Author Topic: Helmets  (Read 18619 times)

Offline willieworld

Re: Helmets
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 08:44:11 PM »
sheri and i are usually on a budget--we were at chico h d in early 06 ---they had a helmet sale --normal price 249 dollars  on sale 49 dollars---i bought 2 --they were m2000--still a bargin ---willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline VeeTwin

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 11:36:38 PM »
VeeTwin,,, you are not quite correct. Let me "try to simplify"  Snell certifications are good for 10 years.  So the 2000 spec is good through 2010, then in 2011 that would make the next Snell spec of 2005 the minimum you could use. 2005 good to 2015.  So in 2011  you can use the older Snell 2005, or the then new Snell 2010.

So if you buy a 2005 spec today you get 5 years use out of it,,, Not bad, but if you wait and buy a 2010 spec date you have until 2020

So when you read in 2011  a 2005 spec will be required,,, what that means is in 2011 the Snell 2000 spec is no longer usable and the newest spec today is Snell 2005 and that will be required as the minimum spec, but by 2011  the Snell 2010 will be out so you can use the 2005 "or the later"  2010 Spec.

You can say that all you want, but that's not what the rule says. It says very plainly that a Snell 2005 helmet is required starting in 2011. If doesn't say a Snell 2005 OR a Snell 2010 helmet is required in 2011, it says only 2005.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2009, 11:42:03 PM »
As long as the racers know what is expected who cares :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline willieworld

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 11:47:24 PM »
yes thats what it says---but in the spirit of the rules thats not what it means--now if we just knew the secret handshake--seriously the wording could have been a lot better     willie buchta

the 2005 on jan 1 2011 would be a minimum --anything above that would also be o k
 like the roll cage tubing 1 5/8 by .120 is a minimum anything larger or heavier wall will also be legal---remember that the rule book is only minimums
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:07:54 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2009, 01:45:06 AM »
VeeTwin, you're beating a dead horse.  Using the common sense phrase "Must be 21 to enter" should explain the helmet rule.  Obviously, if you're over 21 you can still enter, so just as obvious is 2005 rule.

The only other explanation to your argument is....you want to argue!  So, calm down, take a calming breath, and enjoy the site!   "Peace, Bro, Peace"    :-)

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline VeeTwin

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2009, 09:54:28 AM »
OK, well, if it's worded poorly and they really mean something else, fine.

But I think it's a sad state of affairs when you have to read a rule book and ignore what they say and instead try to figure out what they really mean. If the people who write the rules can't write them clearly, they should turn the job over to someone who can. This is not the only example of this either.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2009, 10:45:02 AM »
VeeTwin:

It must be frustrating being perfect and living in an imperfect world.

Pete

McRat

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2009, 11:30:16 AM »
OK, well, if it's worded poorly and they really mean something else, fine.

But I think it's a sad state of affairs when you have to read a rule book and ignore what they say and instead try to figure out what they really mean. If the people who write the rules can't write them clearly, they should turn the job over to someone who can. This is not the only example of this either.

It's a race organization run by the racers who volunteer to help organize.  No, the rulebook is not as explicit as some, but it is more explicit than most.  
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 11:45:23 AM by McRat »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2009, 11:44:32 AM »
I have a buddy who "pulls"---you talk about some favortisim---I will take LSR any day---he keeps beating them ---their latest "gig"  rev limiters
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

McRat

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2009, 12:23:22 PM »
I have a buddy who "pulls"---you talk about some favortisim---I will take LSR any day---he keeps beating them ---their latest "gig"  rev limiters

DOH!  I edited so I wouldn't do my trademark hijacking of a thread, but yup sled-pull orgs are a riot.  Turbo-sizing rules are the biggest area of contention, but rev-limits are just wishful thinking by those who can't spin, there is no way to enforce it.  I've helped organize pulling events in the past, but since surrendered that task to others who like abuse more. 

The last straw was when I said "If you are running in a no-nitrous class, you will not have nitrous system components on your truck at tech".  I got called every imaginable filthy name, some new ones even.  After threats, I finally said, "OK, you win.  How about a $500 grudge pull?  Money goes to charity.  You bring nitrous, JATO, flux-capacitors, and The Force with you; you won't have to tech.  My wife will run you with just the stock charger and tuning, and I'll hand you your arse anyhow."   They declined the bet.  And Kat won. 

Offline tekebird

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2009, 06:38:26 PM »
So basically My M2000 is good for one more year? 

This year one of the tech people said, "you'll be getting a new helmet next year" or something to that effect anyway

if it is mine is actually good till 2011, perhaps I will stop shopping and buy myself some burbon with that money this year

Offline stratman59

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 07:12:23 PM »
teke,

I would wait until the 2010's came out, then you get 10 years out of your next helmet.
Just remeber if you have a $10 head buy $10 helmet. :-D :-D

Robbie

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 09:03:29 PM »
I was guilty of telling folks that their M2000 helmets would need replacing -- that they wouldn't be legal in the 2010 season.  I was wrong -- the M2000 helmets are legal for '10 -- but not after that.  

This isn't to say that you should put off 'til the last possible day on buying a new helmet.  Be sure when you do buy one -- that you have seen the Snell sticker on the INSIDE of the lining of the helmet and you therefore know if you're getting an M205 or M2010 (or even an M2000).  Use the knowledge to pay only the amount the Snell cert. justifies -- i.e. don't pay as much for a brand-new M2000 as you would for the '05, and ditto not as much as you would for a '10 -- all other things being equal.

But to reiterate -- M2000 helmets MAY be used during the 2010 ECTA AND SCTA racing season.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline VeeTwin

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2009, 09:48:21 PM »
VeeTwin:

It must be frustrating being perfect and living in an imperfect world.

Pete

And it must be nice to be so smart that you can read a rule and automatically know it means something else other than what it says ;)

Offline dw230

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2009, 09:49:43 PM »
"What kind of -------- ------- make up these rules anyway?"

Vee Twin,

Relax, relax, R E L A X

I'm the --------- ------- ( I hope I have the number of - correct) that makes up these rules.

As you may have read in the responses, your 2000 helmet is good for one more year. You can buy a 2005, 2010 or 20xx and be sure it will be good for the 2010 season. The foregoing is for Bonneville and El Mirage only. ECTA, you are on your own.

Welcome to taking over the rulebppk job. I will be gald to send you anything you need for the next edition.

I'm glad I returned.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth