Author Topic: Thrust driven bikes at El Mirage  (Read 9251 times)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Thrust driven bikes at El Mirage
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 01:19:28 AM »
That would be interesting to be in line and have a J-47 fire up right in front of you.  It might be tolerable in November but it would be murder in July!
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline stratman59

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 06:44:37 AM »
That's one way to test your fire suit :lol: :lol:

Robbie

Offline crusher

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 01:54:19 PM »
Mr dakzilla    i was just womdering?What type of motor and stored 15 years? any pictures?

Mike

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 08:43:34 AM »
Sorry Daks , that probably didn't make a great deal of sense to you. There is a "land speed racing fan"and self appointed historian ( and there is no more appropriate word than "fan") who has a long interest in thrust power and has got himself banned from here several times. He runs a long email list that's kind of like a travelling fight show, . It can be a little bit of fun to get those emails but he doesn't understand the BCC thing so once he has your email so does every spammer in the world....

I gave him my cats email address, and now him and Cohen ( a small grey cat at my work) are face book friends
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 01:22:14 PM »
Mr dakzilla    i was just womdering?What type of motor and stored 15 years? any pictures?

Mike

We built the bike in 1993 to run exhibitions at air shows. Didn't do our home work and found out that we cound not get affordable insurance to make runs.
We then thought we'd run at NHRA events, exhibitions, NHRA wanted no part of it. So we gave back the borrowed engine and kept the chassis.
So I was just thinking that LSR would be a great venue to run the bike...but maybe not!

I'll post some additional photos next week when I'm back home.  For now look at my profile picture...I know It looks like a regular Kawasaki drag bike bit beneath the fiberglass is a 300 lb thrust jet engine...

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline turbocox

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 02:39:19 PM »
I was just wondering, being a stupid :oops:, or ignorant Englishman, is there any saltflat event anywhere that allows these "Thurst" vehicles to run, or demo run that isn't on the drag strip?
All men dream: but not equally,Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

Don't be afraid to Dream, Dreaming is free

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 08:00:30 PM »
Last autumn Mike Charlton rode his jet (thrust) bike at Bonneville during Mike Cook's Top Speed Shootout.  The event was limited to a few vehicles that paid a relatively high entry fee - about an order of magnitude higher than a "regular" event at Bonneville.  The jet bike was there because it was the only venue where he would be allowed the opportunity to run the bike to some high speeds.  He eventually got it to a bit over 200 -- his goal.  And that's when his runs ended (I presume by pre-arrangement:  "Once you hit 200 you're done, okay?"
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline crusher

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 09:58:57 PM »
Mr slim   This is mike charlton.The reason we did not make anymore runs is we ran out of time. we wanted to test the handeling the steering ,brakes and parachutes. we were running at 50 percent of power and no afterburner.we were very happy with what we were able to do at are first trip to the salt.That being said we built are bike to go after the unlimited motorcycle landspeed record.We will be back.Talk to you later.
Mike

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 09:35:49 AM »
Thanks for the correction and update, Mike.  I wasn't positive that I had everything correct -- but sort of close, at least.

We'll be watching for you at the next Shootout.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 09:32:37 PM »

Mike

Mike,

I was able located a couple of shots of the bike in an old album.

A little history:

My partner, Larry Stanton Jr. and me were drag racing bikes at the old Palmdale Raceway in the early '90s. Larry was riding the bike and we were having a lot of fun. Larry was also a pilot and came up with the idea of building a jet powered bike.

We decided to move forward with the project more on an impluse than with common sense  :-D.   We wanted something that really looked like a bike, not like the couple of jet bikes that were around at that time.

Larry also came up with the idea for the engine. The TRS 18 jet engine makes 250 lbs. of thrust and weights less than a 100 pounds!  It was a no brainer... We didn't expect to make any record runs, we just wanted to build something different and have some fun.

We had Trax Dynamics convert our Kawasaki chassis and mount the engine. We used an Indy race car tire on the rear (thanks to Goodyear), a Mickey Thompson drag tire on the front. PMFR rims front and rear (10" on the rear) and four 10" disc brakes, two front and two rear. The body was donated by Acutronix of Phoenix.

The engine is self starting and the electronics are compact, and it throttleable (is that a word?).

Anyway with the lack of funding and the cost of buying spare parts and engines (125K each in the earlier 90s) we shelved the project. Nobody would let us run it anyway!!!

Engine prices have now come down so I was just thinking about putting the bike back together and seeing what it would run.

I'm still thinkng about it..... but want to run my 1000 cc A/G bike next season and see how fast I can make it run.

Couple of photos below.

Buzz

"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline crusher

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2009, 08:55:02 AM »
very nice :-D

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 02:20:45 AM »
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 02:34:27 AM »
These bikes might be safer than piston driven cycles if they are driven within the speeds their tires can withstand.  Jets have very few moving parts and they are not stressed at motorcycle speeds.  There are no chains, rods, pistons, etc that can break. 

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 11:29:24 AM »
Oooooh, I can see me on that one!!!   :-o   Well, maybe not, but it sure is purdy!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Blue

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 01:43:28 AM »
... Several hundred levels of more complicated than sticking a rocket out the back....
Weeeelllllllllll, I apologize for taking this one sentence out of context.  I do agree with everything else that DLA has said in this thread (and many others).

To go 400, 500, or into supersonic speeds is not for the faint of heart or slim of engineering expertise regardless of motive force.  I will certainly grant that supersonic speeds are more easily achieved with thrust power. However I wouldn't call the task "easy", even when compared with running a wheel driven 400 mph car.  If we look at the budgets and expertise that are being thrown at Bloodhound and AI-5, they dwarf most wheel driven efforts.  There are some very expensive 400 mph teams, and to be really honest, they are on similar $/mph ratios as the absolute teams.  Even Al Teague spent decades getting to 400+ and the value of all that labor and development was easily a few million.  I think Turbinator and the first Green Monster had the lowest $/mph ratio of the fast cars.

I realize all of this is fodder for the banned dipstick, I apologize to those who get spammed with his inevitable nonsensical ramblings...