the busa for next year??

Fred
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 10:52:33 PM »
I had one for about 15 years, mounted after 10 yrs used it a couple of times and finally sold it.

Whats up for the busa for next year??

Fred

I have decided yet Fred. I am trying to decide which direction I want to take each bike. Rest assured I will be racing one of the two next year with intentions of continuing to better my personal bests.

Scott