Author Topic: Active Handling.  (Read 8253 times)

McRat

Active Handling.
« on: December 11, 2009, 12:08:05 PM »
As I was driving a GM car equipped with computer controlled Babysitting this morning, I realized how good this system really is.  When the road was clear, I started to goof off a bit with it.  I could not "upset" the car.  Not with over 550HP on tap in RWD on summer-performance tires.  Just a bit of slip was allowed, but it would not permit the car to go in a direction that the steering wheel was not pointed in.  Nail the brakes or mat the gas in a corner?  No problemo, nothing abrupt, no surprises.

And it was raining.

This system was first released in 1997, and has gotten better.  But even with the first gen systems, I found it controlled spins, oversteer and understeer quite well.

On a roadrace track with the first gen Vette system, I did laps with it on, then turned it off.  Yup, I could go about 1.5 seconds a lap quicker with it off, but the second I pulled a boner, I spun.  It really does "save yourself from yourself".  BTW - I did race with it off most the time, since I was looking to go as fast as possible, but I wanted to see it's effect.

But perhaps the dragstrip was more telling as it would relate to LSR efforts.  I have spoke out a lot on the issue at the track, and on the Corvette sites.  Yes, you can turn off the Traction Control (but most of you won't go any quicker).  But do not turn off the Active Handling.  You will not go quicker regardless of your experience level or HP, and you WILL center-punch the rail if you screw up and it's off.  That is based on watching a lot of "macho men" and one "I can drive, don't need your advice" lady go home on a flatbed and delay the racing for an hour or more.  Luckily an 80mph encounter with the wall won't often injure the driver, but it will total the car.  I have run alot with it on and with it off, and it makes zero difference in ET's or trap speeds.  

More and more cars are being equipped with this technology, and the price is falling.  It uses accelerometers to determine the rotational acceleration, forward and braking rates, then compares it to what the driver is doing with the controls.  It uses individual corner braking and throttle reduction to steer the car in the intended direction.  ie - if you are holding the steering wheel straight, and the car starts to rotate, it steers the car like a bulldozer.  

So if you are running a vehicle so equipped, do not disable the system; you are not roadracing.  If you are starting a new "ground up" coupe built, consider using a "rolling chassis" with this system.  

Because no amount of impact safety equipment can ever be as safe as not wrecking the car to begin with.  

This has been an unpaid advertisement by General Motors, if this had been an actual commercial, broadcasters in your area would advise you to locate a GM dealer near you for further information and news.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:14:14 PM by McRat »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Active Handling.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 12:17:44 PM »
I have been retired for 2 years now but I used to train salespeople about this stuff---pretty awsome 
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bbarn

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:54:34 PM »
Is it legal in the auto streamliner class? Kind of along the same lines, is traction control and movable aero legal as well? I saw a thread on these, but couldn't really determine if there was an answer. I would assume that all three of these may fall under the same category.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 01:39:10 PM »
Yes Virgina,

All three are allowed with a streamliner. There is a Santa Claus.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

McRat

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 01:49:11 PM »
If it isn't legal, it should be.  

In unrelated GM news, after many years of hotrodders stuffing SBC's into mini-trucks, the new Colorado mini has an LS1-family V8 crammed under the bonnet.  While the factory rating of it's 5.3L Corvette-derived powerplant is a meager 300HP, it is plug and play compatible with both the 505HP naturally aspirated 427ci, and the insanity-impaired 638HP (derated) ZR-1 blown small block, which share form factors.

While Dodge had indeed stuck a V8 in their "midi" Dakota truck first, this is the first "mini" truck with V8 that I am aware of.

McRat

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »
Yes Virgina,

DW

DOH!!!  Guess I hit enter slow.  My work keeps interfering with goofing off on the interwebbythingy.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 01:58:28 PM »
Yes Virgina,

DW
That was the main attraction to streamliner for me. 4wheels min., Some safety rules, Free for all from there. Jerry
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 02:06:32 PM »
Yes Virgina,

DW

Thank you for the early Christmas present DW!!!
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 02:58:50 PM »
I understand that the V-8 is only available in the extended cab and crew cab models.  You remember the crew cab commercial with the six guys in it --0ne singing "Feel Like a Woman."  How they found six so well-proportioned little men (is that politically correct enuf?) is a mystery to me.

See your GM dealer for more info?  Not usually.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 03:10:36 PM »
I can see it now we will soon have: B/MP ---whooee  may have to rethink not owning a Gvt. Motors PU --- Mayor  are you in route to your nearest GMC dlr
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:24:31 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 03:22:07 PM »
Hey Santa Claus aka DW, I thought traction control and movable aero device are legal across the board on cars.  If not we might need a rule like in F1 that bans wheel discs from rotating with the wheel. Tony  :cheers:
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline desotoman

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 03:32:04 PM »
As I was driving a GM car equipped with computer controlled Babysitting this morning, I realized how good this system really is.  When the road was clear, I started to goof off a bit with it.  I could not "upset" the car.  Not with over 550HP on tap in RWD on summer-performance tires.  Just a bit of slip was allowed, but it would not permit the car to go in a direction that the steering wheel was not pointed in.  Nail the brakes or mat the gas in a corner?  No problemo, nothing abrupt, no surprises.

