Author Topic: Dirt Bike classes?  (Read 12446 times)

McRat

Re: Dirt Bike classes?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 03:09:22 PM »
OK, so a normal dirtbike with the required safety modifications would run A-G class, correct?

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 05:46:20 PM by McRat »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 03:50:08 PM »
I don't think you ought to feel safe in considering a stock dirt bike eligible for the "open" bike classes -- since in this case "open" means no streamlining in front of the rider.  Does the bike have hand guards?  Those might be considered streamlining.  Ditto does it have any windscreen?  How about shrouds to deflect air into/away from the radiator?  If you're serious about it -- I'd think a photo and note to Tom Evans or Van Butler would be a safe way to go.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
Just in case you don't know it -- at Bub's the diesel bikes are run by the company that modifies Kawasaki KLR650 bikes by taking out the gas engine and putting in a diesel.  They developed the bike at the behest of the U S military -- and have been racing them since they got close to producing them.  They were in touch with me back before they started racing, asking about how they could go out to the Salt and get some official runs/timing slips/publicity -- and the rest is history.  They seem to have a ball doing it, too.

HDT - Hayes Diversified Technologies
http://www.hdtusa.com
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 08:31:12 PM »
A friend was asking me what class you would run with a production dirt bike produced in large quantities.  If it had a street version as well with the same frame and engine, would that make a difference?  Could you "make" it into a street bike by swapping the street pieces? 

I read the book and could not come up with an answer.

Just my two cents worth.

Since frame and engine numbers are not checked I would say if you wanted to spend the time and money to convert a dirt bike to a street bike and run Production, you could.

..The cavate is that the bike MUST appear identical in all respects to the production model it represents. That would mean it would be necessary to add Full lighting, production exhaust, air box, frame, forks, wheels, brakes, gas tank, fenders and seat (and many more misc items) to make the dirt bike legal.
By the time you spend all of the money, and spent all the hours, necessary to bring the bike up to Production specifications you'd be better off buying the street model of the bike to began with.

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »
Wait a second, a dirt bike is a production bike! why would you have to make it look like a different "production" bike.

I have a 85 Yamaha YZ490 laying in my shop and have often thought about running it but could not figure out the class. Back in the 80s Dirt Bike magazine ran a "production" KTM 495 at Elmo and went around 125 with it.

Just stirring the "do do"

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 12:35:57 AM »
production 7.E.1.   this class is limited to production, street-legal motorcycles of which 500 or more-------------------------------------------------------                                    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

McRat

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 12:36:23 AM »
There are more dirt bikes out there, so it's the street bikes that are the weirdos.  :evil:

But since we race on public roads, not the dirt, the bikes should be based on street bikes.

Wait ....

:cheers:

IIRC, the big KTM singles were (are?) offered in Enduro models.  It is nothing but a lighting coil and light kit added to the MX model, about $450 last I remember.

I certainly believe there might be more dirt bikes around than sidehack rigs.  :wink:

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 12:39:41 AM »
Wait a second, a dirt bike is a production bike! why would you have to make it look like a different "production" bike.

I have a 85 Yamaha YZ490 laying in my shop and have often thought about running it but could not figure out the class. Back in the 80s Dirt Bike magazine ran a "production" KTM 495 at Elmo and went around 125 with it.

Just stirring the "do do"

Rex

It was 123.75MPH  -  http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/Reviews+Vehicles%3A+KTM/Vintage-The-Fastest-Stock-Dirtbike-Ever-Built/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/523565?contextCategoryId=46421

Your YZ490 would rock!  It would be a Liter Bike killer!  Check this out  -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST4jjH4rPGc

And these, just for fun  - 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9q7HSWct2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4nSwm-r9rg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oet_HbV6ak

:evil:
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA