Author Topic: BBarn and Robfreys A/BG liner  (Read 26835 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: BBarn and Robfreys A/BG liner
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2010, 05:32:22 PM »
Make two narrow fronts instead of one fat:  http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,2796.0.html

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline bbarn

« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2010, 05:43:56 PM »
It won't be a lay-down model for the driver, there are way too many issues with that. The closest I want to get to a lay down is about a 30 degree reclined position, not much more than that.

Pros and Cons to the driver being forward of the front wheels
Pros:
 - I have the space available (This may change, there is still design work going on)
 - The canopy can be smaller / the head of the driver will not need to protrude much above the fuselage to get good visibility
 - Good separation of the driver from hot surfaces and flammable materials - The entire forward section of the car can be completely isolated from everything.

Cons:
 - Less reference for yaw movements
 - Not as much distance between the bottom of your feet and the immovable object that just jumped up in front of you

Steering is not an issue, you'll have to wait and see what we have in mind for that. Whether the driver is fore or aft of the steering wheels is not relevant in terms of steering complexities.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Woodstock

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2010, 06:42:42 PM »
BBarn, like the shape, but was a little concerned about the disturbance of air flow when it hits the rear wheel fairings and body.  Larger space between the body and wheel fairings or changing the surfaces to blend more decreasing disturbance. Think of water flowing in a stream around closely located rocks.  Before this interruption the air flow has smoothed out eliminating surface drag.  Also, tapering the body in the aft region ever so slightly might help with reducing drag.. not necessarily bringing body to a point at rear.
Sparky, thanks for the clarification of "power divider"... I know it as "diff lock" also.
The diff lock was intented to increase traction for a limited event... such as in icey conditions or the like.
Using it for long periods of time causes the problems as mentioned.  The class is out in my mind as to lock up resistance or binding to wheel slip over the length of use.  Some wheel slip is what makes this design work and survive for short distances.
Ducting bottom air up through the body can be used to pre load the rear axle(s) also.  This can help to eliminate some bad air and unwanted lift.
Low speed wind tunnel testing with smoke will give a good look at air flow... a lot cheaper this way than on the white stuff.
Enjoying your thread... keep up the good work.  This is what I like about this site..     

Offline bbarn

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2010, 07:06:08 PM »
It won't be a lay-down model for the driver, there are way too many issues with that. The closest I want to get to a lay down is about a 30 degree reclined position, not much more than that.

Pros and Cons to the driver being forward of the front wheels
Pros:
 - I have the space available (This may change, there is still design work going on)
 - The canopy can be smaller / the head of the driver will not need to protrude much above the fuselage to get good visibility
 - Good separation of the driver from hot surfaces and flammable materials - The entire forward section of the car can be completely isolated from everything.

Cons:
 - Not as much distance between the bottom of your feet and the immovable object that just jumped up in front of you

Steering is not an issue, you'll have to wait and see what we have in mind for that. Whether the driver is fore or aft of the steering wheels is not relevant in terms of steering complexities.

Note that I was not referring to the "Akerman effect" when I stated "steering is not an issue", I was referring to how the steering movements will be actuated, not the relationship of the front wheels to one other. I will ponder the front wheel arrangement a bit more, I am not sold on the current front wheel layout and have not ruled out a tandem front wheel arrangement...yet.

Keep in mind it is still early in the dream phase of the process, there will be significant changes to come...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2010, 07:38:07 PM »
Higginbotham, put new hubs with Zero scrub radius hubs in ROSE ( which has inline strg.) this year to eliminate some issues she had in the past.  Made it much easier to drive it-- your way  :-) instead of her way  :-(
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2010, 07:42:22 PM »
I thought I had a better photo of the Speed Demon's front wheels -- but no -- so you'll have to inspect this carefully to determine if there's much offset.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2010, 07:44:42 PM »
intresting looking frt tire :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2010, 07:49:43 PM »
That's Ron Main asking Mike Cook if there's enough tire left for one more run.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bbarn

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2010, 08:21:38 PM »
I'm not sure I'd drive through the pits on that tire, let alone down the track, that's a mighty rough looking skin on the front one. Especially the loose skin that is hanging over the side and the big split in the top of the hide!

Could be camera angle or bad lighting...

Couple of questions come to mind: what tire is that? I don't remember hearing or reading about a GY tire rated to 400+? Also, it doesn't look like there is much room for growth between the two tires, any idea how much clearance for tire growth there is between them? The info I have on the MT 25.5 is that they grow 15% at speed, does this hold true for these GY tires? Also, what size are they, they look to be a rather small diameter?

Offline jdincau

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2010, 08:25:23 PM »
I seem to remember Al Teague saying one of the reasons he staggered the tires on his car was to keep the leading tire from salt blasting the one behind it.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2010, 02:38:56 AM »
Cons:

I would also think that the increased vertical surface area of the cockpit ahead of the front wheels will adversely affect handling.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2010, 07:28:24 AM »
I thought I had a better photo of the Speed Demon's front wheels -- but no -- so you'll have to inspect this carefully to determine if there's much offset.

It almost looks as if the two tyres grew into each other
Gray
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2010, 09:27:13 AM »
Is that al tape over the welds?
To keep the salt out of the weld??

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2010, 09:33:10 AM »
Sure looks like a bolt in panel.

Pete

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2010, 12:22:29 PM »
Is that al tape over the welds?
To keep the salt out of the weld??

John

If you're talking about the silver tape on the wheels I believe it's covering the balance weights...SCTA requirement.

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."