Author Topic: whitey's wittle buiwd  (Read 11232 times)

Offline whitehendrix

• New folks
whitey's wittle buiwd
« on: December 06, 2009, 09:00:31 PM »
well, with much anticipation i have looked forward to the point of starting my build for soem LSR/drag action.. this bike has been an ongoing project since i bough it (wrecked) a few years back.. (then it was stolen and i recovered it 10 months later luckily, and rebuilt again)

after a year of abuse it got rebuilt AGAIN. this time, with a bit of freshening up, some nice street-oriented mods and suck.
 i intend to keep this as a street-legal racebike as well. hoping this proves my skills as a builder, to have a bike thats actually over stock weight and in streetable trim, setting records ( in the MPS750F/G classes).
 so, a little look into what i have

most of you guys probably don't know me, but chances are ya saw me at loring or see me on bikeland.. hopefully when this bike is done, we'll all know each other!

this was a ground-up build/retoration. initially, i had not intended to race it or boost it at all. i didn't even know about LSR until recently. never even raced yet and i'm hooked. this build will be a test and utilization of my skills as a welder and machinist. my primary background is in electrical (controls) engineering.

the goal is a "conservative" 250WHP/280CHP just for a "number".. this will probably not be what i run at the track. chances are it'll be a bit detuned or i'll run less boost for longevity.
 stock rods, JE slugs, Factory Pro cam gears, Factory Pro ign rotor, Garrett TB22 turbo (.48 comp, .63 turbine A/R) and a Dyna 2000 ignition are what is the primary ingredients thus far. (and a little bit of head/port work)sadly, don't have the JE stuff yet.

if i had the money, i'd do kibblewhite Ti retainers and maybe carillo rods.. but thats just too much money for now..

test fitment with a mitsu 13g (TDO4-L)  won't be using this turbo as it's damage.. i'd like to find another one tho.

the thing was appalling. uber clean and some carbon fiber stuff saved the astetic day

a lil test fit action on the LED taillight and subframe.. just painted and finished polishing..

the majority of the work done, i focused on little things like the carbon fiber dash and getting the thing insured and registered.. i actually had some legal issues to iron out during this time and couldn't drive because of them.. so it was fitting timing. in the meantime i collected some parts i hadn't had before.. bike never had an upper fairing stay, and therefore, no mirrors.. so, got mirrors, a stay, a fender, passenger pegs, Mercedes benz SL500 HID projectors ( which are valed at $1200 a piece) welded up a hanger for the exhaust.. got a collection of turbos, a 2G DSM side-mount intercooler (SMIC), secured myself a nice TIG welder and plasma cutter, some 5086 sheet (.090") another motor, factory pro cam gears and ignition rotor..

for astetics,i frenched the taillight.
 dont mind the hole in the fairing. it was an experiment thats since been patched.

drilled my slides .024"

fitting the (thus far unmodified) intercooler

a little work started on the turbo motor head

HID install in stock housing. .the stock 7-R lights absolutely F'ing SUCK. i live in deer country and dumb, drunken redneckville.. it's nice to see and be seen. these have a high beam option.. theres a solenoid that moves a reflector to allow more light output. i can see reflective signs 1/4 mile away.

gotta LOVE heatshrink..

after a while, i got crowded at the shop and didn't feel like working on it there.. instead, moving it home.. literally inside.. the garage is cold. lol put the finishing touches on HID ballast mounting and some little things

yes. that scope is probably older than me.. 20Mhz tektronics.. works like a champ and was free!!

painting in progress.

had some issues with light flicker. HID systems HATE that. it's incredibly hard on the ballast and bulbs.. so, i ran a dedicated line from the battery and used a relay to control that. high beam is on the H beam circuit but with a diode backfeed to keep the l.beam circuit energized while h beam is on. the bulbs are $120 a piece.. can't be blowing these bad boys out. let alone the $1400 ballast pair. (gotta love having friends at mercedes benz  :wink: )

painting.. its nothing perfect so i just spray bombed it with duplicolor FM340X royal blue. i'll actually hit it with "real" paint when i get bodywork on her that hasn't been busted 6 times. on the stand wasa project BB ford.. but my pops died shortly after this build that motor was going into his 92 stang after getting bumped to 512 and being crowned with an 8-71.i simply dont have the money to finish that build, as much as i'd like to.

AND.. after some fitment and a quick throw together..

now. .the only thing next is to replace the fuel pump that failed on me and start on the turblow build.. get to use this nice new TIG rig and plasma unit i got.. i highly suggest pulsed TIG and a footpedal if you're gonnaa do aluminum. some guys build al stuff withno foot pedal.. i don't know how they can stand it.

heres the cute little guy goin on.. i think it'll actually be too big  for the street wit a .63 hotside.. have an EFI retrofit on the side.. a few different designs. one using the megasquirt system, another using various stock components.

we'll se, eh?

so. .there ya go.. hopefully i  get some extra money together and start building stuff.. i ran out of gas for the welder and it's simply not a priority to fil lthe (small) bottle.. and 4043 rod is not cheap. still need to get some other stuff.. wanna wait ti i have everything to start building.

i really look forward to this thread showing the manifestation of a badass bike that can do a little bit of everything.

thanks for your time!

-Jim

Offline landsendlynda

Re: whitey's wittle buiwd
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 09:20:07 PM »
nice build, nice bike, nice diary....looks like you have everything under control  (as if I'd know  :roll: ).  Good luck with the rest of your build.   :cheers: 

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 10:34:02 PM »
So-- :evil:-which has the higher risk factor----rednecks or deer  :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 11:04:36 PM »
deer got brains enough to git...rednecks just stand and look at the purty lites bubba!!  :roll:

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline sabat

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 08:50:40 AM »
Good luck Jim  :cheers:

Offline stratman59

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 08:05:52 PM »
Good luck with your build!!! :cheers:

Robbie

Offline whitehendrix

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 10:43:13 PM »
thanks everyone!!

ya know, i've had better luck with the deer. they're at least "sorta" predictable.

they don't intentionally try to run me over, cut me off.. etc.

tho i've had some incredibly close calls.. went between 2 of them once at about 65mph ( before i got some good lights.. couldn't see em.) coulda slapped one on the arse and the other on the nose i was THAT close.. scared the absolute shyte out of me..

i try not to run at night anymore. it's simply too dangerous.. fun and relaxing sometimes.. but not worth it if you go down and you're in BF like where i live at and no one might find you for hours..

i am considering retiring the bike in a while from the streets and just doing LSR/drag with it.. in which case, it will get VERY light and simple. i can put those nice HIDs on something else..
:-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 11:33:20 AM »
The deer population is absolutely out of control---I try not to drive at night even on the interstates, we see dead deer where we haven't seen them in our life times,  "must be the global warming"---the big cats are making a huge resurgance---cougars everywhere--not just in the bars---we are even beginning to get a return of the BIG black Mexican Jaguars in SW NM and SE AZ, probabaly in west TX . They seem to have lots of deer to eat----everywhere
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 01:40:58 PM »
A major reason for the apparent population burst of deer (and many other "wild" animals) -- is the spread of human populations into what was formerly the animal's wilderness home area.  As more and more open land gets houses -- the deer (and the antelope) don't have the room they used to have - so they end up in your back yards.  And add to that the fact that there are so many more people that the deer (and the antelopes) are becoming acclimatized to human - and aren't as afraid of getting near them as they once were.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com