Author Topic: Rain at elmo??  (Read 445568 times)

Offline 836dstr

Re: Tiny, rain at elmo??
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2010, 12:25:04 PM »
Tiny,

A rain guage can only tell how much rain has accumulated.

You can step outside, hold out your hand and tell it  IS raining.

Keep up the good work!!!!!

Tom

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2010, 12:46:27 PM »
Tiny! We would much rather hear it from you. There is a NWS rain gauge at the other end of the lake bed that can give us rain amounts. Only you can look out and say "WOW! It's a lake out there."

Go Tiny! Yea! We appreciate pictures too.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2010, 12:52:33 PM »
Tiny,

take a look at this website and scroll to bottom of page.
it has the local live website/weather stations listed

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=92301

You may find one closer than the airport, for instance, I found one just a 1/2 mile from my location here and monitor it.

I seem to remember last year we were praying for rain, now, let the sun shine and the wind blow!!

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline jl222

« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2010, 02:11:18 PM »

Tiny...only you can wade out to the starting line and measure how deep it is :-D

JL222

Offline debgeo

« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2010, 02:16:12 PM »
Tiny the weather bureau cannot give us anything but guesses. They also do not keep track of how much water is on the lake or if it is drying out. Only YOU can give us accurate visual information. Please keep it up YOU ARE THE MAN also have a very Merry CHRISTmas

Geo
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2010, 06:31:32 PM »
Tiny:

This "weather bureau" is the US N O A A site, and their forecasts are about as good as you'll get.  They are the only ones that have satellites, for instance, and operate the biggest weather radars.  I like the site also because there are no advertisements - it loads faster, and at least for us up here -- the forecasts are surprisingly accurate.  When they say the snow, for instance, is going to diminish after 1PM -- by damn if it doesn't start slacking off at, maybe, 12.45.  They're good.

So anyway, I've put "El Mirage, CA" into their little blank box at the top/middle of their page -- and this is where it took me.  I don't know if "10 miles WNW of Adelanto" is where you are -- but you can get a good idea this way.  I haven't figured out yet if there's a way to enter G P S coordinates - which would allow you to zero in very accurately.

Here 'tis -- check it out:  http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=El+Mirage&state=CA&site=SGX&textField1=34.6022&textField2=-117.63&e=0
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2010, 06:59:07 PM »
 NOAA can't walk out the front door and look around and give us an accurate report such as,,,," Oh Shik,,that waters deep,,,,and cold too!" lolololol  Keep up the good work, and the personnal touch Tiny, we love it!   Merry Christmas to you and Yours!
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline TINY

« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2010, 07:25:43 PM »
Ther is lots of water.Wind blowing easy and lots of waves out there.Now mud patrol has lots of work these Holidays and they have been doing a good job.Merry Chrirtmas everyone will be gone 2 vdays will have a report Sunday with pictures. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :-D :-D :-D :-D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2010, 07:38:38 PM »
Tiny does a great job keeping us posted on the El Mirage. I want him to keep it up, let's all be fair as he lives on the lake bed and knows what he is talking about.

BTW

You can also look at the SCTA web site and click on El Mirage and Then weather. It's up to date and spot on.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2010, 07:42:41 PM »
THANKS loads, TINY.

Hang in there.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2010, 07:47:49 PM »
A satelite is what, 20,000 miles up in space.  Tiny is right there.  Who are you going to belive?  I'll take Tiny's word over a satelite any day.   Thanks again Tiny and Merry Christmas.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2010, 08:18:10 PM »
 Tiny,Thanks loads and Merry Xmas. I did Mud Patrol the weekend of the clean up. Things are looking good and the only thing I saw on the lakebed was George and the BLM checking it out and 2 ultralight and a twin engine private plane. They split pretty quick. We just might get lucky!
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!

Offline TINY

« Reply #132 on: December 26, 2010, 04:38:07 PM »
With the rain Christmas night we had a total of 4 !/2 inches here on west end of lake El Mirage.As soon as my daughter comes out I will have pictures for you all.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #133 on: December 26, 2010, 04:53:31 PM »
Hey, folks -- lighten up.  I acknowledge that Tiny is at the lake -- and is a resource that few groups or organisations have for giving on-the-spot weather.  Now I'll suggest that you read my post and see that I was suggesting that the NOAA weather is - if nothing else - the forecast site that will load fastest because it isn't loaded with commercials.  As for the satellites that are 23,000 miles or so in space -- they give a better view of the weather patterns than any local TV stations weather radar will show.  Tiny, I thank you for being willing to let us know what's going on there.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #134 on: December 26, 2010, 10:46:22 PM »
Hey, folks -- lighten up.  I acknowledge that Tiny is at the lake -- and is a resource that few groups or organisations have for giving on-the-spot weather.  Now I'll suggest that you read my post and see that I was suggesting that the NOAA weather is - if nothing else - the forecast site that will load fastest because it isn't loaded with commercials.  As for the satellites that are 23,000 miles or so in space -- they give a better view of the weather patterns than any local TV stations weather radar will show.  Tiny, I thank you for being willing to let us know what's going on there.

Slim ....you mean like post # 44 80 90  99  101 and 115 ?

JL222 :-D