Author Topic: Rain at elmo??  (Read 445575 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Tiny, rain at elmo??
« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2010, 08:57:30 AM »
Well, about #90 == I didn't work my way back through the stuff, but I've never figured out on the NOAA weather site where to find current/recent precip. totals.  On the local site, for instance, I'll try to find how much we got in that downpour yesterday -- and see a trace here, .01" there -- no totals, no summaries.  If there's a total column -- I haven't found it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2010, 10:28:30 AM »
Slim:When you type in a city you get a "point forecast" for the city center. It is never a weather station, but a computer model of that point. You can pan on the map displayed and click anywhere for a better forecast of a particular point location. The map shown is a point several miles south of the lake bed.

On the link you posted scan down the right side under Current Conditions near the current temperature.

Click on More Local WX:
This gives you a list of the weather stations around the point location.
There is a link for the El Mirage weather station. It sits 5 miles southeast of the SCTA building and 3/4 mile north of the entrance station.
It gives the 3 day summary for that location. In the upper left corner is a link for the 7 day summary.

This works for any location. Not all stations collect rain data.

If you return to the main page go further down to Additional Forecasts and Information and click on Hourly Weather Graph. It gives detailed hourly temperatures, wind and rain graphs. It's going to rain starting 10pm Tuesday night. For El Mirage the graph for wind and gusts is always helpful.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2010, 02:01:01 PM »
If you go to this one from page 1 it gets you right to the El Mirage weather station data. Data in this format is only available where an automated reporting weather station exists.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=sgx&sid=EMRC1&num=48
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2010, 02:03:45 PM »
Slim:When you type in a city you get a "point forecast" for the city center. It is never a weather station, but a computer model of that point. You can pan on the map displayed and click anywhere for a better forecast of a particular point location. The map shown is a point several miles south of the lake bed.

On the link you posted scan down the right side under Current Conditions near the current temperature.

Click on More Local WX:
This gives you a list of the weather stations around the point location.
There is a link for the El Mirage weather station. It sits 5 miles southeast of the SCTA building and 3/4 mile north of the entrance station.
It gives the 3 day summary for that location. In the upper left corner is a link for the 7 day summary.

This works for any location. Not all stations collect rain data.

If you return to the main page go further down to Additional Forecasts and Information and click on Hourly Weather Graph. It gives detailed hourly temperatures, wind and rain graphs. It's going to rain starting 10pm Tuesday night. For El Mirage the graph for wind and gusts is always helpful.

Or youcan just type in here "Hey Tiny,  Whats it doin' on the lake bed?" and get a 100% guaranteed accurate report.  Thanks again Tiny!
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

efenn611

« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2010, 02:55:31 PM »
picture of elmo sat 12/25

Offline TINY

« Reply #140 on: December 27, 2010, 04:04:29 PM »
Like the picyure I have a few but need my Daughter to teach me how to post them.Just a dumb old man here. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline jl222

« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2010, 04:25:59 PM »
Like the picyure I have a few but need my Daughter to teach me how to post them.Just a dumb old man here. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Yea Tiny I need Troy for help but for spelling I always use spell check before posting, makes me look smarter than I am :-D

JL222

Offline TINY

« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2010, 12:11:24 AM »
Hey when you people come out here come by & visit your property & us.We can get down 7 visit wet lale El Mirage    :cheers:

Offline Freud

« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2010, 11:36:40 AM »
Stan Back.......go over and see if Tiny is funning us.

This should be a quiet season for advertising and You would have extra time.

That foto looks more like Great Salt Lake.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2010, 12:53:20 PM »
That foto looks more like Great Salt Lake.

FREUD

It does, doesn't it.

The view in the distance is indeed the San Bernardino mountains with the new snow from this weekend.
Shadow Mountains on the left.
Lake No Mirage in the foreground.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline TINY

« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2010, 07:41:39 PM »
Yes Dean the view is outstanding now.Sitting at desk looking out window lake full of water and snow coverad mountains.Had heavy frost this morning every thing was white.I will get picture in morning. :cheers: :-D :-D :-D :cheers:

Offline TINY

« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2010, 11:47:34 PM »
Just was out front enjoying view seeing lights from airport & farms refllect on wet lake.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2010, 12:24:12 AM »
In some respects I envy you Tiny.  What a view to have each morning when you wake up! 
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2010, 08:39:39 PM »
The weather sucks here in Utah. Way to much rain. The yearly rain fall is about 8". We got got that in two days last week and now it's raining again (all day) and snow that will turn into slush tomorrow. Sure hope the river is going to handle all of it. :-P
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #149 on: December 30, 2010, 12:30:16 AM »
The weather sucks here in Utah. Way to much rain. The yearly rain fall is about 8". We got got that in two days last week and now it's raining again (all day) and snow that will turn into slush tomorrow. Sure hope the river is going to handle all of it. :-P
Hey Glen,where exactly you at? I truck through SW Utah over to Richfield,then head for Fallon,NV via US50. Was good when I left yesterday,but I heard it was snowing this morning.
 In Phoenix right now and its been raining since Kingman. Been looking around for an old dude with a beard,a funky huge boat and a grip of livestock.......... :roll:
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!