Author Topic: Single front wheel steering  (Read 28695 times)

Offline Anvil*

Re: Single front wheel steering
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 03:46:27 PM »
Center hub pivots on a short spindle inside the hub. Much like an I-beam axle only centered relative to the tire with a zero scrub radius. Caster remains the angle of the pivot with the vertical. If mounted in a single swingarm, caster angle changes as the suspension moves.

The focus-link arrangement is using two 4-bar linkage systems. One set controling pivoting in the vertical and one set for the horizontal. A four bar can approximate a pivot but on this, trail moves a bit with suspension travel and trail and camber have a unique pattern of movement with steering angle.

Thanks Blue.
I'm still trying to convince Solidworks to generate the ports in a head I want to test, so a long way from having motive power. If I get the power, you'll see a two wheeled streamliner with focus-link designed.

It's fun here, learn things.  8-)

Blue

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 01:28:36 AM »
Thank you to everyone who posted on center hubs.  Very interesting.

The focusing link has no bump steer at zero steering angle, and can have neutral, proverse, or adverse bump steering at high steering angles depending on the vertical and longitudinal spacing of the arm pivots on the swing arm.  Bump-roll can also be changed the same way;  it gets pretty complex.  Locating everything at the back and minimizing the vertical and longitudinal distances between the pivots yields the most neutral setup.

Although it would be interesting to play with all of the permutations of bump-steer/bump-roll, experience with my hands on the bars/wheel tells me that it's best to go neutral.

Offline mike mendoza

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 04:08:51 PM »
I have the plans and drawings i made my centersteering with.  Go them from "Pappy" John Stege  Mec. Engineer  with the Gov. up in Portorchard Wa.   can build or share the plans.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 01:55:40 AM »
If you are at "high steering angles" on a Bonneville car you are getting ready to do backwards!
Or you are in the pits.
Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 11:34:02 AM »
One big disadvantage/advantage of the focusing link is that high steering angles compress the suspension.

Vick

If you go to the tab and introduce yourself it would be helpful to all of us. Who are you, what is your background, are you a racer, what area do you live in.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 12:48:08 PM »
Vick's a spambot Glen.

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 01:52:24 PM »
And "Vick" is gone.  I banned the spambot this morning -- but I guess I missed a post or two.  Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks to the bunch of you that keep your eyes open and let me know when these Acuraholes get into the Forum.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline High Gear

• Team Arrow Racing
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 01:58:04 PM »
This is one way to avoid bump steer.

[/url]http://www.arrowracing.org/photogallery/photo12540/Center%20Hub%20Steering.JPG[url]

Gary
Fix What You Know is Wrong First
Spirits Of The Lakes E/FMS Berkeley #569

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 02:59:46 PM »
woops that didnt work                               willie
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:05:02 PM by sheribuchta »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 03:09:50 PM »
This is one way to avoid bump steer.

[/url]http://www.arrowracing.org/photogallery/photo12540/Center%20Hub%20Steering.JPG[url]

Gary

http://www.arrowracing.org/photogallery/photo12540/Center%20Hub%20Steering.JPG

Need a larger image..

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »
Top row of pics here: http://www.arrowracing.org/

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 04:23:50 PM »

Offline Darxus

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 03:39:33 PM »
Does anybody have a photo of an actual focusing link steering setup?  Or a more complete diagram?  I'm kind of excited about the concept, but related information seems to be very rare on the internet, and the image on http://www.rotaryeng.net/roadable.html doesn't seem to provide a way to prevent the wheel from flipping upward.  I imagine you'd add something like an additional link on each side, attached at the yoke above and horizontally in line with the side links, to vertically brace the side links. 

I realize this post is ancient, but this subject really doesn't seem to be discussed anywhere else.

Offline Darxus

• New folks
Buddfab 50cc LSR steering
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
The steering of the Buddfab 50cc LSR might qualify as focusing link, depending on the exact definition.  And it's probably better for my purpose than the rotaryeng.net design.  Sexy.

Images from:
http://www.buddfab.net/buildphotos.html
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/287/1518/Motorcycle-Article/Salt-Addiction-Buddfab-Streamliner.aspx

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 12:51:48 AM »
The roadable plane diagram does not show the springs and shocks that would prevent the U-shaped piece from flipping up, only the linkage. The buddfab also uses a 4-bar linkage to allow steering but is holding a leading-link fork. The arrangement of two 4-bar sets in two planes would be lighter, so a bit more suitable for flight.

Both work, as does center-hub steering. The nice bit is seeing the various solutions to a problem and being able to match how it couples the loads into the frame with the structure one selects (or already has). You also get to spend more time on other problems in the overall design because people shared.  8-)