Author Topic: HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!  (Read 4762 times)

Offline landsendlynda

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
« on: November 25, 2009, 01:05:52 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!  Any that are traveling...Safe Journey... Any that are ill...Get better soon...  Any that are serving our Country and unable to be home... God Bless You, Keep You Safe, and Thank You .... Racers...Thank you for being my Family and remember...there are only 8 Major Holidays left until Speed Week...better get going on those builds... after dinner of course!!   :-D

Love to All,

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 01:45:38 PM »
Lynda, I hope you're satisfied with the countdown-'til-SpeedWeek clock on the front page of the site.  Bob fixed it -- although there's a minor glitch in the time standard that the website uses - so the clock will hit zero at 8AM Saturday the 7th -- not 7AM.  I tried for the seven -- but it was late last night when he did it and the farkle got in the way.  Close enough, okay?

Thanks for the thanksgiving wishes -- and the same to you and everyone on this here Forum.  Be safe, my friends.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 01:57:25 PM »
Jon...hmmm...still not counting down on my computer...but then mine is sick and needs an operation scheduled for sometime next week!  Anyway, 8 a.m. will be close enough  :roll: 

Oh, by the way, you did know that Nancy is my favorite...right?   :-D

But a special Thank You to you for this website and all that you do at the meets and still find time to race!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 05:27:14 PM »
Everyone have a great THANKSGIVING and say a prayer for our troops world wide that give us the protection to enjoy our sport.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 05:49:49 PM »
Here's a great dessert recipe -- that you might be able to make for Thanksgiving (assuming you can find the right kind of apples).  Otherwise -- make it soon and you'll enjoy it, I betcha.

APPLE DUMPLINGS

Do you have a metal 9” x 9” x 2” baking pan?  Why not?  6 apples fit nicely in one; otherwise, adjust recipe to fit the size of the pan you do have.  Make sure pan is at least 2 inches high.  Try using a bread loaf pan and smallering the recipe.

Peel and core 6 cooking apples (Jonathons stay firm, McIntosh cook up softer, and never use Red Delicious!).  Make certain all nerds are out of apple centers because they offend one’s tongue or at least my tongue.

Mix 2 cups Jiffy biscuit mix with 2 teaspoons baking powder, a couple of tablespoons of cooking oil, a couple of scratches of fresh nutmeg (1/8 teaspoon is plenty), and enough milk to make dough – about a half-cup or so, but experiment to make a dough moist enough to hold together but dry enough not to be so sticky that you swear when rolling it out.  Using a rolling cloth, roll out pieces big enough to wrap one around each apple.  [Note:  Consider putting an extra “patch” of crust on the bottom of the apple (covering the hole) to help hold the juice in while baking.  You’ll learn to appreciate this tip when serving the dumplings!]

Put a teaspoon or so of cinnamon sugar and a little pat of butter (Parkay!) in the core of each wrapped apple and fit them snugly into the chosen pan.  It isn’t necessary to spray Pam or rub lard on the pan – the dumplings won’t stick much.

Pour over the whole affair a syrup made of 1 cup of water, 1 1/2 cups of sugar, a stick of butter (more commonly known as margarine), enough cinnamon (to taste – about a half-teaspoon is a good place to start), and a couple of scratches of fresh nutmeg (again, 1/8 teaspoon – if you use store-bought ground stuff) which has been boiled and stirred for a couple of minutes.  Pour carefully so you don’t splash the cinnamon and butter out of the apple cores, and let each of the dumplings get that nice, shiny gloss.

Bake at 400F for 15 minutes, then lower heat to 300F for at lest 15 minutes – but maybe as long as 45 minutes, depending on how done you decide you like the apples.  Serve with decadent quantities of 1/2 & 1/2, or maybe large blobs of sweetened fresh whipped cream, (certainly NEVER use Cool Whip!) or maybe even “pour” cream, which is just whipping cream straight out of the container, or even vanilla ice cream, although I think that’s a heck of an insult to two fine foods that deserve to be enjoyed separately.

By the way – the recipe is much simpler than six paragraphs makes it seem.  Practice. . .
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:38:06 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 08:30:31 PM »
 :-D And a Happy Thanksgiving to you all here also!      Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 08:47:19 PM »
Slim I know exactly what you are talking about.  My Mom used to make those she would baste them every 10 minutes for an hour or so with the sauce and she put alittle Red food coloring in to make it Red and they would get a nice crust on them.  Man were they ever good especially with Half and Half over them.  Rome apples work really good.

Offline stratman59

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 09:09:42 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving!!! :-D

Slim thanks for the recipe will have too try.

Robbie

Offline TINY

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 09:52:42 PM »
Happy Thanksgtving to all from Tiny & Ruth at beautiful ElMirage

Offline Bville701

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 09:53:34 PM »
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!     :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline nicho919

• New folks
  • Simplicity - Because NOTHING Else Matters.
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 11:14:50 PM »
Thanks to all of the guys at ECTA that got me and my friend hooked into an expensive hobbie. Doh!

:cheers:

Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy time with the famdamily.
'98 Eclipse GS 420A (Soon to be boosted)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 12:35:37 AM »
Poor Jon is brainwashed!   :evil:

Peel and core 6 cooking apples (Jonathons stay firm, MacIntosh cook up softer, and never use Red Delicious!).  Make certain all nerds are out of apple centers because they offend one’s tongue or at least my tongue.

MacIntosh is, among other things, a winter jacket or a mis-named computer.
McIntosh is an apple.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 08:50:31 AM »
Well, how 'bout that?  I don't spell the name of the apple all that often -- just say it.  I'll check with the apple people and be sure -- and then will change my recipe (really -- it was Mom's and I just typed it from her hand-written version).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 09:16:07 AM »
Jon:

I always understood it was those personal touches that made homemade so good!!! :-D :-D :-D

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 10:15:13 AM »
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! :-D :-D