Author Topic: saving place in line  (Read 12245 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: saving place in line
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 05:24:18 PM »

But fast and simple is to get Avery dots and stick them on each pass.  Two colors for 2 day events.  "Fun-Day" Drags and AutoX often do this. 

I don't want no stinking  POKIE DOTS on my Race Car  :-D :? :evil: :cheers:

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline stratman59

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 07:09:42 PM »
They can red,white and black dots for you Charles. :-D :-D

Robbie

McRat

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 07:45:58 PM »
I'd suggest the little Care Bear stickers, except they are more $.

"OK, I see you have Poppa Smurf and a Unicorn, you are done for today ..."
 :|

Offline willieworld

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 11:27:47 PM »
at el mirage starting line position is determined by the points you have earned for that year--the first race of the year (may) starting position is determined by your points from the year before--- they call up 25 vehicles at a time to prestage and there directed to stageing lanes in order---- at el mirage we are competing for car and bike championship ---club points and starting line position---the order is posted on scta-bni.org  in el mirage under  09 then results ---if everyone doesnt get at least 1 run then no one gets any points --records still count--after the first round (everyone has ran 1 time )  then it starts all over --after everyone has had 2 runs i starts over again --when there are very few racers left sometimes they will call up everyone---its a great system and its fair to all---------if you finish in the top 25 you get to run that number the next year
sometimes when im waiting in line at bonneville i will go over my bike and check for loose or broken parts sometimes i will wash the salt off or take a nap in the truck----not much time for that at el mirage get to say hello to friends take a couple pics. then your 3 back --put on the helmet time to go      willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 11:41:03 AM »
My 1/2 cents worth of input on this one.  I have only seen a bike or two hot lap with someone holding a place in line.  One of them I spoke with in a very calm, cool and collected manner.  I didn't see him hot lap again, it might have been my oldest son standing behind me that helped.  The other rider only did it once.  I think Kieth or Al had a chat.   I have seen a rider that looked to have more than one bike in line that someone else was holding in line for him.  Overall it does not seem to be much of a problem.  I have yet to run at Maxton without getting at least 2 or 3 runs, even with a Saturday rain.  Some people might not get 2 runs if they don't run Sunday or they spend half the day in the pits making changes.    With El Mirage I could think that the course conditions and weather have more of an issue than we run into at Maxton.  I personally would not like to see us to go to a points system, and I am speaking as someone sitting as #3 in points from last year.  I would benefit with the system but I don't think it is needed and would add a more work to the volunteer staff and race organizers. 
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 12:36:57 PM »
My 1/2 cents worth of input on this one.  I have only seen a bike or two hot lap with someone holding a place in line.  One of them I spoke with in a very calm, cool and collected manner.  I didn't see him hot lap again, it might have been my oldest son standing behind me that helped.  The other rider only did it once.  I think Kieth or Al had a chat.   I have seen a rider that looked to have more than one bike in line that someone else was holding in line for him.  Overall it does not seem to be much of a problem.  I have yet to run at Maxton without getting at least 2 or 3 runs, even with a Saturday rain.  Some people might not get 2 runs if they don't run Sunday or they spend half the day in the pits making changes.    With El Mirage I could think that the course conditions and weather have more of an issue than we run into at Maxton.  I personally would not like to see us to go to a points system, and I am speaking as someone sitting as #3 in points from last year.  I would benefit with the system but I don't think it is needed and would add a more work to the volunteer staff and race organizers. 

Big + 1
Different venues and different conditions, different operation works best at each.
Now that Al has more help he is able to keep a closer eye on things, and we all know who is boss in staging/starting..............

Ed Purinton

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 01:06:04 PM »
Ed is right about the different venues. SCTA has a El Mirage procedure we use for the dry lakes only. It over rules the rule book in some areas and for the conditions of the lake bed distance etc. It can be found on the SCTA web site.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline WildBro

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 04:55:53 PM »
Bonneville and El Mirage average 2 minutes a run... been tracking it for a couple years. The issue isn't the number of runs, or how fast they occur, The issue it's that some guys run twice as many times as others. The last Muroc Meet, line up position was determined by when your registration was received. but it was a one time Special event. IMHO I think more structure than first guy to the line makes a pass is needed.
what do I know? I race a truck.....

The system in place seems to work very well.  After you run, you get back in line at your own pace.  Some take their time, some dont even stop to get their time slip.  We all do a good job in watching out so everyone is fair.  My bike requiers a tire warmer, after saying to the guys in pre-stage "thats me in line with you I head to the tire area.  When my group of 10-20 riders come to staging, I get at the end of that pack in line.  I may have been 2nd or 3rd in that line but it only seems right for me to go to the end.  Most other hot tire bikes do the same. I beleive the real bad feelings of "he ran more then I" or I only got x runs and others got more"  really comes down to poor line choosing.  3 lines to pick from, you pick one that looks short but isn't, then you are going to get less runs no matter what.  I have done it, been in line and watched the other 2 lines move so fast I wonder what is going on...count the vehicals in line and you'll do better! 5 cars can equel 20 bikes  :cry:

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline stratman59

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 07:21:32 PM »
I have no probleem with the way things are now. We seem to police each other very well.
We can 3 to 4 runs a day and don't hot lap just go at our own pace.
Car guys have more to do between runs then bikes so they can get more runs than us but thats just the nature of the beast.

Robbie

Offline relaxedfit

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 09:02:17 PM »
Only been doing this for three years, only compete with myself , best year tied for something like 42nd in the bikes: but since I make no more than 5 passes a meet (and always had time for atleast one more), I could wait until Sunday. However, entry fees are the same for everyone.
One point that has been made may be the most important of all -- people speeding through the pits or on the return/approach road. We've all seen it to one degree or another. We take our own chances but no one should take them for others. We're getting more and more spectators who may have never been to any kind of race, much less one with open pits. Most of the folks doing this are focused on the next run (or the last) and I doubt are deliberately risking others well being I am sure --But!
Ken Presson
Having nothing to do in shutdown is our goal

Offline petercalaguiro

• May 2015
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 09:42:46 PM »
IMHO.........this issue is a very very minor irritation. Let's not try to fix something that is not really broken.
Peter
Peter
02G0250

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 11:00:45 PM »
Peter,,,, I agree,,, see you in April ?

FYI--  on my poll topic,, I posted pics of my Stude builds paint scheme...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline t russell

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 08:32:08 PM »
It's not broke.Some do try to hold spots but,most work together.
terry

Offline petercalaguiro

• May 2015
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
Great!
God willing and the creeks don't rise....I'll be there in April!.........ready to wait in line......patiently! :cheers: Merry Christmas to all!
Peter
02G0250

Offline RansomT

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
I do have 1 suggestion that may cut down on some of the "stress" while in the staging lanes.  For the ultra-high HP tire warmed bikes that have a cone saving their place in line; if we use a larger "standardize" cone with the bike’s number clearly visible, I think it would cut down on some of the “hard feelings”.   I couldn't count how many times I've "calmed down" the newer folk because they didn't see the cone in line and didn't understand why the turbo bike just came around them to run. Or  when there is 2 or 3 blue turbo ‘Busas running at the same meet that give the appearance of 1 bike constantly breaking line.