Author Topic: Motorcycle Rule 7.G.4  (Read 5071 times)

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
Motorcycle Rule 7.G.4
« on: December 09, 2009, 04:15:56 PM »
The front fender rule for Special Construction (7.G.4) used to follow the 7.F.4 rule. Now that the 7.F.4 rule has changed to 210 degrees coverage with 5 inch above the horizontal line in front, does the 7.G.4 rule still follow 7.F.4?

I run APS (Special Construction/Partial Streamlining) and am wondering if I need to cut my front fender.

Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Motorcycle Rule 7.G.4
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 04:29:17 PM »
I think you will be ok the way it is but you should probably email Van Butler for an official ruling. Let us know what he says.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:38:16 PM »
Randy, I'm pretty sure the 5" above the axle c/l is only for open, at least it was this year.  For APS your still good I think. But, yeah, see what Van says and let us know.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 04:41:32 PM by ol38y »
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 05:12:04 PM »
Thanks guys...e-mail sent.
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 05:43:21 PM »
Is that some of Kents bodywork??
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 06:43:48 PM »
Yup  :-D

All I would have to do to comply would be to cut a wedge out of the front to raise the front edge 5 inches above a horizontal axle line. That cut would give the wheel 215 degree open space and meet the 5 inch rule.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 06:48:14 PM by Rchop »
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Online dw230

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 09:25:48 PM »
Funny you should bring this up.

I spoke with Van less than 1 hour ago and we worked on fixing the front fender errors. Here is a copy of the fixes Van suggested. This wording will appear in the 2010 rulebook:

7.F   MODIFIED PRODUCTION

7.F.4   Fenders:
7.F.4.1   Front Fenders:
A front fender is optional, and if used shall comply with the following: the front wheel and tire shall be visible from either side for a continuous 210 deg. of their circumference. The front of the fender shall not extend lower than 5 in. above a horizontal line drawn through the front axle. The perimeter of the fender shall not be farther than 1.750 in. from the tread. The sides of the fender may fair into the fork tubes, but shall not be over 2 in. wider overall than these parts.

7.F.4.2   Rear Fenders:
Rear fenders shall extend rearward to a point not less than a vertical line drawn through the rear axle. A seat that covers the rear wheel to the vertical line may substitute for the fender requirements. All fenders shall be of sufficient strength to resist deflection at speed.

7.G   SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION

7.G.4   RESERVED

7.G.10    Open Class:
This class is limited to purpose built “bare bones” race bikes stripped of all aero and street use parts. No streamlining is permitted in the Open Special Construction class. Streamlining is defined as any device or objects that have the purpose of directing, limiting, or controlling airflow around the motorcycle or the rider.

A front fender is optional, and if used shall comply with the following: the front wheel and tire shall be visible from either side for a continuous 210 deg. of their circumference. The front of the fender shall not extend lower than 5 in. above a horizontal line drawn through the front axle. The perimeter of the fender shall not be farther than 1.750 in. from the tread. The sides of the fender may fair into the fork tubes, but shall not be over 2 in. wider overall than these parts.

The rear fender shall not extend beyond the back of the rear tire. If a seat/tail section is used, it must not extend more than 3 in. past the rear of the rear tire. No part of the tail section shall be lower than the top of the rear rim, or over 36 in. from the ground, with the rider seated on the bike.

7.G.11   Partial Streamlining:
If a streamlined seat/tail section is used, it can not extend further to the rear than 10 in. beyond the rear edge of the rear tire, or 1/3rd of the wheelbase and whichever is less.  No part of the seat/tail section may be closer than 4 in. from the ground, or over 40 in. from the ground with the rider seated.

It shall be possible to see all of the rider: completely from either side, except the hands and forearms. As viewed from directly above it shall be possible to see all of the rider except the hands, forearms, legs and feet. It is forbidden to use any transparent material to avoid the application of these rules. Fairings or bodywork shall have a minimum of three (3) separate mounting points.

No part of the fairing ahead of the front axle may be lower than the top of the front rim at the axle vertical centerline or be forward of the front edge of the rim. There shall be no streamlining forward of the front edge of the front rim.

Front fender is optional, and if used shall comply with the following: front wheel and tire shall be visable from either side for a contiuous 180 deg. of their circumference. The front of the fender may not extend lower than a horizontal line drawn through the front axle. The permeter of the fender may not be further than 1.750 in. from the tire tread. The sides of the fender may fair in the fork tubes or sliders, but must not be over 2 in. wider overall than these parts.

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 09:34:55 PM »
Thank you Dan and Van, that is excellent. That clear, concise, and very specific. Should give you guys a break from us asking about fenders.

Fred
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 10:13:17 PM »
Great, the questions have been answered. I also heard back from Tom Evans and he said: Randy, thanks for pointing out that glitch in the rule book . The 2010 book will describe the APS front fender the same as you can run today. Only the Mps will change. Thanks, Tom Evans

Thanks for all the help.
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 10:29:27 PM »
Hmmm. I guess I'll let someone who's running MPS ask what that's changing to.  :wink:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 10:43:16 PM »
That is described in the rule changes on the home page.
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 01:41:41 PM »
I just gave the new streamlining/fender rules (for lack of a better description) and am very pleased with the readability of the rules.  I don't see (at first blush, at least) any cornfusing or ambiguous language.

Thank you very much, Dan (and whomever else might have helped fashion the wording of the rules).  Note to everyone -- I'm not necessarily saying the rule is good or bad -- I'm only saying that the way they're worded is very clear.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline k.h.

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 02:43:20 PM »
I'm taking it that the Buell RR front fender is still legal in MPS with a stock fairing and forging ahead with my transition from "never-wuzzer" to "wanabe."
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 03:54:22 PM »
hey KH
we still gonna do that deal ?
kent

Offline k.h.

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 05:54:43 PM »
Kent, I think so.  I found a NOS RR1200 frame and swingarm, plus a 2nd hand M1R fork set like OEM, so I have a use for the stuff now.  And bought some extra aftermarket RR1200 lowers I can modify as needed.  BUT, several people from England & here have expressed interest in the bodywork, especially the front fender, being available and referenced you as a potential steady source.  So, I am looking for a reason to come West, if you want to make molds.  I'm looking for a dustbin for BUB, want to see what you have.  I'll email your associate on timing.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut