Author Topic: How cold is too cold?  (Read 8259 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

How cold is too cold?
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:37:04 PM »
It is going to be 14 degrees here tonight and tomorrow night.  The Truimph is outside.  We do not have a garage.  How cold can a bike battery get before it is damaged?

Offline landsendlynda

Re: How cold is too cold?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 09:39:15 PM »
Take it off and bring it in the house!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 09:43:50 PM »
Take it off and bring it in the house!!

Lynda

Leave the batter in teh bike it will be fine..

As long as you bring the bike in the warm house.... :cheers:

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 10:03:21 PM »
Even better idea John!!  Why waste time removing the battery when the whole bike can be moved...besides, it could get lonely without its heart!

Lynda

Anyway, no matter how it is done....14 degrees is too cold for a battery!
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:08:13 PM »
What, are you looking to ride it somewhere tomorrow?

Gosh, I'm arguing with Lynda here - this can't be good. :roll:

From a dumb 'ole Iowa farm boy who moved to Wisconsin because it wasn't cold enough in Cedar Rapids:

A battery is a battery.  I've started cars that have sat out in sub-zero weather for a couple of days and never even gave a thought as to whether it was hard on the battery.  I was always more worried about the bearings and cylinder bores.

If it's to remain outside, I would make sure it had a good charge on it.  Charged batteries seldom freeze. 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline will6er

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 10:18:05 PM »
I was told a fully charged battery won't freeze above -50 degrees.

Never had to test the theory.

Maybe Slim could weigh in.

Will

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 10:22:14 PM »
Lynda, I'm glad you are concerned about my bike being lonely.  My family will assure you that it gets plenty of attention.

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 10:23:57 PM »
If the battery is fully charged, it will probably be ok.  Throw a blanket over it and put a light under it, or close to it over night - surpising difference.  Long term cold is not good.  Or put a battery tender on it.

We'll be in the balmy 20s tonite, its snowing.

Good luck.
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 11:12:38 PM »
We're headed below zero (-8 right now) Fahrenheit tonight. A night or two of that wouldn't hurt as long as the battery was fully charged. For some reason motorcycle batteries don't last if left outside for very long. On the other hand car batteries will last 5 plus years with somewhat irregular maintenance. I used to figure 2 years for a motorcycle battery and 5 years for the car battery. Anything more is a bonus.

Pete

HotRodV8

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
If the battery is fully charged, it will probably be ok.  Throw a blanket over it and put a light under it, or close to it over night - surpising difference.  Long term cold is not good.  Or put a battery tender on it.

Good luck.

Thanks. I just realized I'm going to be a millionaire. David, you gave me an idea. My new invention is a "Snuggie" (as seen on TV) for motorcycles. The warm blanket arm sleeves can go over the handlebars, and the blanket covers the battery. The light under it can an accessory (extra 5 bucks). Color choices: British Racing Green - Triumphs, Blue - BMWs, Red - Honda, White - Suzuki, and Black and Orange -  nah, we got enough colors. And no pink.

68 degrees tonight in Florida. 10% chance of a light rain.
RAIN ?  RAIN? That's it, a poncho for the bike Snuggie. No, we'll make it rain-reversable for two easy payments of $19.95.
I'll be able to buy my own streamliner rather than ask to borrow one for my license.
Opps. I just pinched myself. . .  never mind.

David, I spent a fun week in Durango 10 years ago camped on the front lawn of the high school at a National BMR Bike Rally. I went to Silverton by steam train. You got it good there.

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 11:42:28 PM »
Speaking of cold.  We had a case of Havoline 5w-30w motor oil and it had gotten down to about 0 degrees. We were going to put some oil in a pickup and went to pour it in the engine and it wouldn't come out of the quart bottle.  It came out real slow in a big slug luggie.  It was unbelievable.  We thought what the heck goes on in the pan every year when it gets that cold.  It really makes you wonder.  We took it to the local Texaco dealer and he sent it off never heard a word.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 12:14:19 AM »
move to So Cal or Fla................ :-D
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 12:31:01 AM »
move to So Cal or Fla.

Umm ..... You do know it's going to be 36 tonight in the San Fernando Valley.

Chance of snow at El Mirage.

eave the batter in teh bike it will be fine..

WOW. Noonan's working that internal anti-freeze!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 12:50:51 AM »
Hahha, I remember that rally - I sold my old R75 to a guy that crashed his on Red Mtn Pass.

Its nice here, if you can get up the hill to the house1 (sold all my 4x4s - what a dummy).

cheers,

Good luck.

Thanks. I just realized I'm going to be a millionaire. David, you gave me an idea. My new invention is a "Snuggie" (as seen on TV) for motorcycles. The warm blanket arm sleeves can go over the handlebars, and the blanket covers the battery. The light under it can an accessory (extra 5 bucks). Color choices: British Racing Green - Triumphs, Blue - BMWs, Red - Honda, White - Suzuki, and Black and Orange -  nah, we got enough colors. And no pink.

68 degrees tonight in Florida. 10% chance of a light rain.
RAIN ?  RAIN? That's it, a poncho for the bike Snuggie. No, we'll make it rain-reversable for two easy payments of $19.95.
I'll be able to buy my own streamliner rather than ask to borrow one for my license.
Opps. I just pinched myself. . .  never mind.

David, I spent a fun week in Durango 10 years ago camped on the front lawn of the high school at a National BMR Bike Rally. I went to Silverton by steam train. You got it good there.
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 01:00:35 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I just went out to the shed for an armload of firewood and I put a light under the bike's cover.  It is warmer than me now.