Author Topic: Rain at elmo??  (Read 445558 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Rain at elmo??
« Reply #510 on: May 16, 2015, 12:03:21 AM »
 OUR PUBLIC land not theirs
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #511 on: May 16, 2015, 09:55:53 AM »
Why does this remind me of Berkley, Peoples Park. 1968?

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #512 on: May 16, 2015, 09:57:19 AM »
Doesn't smell the same Rich!  :roll: :roll: :-D

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #513 on: May 16, 2015, 10:31:18 AM »
LOL
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #514 on: May 16, 2015, 12:35:21 PM »
Why does this remind me of Berkley, Peoples Park. 1968?
All the cute hippie girls? You drinking or smoking? :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline RichFox

« Reply #515 on: May 16, 2015, 01:20:43 PM »
In '68 I was going to A & P school days and working at SFO nights. Would have liked to get near those cute hippy girls. But just didn't have time to make it to the protests. Always wanted to yell "Pigs off Campus" Never got to. I think I was a few years to old at the time.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #516 on: May 16, 2015, 01:57:43 PM »
I want to see a picture of this mud spot that kept us from racing while (from what I've heard) 99% of the lake bed was dry and in good condition.  For many, many, many years the policy was always that the lake bed was closed where ever it was wet.  It wasn't but a couple of years ago that we had a meet where a big wet spot on the east end was coned off and we (along with everyone else) were allowed onto the lakebed.  Now, it seems if 1% of the lake bed is wet then the entire lake bed is closed.  THAT'S RIDICULOUS.  Unfortunately, I think some of the upper powers in the SCTA convinced the BLM operators that closing the lakebed if wet anywhere during the winter was a good idea which I think they've come to adapt as their policy all year long which is RIDICULOUS.  I'm F'ing pissed off and I want some GD heads to role... or at least some heated yelling/screaming.  The BLM is all but too happy to close off the lake bed, close up the visitor center and go home.  F(you fill in the blank) the BLM!!!  While there's been a lot of focus on saving the salt, it might be time we put some effort towards saving our dirt.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #517 on: May 16, 2015, 02:35:41 PM »
Yep and now we have to pay our way in, what a crock of sh*t that is.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jdincau

« Reply #518 on: May 16, 2015, 03:17:18 PM »
From the SCTA Facebook page

"MESSAGE FROM THE SCTA PRESIDENT – 5/16/2015

The reason for the cancellation of the El Mirage May Meet this weekend was due to the BLM Rulebook and Procedures. It states that if the lakebed dirt is wet enough to scrape up into a ball it remains closed until dry. With the amount of moisture and rain in the area, Katrina Symons of the BLM (Barstow Area Field Manager) would not open the lakebed.

Thursday I stayed the night at the lakebed to report any and all activity as soon as possible that could shut down our event. Things looked positive while I was there that we could proceed with our event. At 6:30 a.m. on Friday I met with Katrina and we toured the lakebed and in my opinion it was 99% dry. The location of the mud is at the east end by the Visitor’s Center. There is a spot where the dune brush removal from the past is a little low and Katrina was able to scrape up enough lakebed material and form the mud into a ball. She then explained to me in order to maintain the preservation of our beloved El Mirage Lakebed, it would have to remain closed.

I would like to THANK the Board of Directors, Club Reps and Membership at Large for working together to spread the word of the closure of the lakebed and cancellation of the May Meet.

Your Concerned Race Director & SCTA President,
 Bill Lattin"

I might add, we all knew it would come to this when the BLM began to put up the fence.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 03:19:13 PM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #519 on: May 16, 2015, 04:27:24 PM »
Its amazing one percent of the lake bed is damp so the entire area is closed that's just not right. Looks like the time has come to work towards a more intelligent solution to such a small amount of damp ground being used as an excuse to keeping the entire area off limits.
   I doubt I will ever make it to Elmo for a run being close to 3000 miles away on the East coast however when I see a wrong it just makes my blood boil. Time for some protest bring back the sixty's.   :mrgreen:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #520 on: May 16, 2015, 04:41:19 PM »
I know they're getting lots of bucks off us competitors -- open or not.  But they're losing lots not selling the one-day passes for spectators.  And we know they're into making money -- like with salt mining permits, grazing permits, etc.

I guess it's easier running a place when it's locked down and no one is there.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #521 on: May 16, 2015, 05:57:21 PM »
I have Called, I have sent Emails, I have contacted Board Members and fellow racers

But if we want to be able to continue to race we are going to have the get racers all across the WORLD to get involved a start LOBBYING

the US HOUSE and SENATE the next thing you know we will not be able to get on it if the wind is blowing!!   IF we are going to be able to continue to race -

-The 200 CLUB is the most logical --
-WE BETTER PULL  our COLLECTIVE heads out of the Salt, Sand and     and get organized!!!

Want to do something about it:  it doesn't get any better than this:

The head of the App. Subcommittee  is:

Rep. Ken Calvert R
CA CD 42
his office is right beside I-15
Riverside CA

Guys here is your Chance less that 3 week ago the BLM made their pitch for what???  More money of course!

All racers from ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD    of B'Ville or El M.  Go to his website and sign up for his news letter
Also on his website they list a number to call if you are having a problem with a federal Agency  1-951-277-0042 

Call them---at 1-951-277-0042 ---BE POLITE-- but let them know that you have been going to EL Racing for years on PUBLIC LANDS that is a designated off highway recreation area and you feel like there was a WRONG CALL!!

IF you want to do something about this and I can get 100 folks that represent at least 20 states  I will get more involved on my part in coaching and doing MORE!!  Guys it time to fish or cut bait as the RED NECKS might say---Let's gitter done!!

signing off and going over to Rep. Calvert's web site to sign up!
Sparky
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 06:51:18 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #522 on: May 16, 2015, 08:06:32 PM »
H.R.2324 - To provide for the conveyance of small parcels of National Forest System land and small parcels of public lands administered by the Bureau of Land Management to private landowners, State, county, and local governments, or Indian tribes whose lands share a boundary with the National Forest System land or public lands, and for other purposes.
114th Congress (2015-2016)

:-o Reading what Congress is trying to do may not be in the interests of racers.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:08:51 PM by SPARKY »
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #523 on: May 17, 2015, 03:01:58 AM »
It gets even better:
 there are 2 representatives from Ca that are on the Committee that controls the BLM

Rep Tom McClintock R  Dist 4

Rep Doug La Malfa R    Dist 1

Rep Col Paul Cook R      Dist  8  the BLM office and the lake bed is in his Dist

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #524 on: May 19, 2015, 11:20:22 AM »
Mr. Dakota Higgins is the liaison between Rep. Col Paul Cook's office and the BLM office in Barstow.