Author Topic: what are the odds.................  (Read 3216 times)

Offline johnneilson

what are the odds.................
« on: December 10, 2009, 11:56:35 PM »
Last evening, My Wife and I went to the local family restaurant and as usual, the 3 year old needs to visit the rest room.
In route returning to our booth, I notice a gentleman wearing an SR71 ball cap. I strike up a conversation about the Black Bird and how todays designs will never be as unique. We talk a little about that and the propulsion systems and then he introduces himself as Robert Gilliland. He was the principle test pilot and the first flight pilot for the SR71!! Holy mackeral!! He took the first flight when I was 4 years old almost to the day and still has the worlds records for flight hours over mach 2 and mach 3.

Now, what are the odds of chance meeting someone who has even been to mach 3, and holds the worlds record for time at that speed?
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline stratman59

Re: what are the odds.................
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 06:40:08 AM »
I don't know the  odds but that's a cool story.

Robbie

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 09:54:35 AM »
Well, the odds are greatly improved if you're an attendee of the NorthWest Reunion in Portland each February.  Two years ago the featured speaker for Friday night was an SR-71 pilot -- his claim to fame is the most total flight hours in the bird.  I apologise for not remembering his name, nor that of the fellow that had spent huge hours and effort learning the story and history of the SR71.  But boyoboy did wwe all learn lots about the plane -- and saw quite a bit of video, too.

And then, to continue the brag -- the plane was designed largely by Kelly Johnson -- a kid from nearby (to Skandia, that is) Ishpeming, Michigan.  The Marquette County airport's main street is named Kelly Johnson Drive in his honor.  No, I never met him -- but dang, the SR71 is fantabulous.  We got up close to one at the Hill AFB museum/exhibit in Odgen, Utah.

Still -- meeting the guy at coffee makes for a grteat opportunity.  Wish I had been there.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 10:38:06 AM »
And I thought holding the door for Mitzi Gaynor at the Grand Plaza was cool....................
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 01:00:17 PM »
The pilot's name was BC Thomas and the man that convinced him to come to the banquet was Larry Johnson, who has since then passed on.

I owe a lot to both of them for that evening.

It's apparent that SSS's CRS has not totally taken over.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 03:21:53 PM »
I got to spend several hrs with Chuck Yeager at a Dallas Sarari Club Show--(he was the banquet speaker that night)-----talking about 4x4 .  The next day I took my hard copy of his book to the show just incase he came back---stood near him for 2.5 hrs with the book and a pen in sight---Finally, he said "Damm it Smith, bring the damm thing here."  When he finished signing I apoliged to him and said that was only the 2nd autograph I had ever asked for.  He said that when he had to go on the "BOOK tour" he had felt like a whore and he hated signing the books with a passion and my was one of a very very few he had signed after the tour..---Needless to say I thanked him profusely!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 07:11:51 PM »
 :-o  Wow I have several pics of the Blackbird around the house. I even noted that the latest transformer movie uses one to transform into one of their creatures. I envy you and wish I could have even been a fly on the wall during that meeting.  Did he tell you that they leaked fuel till getting up to speed and the metal swelled from the friction at speed. :cheers:
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 07:30:04 PM »
I consider myself lucky, I was at Oshkosh in around 95,96 or 97 and got to see one fly. It was one of the 2 that NASA was using for high altitude research, the military had already mothballed the rest of the fleet. I've been fortunate enough to see many planes fly, the stealth bomber, the constellation "Conny", the B29, Thunderbirds, Blue Angels and none of them compare to seeing an SR71 in flight. When they departed the pattern, they did so with about 30 feet fire exiting the rear of those two massive engines. It was loud and impressive, Kelly Johnson was quite the man. :cheers:
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 08:00:45 PM »
Sounds like the way I felt meeting astronaut Frank Borman at a bar in Custer Mt. Turns out he has a big ranch just on the other side of the Yellowstone river. Just looked like an ordinary old rancher, hard to believe he acomplished what he did.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 08:35:55 PM »
Yes, we discussed the most popular known subjects about Habu, thats what the pilots used to call it.
The fuel leakage, yes, the sealant actually glows as the fuel seepage through the seam burns because of the friction prior to the panels sealing up.

You just never know who you are walking past on the return trip from the lew.
And, if I ever see him again eating dinner by himself, if he chooses to, will have an ear or two to fill with stories.

As it turns out, my neighbor used to street race around this part of town and knew Eddie Meyer. In fact, when he went off to serve in  WWII, his Dad sold his race motor that he "stored" under a bench in the back of the garage, carbs and all. I find this very different, hearing history rather than reading about it.

John

As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.