And it was raining.

This system was first released in 1997, and has gotten better.  But even with the first gen systems, I found it controlled spins, oversteer and understeer quite well.

On a roadrace track with the first gen Vette system, I did laps with it on, then turned it off.  Yup, I could go about 1.5 seconds a lap quicker with it off, but the second I pulled a boner, I spun.  It really does "save yourself from yourself".  BTW - I did race with it off most the time, since I was looking to go as fast as possible, but I wanted to see it's effect.

But perhaps the dragstrip was more telling as it would relate to LSR efforts.  I have spoke out a lot on the issue at the track, and on the Corvette sites.  Yes, you can turn off the Traction Control (but most of you won't go any quicker).  But do not turn off the Active Handling.  You will not go quicker regardless of your experience level or HP, and you WILL center-punch the rail if you screw up and it's off.  That is based on watching a lot of "macho men" and one "I can drive, don't need your advice" lady go home on a flatbed and delay the racing for an hour or more.  Luckily an 80mph encounter with the wall won't often injure the driver, but it will total the car.  I have run alot with it on and with it off, and it makes zero difference in ET's or trap speeds.  

More and more cars are being equipped with this technology, and the price is falling.  It uses accelerometers to determine the rotational acceleration, forward and braking rates, then compares it to what the driver is doing with the controls.  It uses individual corner braking and throttle reduction to steer the car in the intended direction.  ie - if you are holding the steering wheel straight, and the car starts to rotate, it steers the car like a bulldozer.  

So if you are running a vehicle so equipped, do not disable the system; you are not roadracing.  If you are starting a new "ground up" coupe built, consider using a "rolling chassis" with this system.  

Because no amount of impact safety equipment can ever be as safe as not wrecking the car to begin with.  

This has been an unpaid advertisement by General Motors, if this had been an actual commercial, broadcasters in your area would advise you to locate a GM dealer near you for further information and news.

Sorry, but I grew up in an era where the person with the most driving talent took home the trophy. The only way you get that experience is by trial and error.

The only thing these computer controlled vehicles do is make everyone think they are capable of being a race car driver. And we all know that is not true.

How would I have ever learned to ride a Dirt Bike if a computer would not let me fall on my ass because of something stupid I did. Yes I injured myself a few times but it made me a better rider in the long run.

End of Rant.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline dw230

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 05:25:22 PM »
"... I thought traction control and movable aero device are legal across the board on cars."

He only asked about streamliners.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

McRat

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 05:34:57 PM »

And it was raining.

Sorry, but I grew up in an era where the person with the most driving talent took home the trophy. The only way you get that experience is by trial and error.

The only thing these computer controlled vehicles do is make everyone think they are capable of being a race car driver. And we all know that is not true.

How would I have ever learned to ride a Dirt Bike if a computer would not let me fall on my Acura because of something stupid I did. Yes I injured myself a few times but it made me a better rider in the long run.

End of Rant.

Tom G.
These systems allow auto mfr's to continue the HP wars.  I do not believe anyone should be able to own or drive a car without any kind of training whatsoever as to defensive or performance driving.  But that's unlikely to happen in my lifetime, so Babysitting controls are the answer, as long as I get the choice whether to activate it.  Or we all drive Priuses.

But then again, I drive to work surrounded by those underqualified to operate anything more complicated than Nikes on a daily basis so I'm a bit jaded.

Anti-lock, TC, A/H, radial tires, disc brakes, shock absorbers, electric starters, etc, are new technologies.  Real men start their cars by handcrank, run non-pneu tires, and adjust the ignition timing as they are driving.  Only wussies need an automatic trans or a clutch.

It's one of those safety items that is not for everyone I suppose, like 4 wheel brakes or other methods to resist crashing instead of surviving one.

Yes, I grew up before the Rev Limiter, and do not use one.  Yes, I also raced desert bikes for years, and think any bike without a kickstarter should have a handicap sticker on it. ;)

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 05:54:23 PM by McRat »

McRat

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 05:41:09 PM »
I understand that the V-8 is only available in the extended cab and crew cab models.  You remember the crew cab commercial with the six guys in it --0ne singing "Feel Like a Woman."  How they found six so well-proportioned little men (is that politically correct enuf?) is a mystery to me.

See your GM dealer for more info?  Not usually.

Stan

You would be correct.  No V8's in RC configs.  But the EC is more aero.  

The SBC now is well past 500HP naturally aspired, with super low emissions (SLEV), yet is still a 2v pushrod V8 with the original bore spacing as it was in the 50's.

Buy a Ford?  Uh, do they sell performance cars?  Not that I'm aware of.  

Wait.  I think they slap a supercharger on a 4v DOHC V8 to achieve similiar output as a NA pushrod engine.  Does that qualify?   :?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 05:55:00 PM by McRat »