Author Topic: Helmets  (Read 18622 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Helmets
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2009, 09:53:45 PM »
Mayor---not nearly as much as most of US  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline relaxedfit

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2009, 10:04:01 PM »
Virtually all rules written regarding safety, for racing, industry, work sites or recreation are MINIMUMS. Yes they are established in part to protect the owners of those sites, but they exist primarily to protect the people involved in the activities in those areas. What is sad is that some people have to be hit in the head to understand how soft it is.
Ken Presson
Having nothing to do in shutdown is our goal

Offline Geo

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2009, 10:13:53 PM »
Yes, DW, I am glad you are back! 

Vee Twin,  read the rule book again and again.  It becomes clear after a while.  Not as bad as the electrical code book I have been studying.  I am new to LSR and I am still reading the rule book after two years.   There is always something to change to be safer or faster as Charles just posted about on another thread.

Geo

Offline willieworld

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2009, 10:14:56 PM »
glad to see you back dan                                              willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

McRat

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2009, 10:26:27 PM »
So basically My M2000 is good for one more year? 

This year one of the tech people said, "you'll be getting a new helmet next year" or something to that effect anyway

if it is mine is actually good till 2011, perhaps I will stop shopping and buy myself some burbon with that money this year

Only for motorcycles.  In 2010 a M2000 is not acceptable for cars or m/c streamliners, SA2000 is the minimum req.

Offline joea

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2009, 11:44:22 PM »
.......well thats ironic........

........vee twin........the scta is about as perfect as your
choice in screen names.........

..but its as american...with as much tradition.....and as
gooood as it gets........(with respect to intent, dignity and much more)....maybe not
horsepower.....but its not all about hp now is it.....

Offline dw230

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2009, 11:09:24 AM »
I fixed the wording for the 2010 rulebook. Sometimes you read and read, you know what you want to see but it doesn't come out that way.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline willieworld

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2009, 01:11:17 PM »
dan                    where did you change it   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline tekebird

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2009, 04:45:55 PM »
Damn you Seldom Seen Slim......now that I have been shopping and like a few of the graphics available for the helmet I am interested in this year.....no so keen on the 2010 graphics options.....   :cry:

Here is an interesting point:  take the new Bell Star which came out in 2009 with a Snell 2005 rating. 

same helmet produced for 2010 comes with a snell 2010 rating......

exactly the same helmet.  but with bold new graphics options

I would rather see a age from manufacture limitiation rather than a snell date rating  10 years from date of manufacture (for instance)  might still keep the requirement that it must have a Snell rating appropriate to it's year of manufacture

it is realistic to think that a Helmet will become less safe over time through compression of the lining and compressable foam .  But to contend that a 2009 helmet is good for 5 years and the 2010 which is exactly the same is good for 10.  Obviouslyt they both would meet the same standards in this case  :mrgreen:

Offline VeeTwin

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2009, 05:03:16 PM »
I fixed the wording for the 2010 rulebook. Sometimes you read and read, you know what you want to see but it doesn't come out that way.

DW

Thank you.

Why not post new rule changes for comment before you make them official? That's what most racing organizations do. If you get more eyes looking at it you'll find more of these wording problems and other unintended consequences.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2009, 05:31:41 PM »
OK E DOKIE

That about sums it up.

Some of us can use what we have in 2010, but we may have to get a new one in 2011 or 2015
Some will have to get a new Helmet now and then it's only good for 5 years.
Some can wait and get a new one later this year or early next year and we will be OK till 2020

Charles... summer upper of this here topic... LOL   :cheers:
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2009, 07:37:39 PM »
"where did you change it"

In my working copy of the 2010 rulebook. You will see the repair in the new book.

The reason we don't release proposed changes to the general public is that the process has all SCTA members involved with the changes thru their club reps. After the changes are voted on, this year in Nov., I release to the Internet. Comments are welcome however, in order to publish early in the new year some sort of limit has to be placed on the time for discussion.

The rulebook is daughting task for a single person to under take. Remeber, this is an all volunteer organization unlike other groups with paid staff.

DW 
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline willieworld

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2009, 08:35:32 PM »
on the scta-bni site the 2010 rule changes are posted and on the home page of landracing.com --how about getting the change there so we can see it    thanks for all of your work    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline White Monster

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2009, 12:47:42 PM »
You can say that all you want, but that's not what the rule says. It says very plainly that a Snell 2005 helmet is required starting in 2011. If doesn't say a Snell 2005 OR a Snell 2010 helmet is required in 2011, it says only 2005.

Firstly, YES, you are correct in the rulebook quote you referenced.

Second, let's use a little common sense here.  As has been previously stated, the "intent" of the rulebook is to establish MINIMUM safety requirements, that must be adhered to by all.  If you want to surpass those requirements and go for additional safety measures, the more power (and intelligence) to you.

So, to make it unequivocally clear, for the 2010 racing season at Maxton, the ECTA will accept a Snell Foundation M2000 or SA2000 or later Certified helmet.

Beginning January 1, 2011, a Snell Foundation 2005 [or later] rated helmet will be required (Manufacture date not to exceed 5 years).  All enclosed cockpit car and motorcycle streamliners will require an SA rated helmet.

I hope this helps ....
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 12:53:06 PM by White Monster »
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline relaxedfit

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2009, 07:06:35 PM »
Just a "does anybody know?"-- Construction hardhats have a manufacture date code molded into the brim (Federal DOT guidelines require replacement every 3 years), do the better skid lids have such things. It could be on the Snell cert for all my lazy asterisk knows.
Ken Presson
Having nothing to do in shutdown is our goal