Author Topic: Dirt Bike classes?  (Read 12447 times)

McRat

Dirt Bike classes?
« on: December 09, 2009, 11:58:59 PM »
A friend was asking me what class you would run with a production dirt bike produced in large quantities.  If it had a street version as well with the same frame and engine, would that make a difference?  Could you "make" it into a street bike by swapping the street pieces? 

I read the book and could not come up with an answer.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Dirt Bike classes?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 12:06:05 AM »
S*#t, it's a motorcycle, there must be a class.....

Just ask Glen.   :-D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 12:10:32 AM »
Werner, my youngest son, ran his dirt bike at BUB.  It is a Honda CRF150F and he ran it as a 175cc modified partial streamliner with a production engine.  He installed the required safety equipment, street tires, and a fairing.  We had to make a chain guard.  Complying with AMA rules was no problem.  There is no street equivalent in the US for this Honda.

McRat

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 12:14:53 AM »
S*#t, it's a motorcycle, there must be a class.....

Just ask Glen.   :-D

They ain't no diesel BIKE classes though!!!   :-P

McRat

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 12:21:28 AM »
Werner, my youngest son, ran his dirt bike at BUB.  It is a Honda CRF150F and he ran it as a 175cc modified partial streamliner with a production engine.  He installed the required safety equipment, street tires, and a fairing.  We had to make a chain guard.  Complying with AMA rules was no problem.  There is no street equivalent in the US for this Honda.

I think he will be running Elmo under SCTA rules.  I'm not sure what the differences are between the various bike orgs.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 12:39:25 AM »
There are a lot of differences for bikes, safety gear, etc.  Some people find that it is easier to race at BUB under AMA rules, especially with the run-watcha-brung class.  There is no BUB at Elmo, though.     

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 01:13:10 AM »
there is a diesel bike class....Fred Hayes has been setting records in it for a few years now....
Kent

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 01:35:17 AM »
Would it run Production?  Doubt you could "make" it Production by adding the necessary pieces.  You could probably run Modified but the is no Modified at El Mirage.  So that leaves A Special Construction.  I think thats where it would wind up.  Where the hell is Stan Back when you need him?  He's the motorcycle expert.  Wish he knew as much about roadsters as he does bikes.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

McRat

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 01:41:04 AM »
there is a diesel bike class....Fred Hayes has been setting records in it for a few years now....
Kent

I was making a joke.  I call it "humor-lite", all the great joke buildup with 50% less punchline...

McRat

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 01:50:24 AM »
Would it run Production?  Doubt you could "make" it Production by adding the necessary pieces.  You could probably run Modified but the is no Modified at El Mirage.  So that leaves A Special Construction.  I think thats where it would wind up.  Where the hell is Stan Back when you need him?  He's the motorcycle expert.  Wish he knew as much about roadsters as he does bikes.

That's the only thing I could figure, Special Construction. 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 11:23:23 AM »
What if it has pushrods and a flathead and only one wheel?  Does it get 33-1/3 off the entry fee?

What if you then add a wheel on a stick, for a total of two -- is it a sidecar or a bike?

What if you paint it green, run diesel fuel -- does it run in the green fuel class?

What if . . . heck, haven't got time to list all the possibilities.

If there's someone else running in you class -- can you protest, or do you just add reflectors and run on an open record?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

McRat

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 11:42:01 AM »
What if it has pushrods and a flathead and only one wheel?  Does it get 33-1/3 off the entry fee?

What if you then add a wheel on a stick, for a total of two -- is it a sidecar or a bike?

What if you paint it green, run diesel fuel -- does it run in the green fuel class?

What if . . . heck, haven't got time to list all the possibilities.

If there's someone else running in you class -- can you protest, or do you just add reflectors and run on an open record?

Stan

I wonder why cars don't segregate by pushrod/OHC?  Probably because pushrods are just plain meaner in a car engine. "I fear not your shims nor your buckets, for I wield American Iron, and shall smite thee with my sixteen deadly pushrods."  - Sir William Smallbloc

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 12:19:21 PM »
Small block???  You did, of course, see the results of Hot Rod mag's Drag Week??

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

McRat

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 12:21:41 PM »
Small block???  You did, of course, see the results of Hot Rod mag's Drag Week??

Mike

One of the guys was running a Duramax Diesel powered Mustang and did surprisingly well, my friend did the tuning, IIRC.

But other than that, no, I didn't see the results.  Who won and with what?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 02:32:10 PM »
Just in case you don't know it -- at Bub's the diesel bikes are run by the company that modifies Kawasaki KLR650 bikes by taking out the gas engine and putting in a diesel.  They developed the bike at the behest of the U S military -- and have been racing them since they got close to producing them.  They were in touch with me back before they started racing, asking about how they could go out to the Salt and get some official runs/timing slips/publicity -- and the rest is history.  They seem to have a ball doing it, too.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com