Author Topic: What safety equipment is in the shop and the race trailer?  (Read 6862 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
What safety equipment is in the shop and the race trailer?
« on: December 12, 2009, 12:08:36 PM »
Okay -- since the subject was broached elsewhere in the Forum - I think it's a good idea for each of us to give deep thought to what safety equipment do we have, and how available/right at hand in an emergency/maintained and inspected is it?

In our garage I've got a 5# dry chemical extinguisher hanging by the back walk door and a 10# CO2 extinguisher by the front door -- but will be mounted between the two overhead doors any day.  I've got a 2 1/2# dry chemical in the garage -- sitting loose on the workbench.  And I've got a 5# dry chem. hanging just inside the door to the basement in the house.

Each of the dry chem. units has an inspection tag -- and monthly I take a rubber mallet and gently smack the canister a couple of times to make sure the powder hasn't settled into a useless lump at the bottom (smack while holding the ext. upside down), then write down the date.

Next post will talk about using jack stands when working under a vehicle -- even if just changing tires.  Let's here what ideas you've got in use -- or should have -- in your work place.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:18:06 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: What safety equipment is in the shop?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 12:12:39 PM »
A first aid kit with eye wash, and a mirror so you can see a cut etc. to patch if you are alone.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 12:15:18 PM »
Jon, how about we start a shop and race trailer safety tab. Mayby we can get some pictues of what others are doing.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 12:17:53 PM »
from willies builds   This section probably should have been my first posting on this site. But like I said, hopefully we're all going to learn something from this site, myself included. This section is going  to be about safety. I know it sounds kind of boring.
I'm going to try to list some things that I feel are important. I know I haven't covered everything. If someone would like to post something please feel free to email me at willieworld@hotmail.com. Probably the most important thing, other than not getting killed, is eye protection. You probably should wear eye protection everytime you are working in your shop. You don't have to be beating  on something to get something in your eyes. You could be working under a car and get rust or dirt into your eyes. And while we are at it, it might be a good idea to protect your hearing as well. You can do that with something as simple as earplugs. You should have at least two fire extinguishers in your shop or garage. In your shop or garage, if at all possible, should have two exits, on opposite walls. If there are doors and they lock, when you are working you should have them unlocked so if something bad happens you will be able to get out(or help will be able to get in). If you work in your shop alone like I do, and it is not attached to the house, it would be good idea to have a cell phone. That way if you get into trouble you will be able to call for help.
You should have a good first aid kit and you should know how to use a tourniquet. You should have an eye wash kit and ice if possible. You should wear some kind of leather high top shoes with your pants over the top to keep out hot metal and sharp objects. You should not wear loose clothing  or gloves around any kind of spinning, cutting or turning equipment. If you have a long beard or long hair, tuck it in. Keep your shop floor clean and don't run hoses and cords all over the place.
Keep flammable liquids in a metal cabinet away from sparks. Keep a metal garbage can around with a metal lid on it. Theres probably alot more. If you guys can think of any, please write me and I will add them to the list.
Be safe   Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: What safety equipment is in the shop and the race trailer?
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »
Glen, the machine won't let me re-title this thread, but I hope we'll all see these first few posts -- and everyone will put in safety stuff for house, shop, trailer, even the race pit.

How close is your first aid kit?  Is it right close to the door of the trailer?  Is it well-labeled so anyone can find it -- not just you and your crew?  Do you refill it at least once a season, so the alcohol wipes are still fresh and usable, and so you've got enough of each kind of bandage ('cause you used up a bunch of some when Clyde cut his arm)?  Do you have one in the trailer, and one in the truck, and one in the shop?

I do, on all of the above.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 12:23:56 PM »
Don't rely on just one fire bottle.

Don't ask how I know, trust me.

(Hint: the easiest way to clean everything after the fire?  Don't have a fire.)
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 12:30:46 PM »
also try to pickup everything on the floor, cords, blocks of wood, cut off metal scrap,beer cans  ect sometimes you get drunk and may fall over these things. then you need the first aid kit. :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 12:47:59 PM »
That is my worst saftey habit :oops:---I do not keep the shop floor picked up :cry:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 12:59:55 PM »
Bwahahahhaaha - good point. (and I'm guilty of all items)

It should be added, all the stuff on the floor makes running around w/ empty fire bottles more challenging!

(Note to self, need beer)

also try to pickup everything on the floor, cords, blocks of wood, cut off metal scrap,beer cans  ect sometimes you get drunk and may fall over these things. then you need the first aid kit. :roll:
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline salt27

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 01:23:45 PM »
Wandering a little off this subject, but still safety related.
Keep a stash of food and drink in your vehicle, especially with our current weather.

Don

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 02:59:56 PM »
Always have two fire extinguishers. As noted, one might fail, and if you have a gas line leak you might just need two to contain the fire.

Don't wear rings or jewelry while working. Wear safety glasses always. Don't work alone if you can avoid it. The wife might hate it when you are in the garage, but make sure she checks on you occasionally. It's a bummer to pass out and nobody knows about it.

Take a Red Cross certified first aid course.

I went to a Boy Scout Camporee that required a fire extinguisher in every vehicle. I had the back partition on my PT Cruiser down low to make a flat floor, and that leaves about a 4" space underneath. That's where I put the fire extinguisher. And forgot it was there.

Flash to about 2 weeks later. After banging around the back, the safety pin came out. I went over a bump and heard this weird whooshing noise. I looked in the mirror as the fog was rolling toward me. Then whiteout. I had stopped by that time. Ah, it was a weird sight to see this REALLY white guy come bailing out of his smoking car, laughing so hard snot was coming out.

It took a few hours to get it cleaned up.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

LittleLiner

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 03:22:43 PM »
In any vehicle (Tow vehicle, racecar, personal vehicle) you should secure any loose items and be sure items that are secure will not come flying loose in the event of a crash.  Poorly secured fire extinguishers are a good example.

Items on trailers or in pickup beds should be secured so they do not come loose in emergency manuvers or crashes.  Securing something just well enough to prevent it from rolling/sliding or flying off under normal conditions is not good enough.

McRat

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 04:08:56 PM »
DOH!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 11:58:57 AM by McRat »

Offline Bville701

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 07:14:56 PM »
Glen, the machine won't let me re-title this thread, but I hope we'll all see these first few posts -- and everyone will put in safety stuff for house, shop, trailer, even the race pit.

How close is your first aid kit?  Is it right close to the door of the trailer?  Is it well-labeled so anyone can find it -- not just you and your crew?  Do you refill it at least once a season, so the alcohol wipes are still fresh and usable, and so you've got enough of each kind of bandage ('cause you used up a bunch of some when Clyde cut his arm)?  Do you have one in the trailer, and one in the truck, and one in the shop?

I do, on all of the above.

Slim,

This is a good point. My dad (Dynoroom) and I were working on getting the trailer ready for Speed Week, and while cutting some aluminum he dropped it and sliced his arm open pretty good. We had the First Aid kit right next to the garage door, very easily marked. When we opened the first aid kit to get some bandages and "butterflies," there were no bandages.  :-o I had to drive to the store and get some bandages. Luckily the "gash" wasn't too bad, but you bring up a great point. Always keep you first aid kit well stocked. :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 07:38:26 PM »
Something I'm going to work on is to keep the space clear.  It's tough to do - I'm working out of a 2-1/2 car garage with three cars in it, (granted, a Midget isn't very big, and neither an MGB) but it's a discipline that minimal space will force.  Looking at most of the builds on this forum, it's clear that I've got some work to do on it.  I need to be more conscious of it.

I have found that cramped space causes me to make stupid mistakes, and probably dangerous decisions.  I've been storing most of my spare parts in the attic (I'm grateful to have an understanding wife), but there are still some items I keep in the garage that would probably be best moved elsewhere to allow me the elbow room to work comfortably and safely.

Willie's idea of keeping the cell phone handy is very good - I'm thinking keep it in my pocket as my garage is detached, and quite honestly I doubt if Kate would hear me if something went wrong.  I do always let her know when I'm working in the garage, and every now and then, she comes out to check on me.  Yes, I am still in love with my wife.

Slim, thanks for starting this one, and thanks to everyone for their posts.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: