Author Topic: saving place in line  (Read 12246 times)

Offline wfojohn

Re: saving place in line
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 06:25:14 PM »
Good Idea Ransom T.
Very easy solution to the situation and super easy to comply with.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 08:03:42 PM »
The spot holding at Maxton is only done with tire heaters and it is not a problem ... a cone is left and I have moved it forward when a cone was ahead of me for one of the rocket ship pilots ... I havent ever seen a jerk cut the line yet at Maxton ... cant say the same about Bub's ... The prestage at Maxton makes it easier as there is one single long line and 15 at a time usually move up to the staging area ... I doubt anyone can do better then Maxton with 40 runs in an hour ...

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 08:58:18 PM »
YOU GO JOE.

I agree
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 09:31:32 AM »
While we don't have the problem (?!) of needing tire warmers -- and therefore of putting a cone in place-- speaking of cones, we've got a dozen or so of them, and each one has a "SSS" written on at least two sides -- so everyone knows whose it is.  Saves from getting them inadvertently taken by someone else when clearing the pits -- would also make it known whose cone that is in line.  Are YOUR cones labeled?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 10:20:02 AM »
I volunteer to hand label  the girls cones.. have sharpie with me all the time  :evil: :evil: :cheers:
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LittleLiner

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 01:29:07 PM »
It ain't broke. . . leave it alone.  The only real exceptions are for those bikes with the tire warmers and perhaps those bikes that use the roller starter thingies. 

First come, first served.  You get to run as often as you can - weather and conditions, and number of entrants permitting.

You see someone cutting the line, have a conversation and if that doesn't fix it then refer the matter to one of the volunteers running the starting area.  Be happy with whatever the outcome is even if you have a different view. 

Otherwise we might end up with one of those rules-deals where you line up A to Z, by age, tallest first, except Sunday on even numbered months for cars with numbers ending in even numbers and bikes with odd numbers, ladies before men.

I can understand why Elmo has the rules for starting position . . . considering their changing surface conditions, points, etc.  Maxton really does not have to be concerned with that.  The concrete doesn't change as the meet progresses.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 02:16:14 PM »
2007 at Bubs was a line cutting disaster but Delvene remedied the situation in 2008. Now you must bring your bike up to staging and they verify it is there and that is your place in line. No bike in line means you are not in line, period!!!  If you have to leave to go to the pits to fix something you start over.

Offline stratman59

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 06:36:20 PM »
LittleLiner,

I agree if aint broke dont fix it, and if you don't have it it won't break :-D
We have never had a problem, but if we do see Al. Because Al's always right!!!

Robbie

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2009, 05:31:27 PM »
Thanks for the support, guys.  I agree that there really isn't a problem and the rare disagreements should best be solved on an individual basis.  I think it's a mistake to try to make rules for every occasion - and to try to guess what MIGHT arise and make rules for that, too.  Common sense, while uncommon, seems to work best and, I think, gets applied at Maxton pretty well.

I also think that pre-stage has helped a lot.  I work it often and every one in a while I've had to flag someone down and get them back in line (usually a new competitor) but virtually everyone is pretty good about waiting patiently.

I'm lucky to get two or three runs per meet but that's because I'm busy helping to run the meet and I'm OK with that.  Steve (WM), Ken (Relaxed Fit) and many others are in the same boat and they're OK with it, too.  The decision has been made that none of the volunteers get to go first even though it would free some of them up to get to their post and get to work.  The Management feels it's important that we set NO precedent for line jumping, no matter what the reason.  Makes sense when you think about it.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2009, 08:34:18 AM »
Here's a picture of Todd/Debbie's cone when they were behind me.  I just put the cone on the back of my truck so I didn't have to pick it up every time we moved.

Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the support, guys.  I agree that there really isn't a problem and the rare disagreements should best be solved on an individual basis.  I think it's a mistake to try to make rules for every occasion - and to try to guess what MIGHT arise and make rules for that, too.  Common sense, while uncommon, seems to work best and, I think, gets applied at Maxton pretty well.

I also think that pre-stage has helped a lot.  I work it often and every one in a while I've had to flag someone down and get them back in line (usually a new competitor) but virtually everyone is pretty good about waiting patiently.

I'm lucky to get two or three runs per meet but that's because I'm busy helping to run the meet and I'm OK with that.  Steve (WM), Ken (Relaxed Fit) and many others are in the same boat and they're OK with it, too.  The decision has been made that none of the volunteers get to go first even though it would free some of them up to get to their post and get to work.  The Management feels it's important that we set NO precedent for line jumping, no matter what the reason.  Makes sense when you think about it.

Dan
Steve Dan Ken . If I am around at dinner time your money is no good . I cant thank you guys enough for what you do.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2010, 07:57:17 AM »
I am a HUGE fan of doing nothing when less is required....

I'm a bigger fan of Extremely limited special treatment...    I actually typed NOBODY first but there might be the rare occasion where I chose to do something for someone, Missed time... and so on ...  Just no preferential treatment as a norm....

Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2010, 12:48:23 PM »

Right on Keith.....

Less is more in many cases.  Hope ya'll had a good Holiday.  See you in April.

Charles

OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline iamflagman

• Wild Hare Racing
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2010, 06:33:36 AM »

I'm a bigger fan of Extremely limited special treatment...    I actually typed NOBODY first but there might be the rare occasion where I chose to do something for someone, Missed time... and so on ...  Just no preferential treatment as a norm....

I want to know when we are going to start the senior citizens free pass to the front of the line, or the follicly challenged free pass to the front of the line, or better yet a combination of the above :?

See ya all in April, I will finish up the mods on the Wabbit starting in February when I get back to South Carolina, but right now I'm sitting here in my 'Bird enjoying the California weather here on the beach at Point Magu :roll:

I don't know who's cone that is in front of me, but I'll sit here waiting patiently.

By the way Charles I choose the red, black and white paint scheme on the Stude :-D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:41:24 AM by iamflagman »
JOHN FINN
HOPKINS, SC
1984 VW RABBIT GTI
16V SCIROCCO CONVERSION
G/GSS LAND SPEED RACER
SM SCCA TT / AUTOCROSS
Check out my "WILD HARE RACING" Land Speed Racing Rabbit album at;
http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/wild_hare_racing_land_speed_racing_rabbit
EAST COAST TIMING ASSOCIATION
I MAY BE GETTING OLDER.............BUT I REFUSE TO GROW UP!!
Shhhh........be vewy, vewy quiet........we are wacing a wabbit!!!!

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2010, 07:47:36 PM »
John,

Great pic .... Drive back safe,,,  see you in April...

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT