Author Topic: Streamliner seat and floor  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Mean Gene

• New folks
Streamliner seat and floor
« on: November 24, 2009, 12:34:35 PM »
Can the secondary flooring of paragraph 3.G also act as the seat of paragraph 3.D.1?  I will be constructing a streamliner and my seating position will be essentially flat on my back.  It would seem logical to combine these two rule requirements, but I wanted to make sure while still in the design phase. 
You'll have to excuse me, I have AADD:  Automobile Attention Deficite Disorder

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Streamliner seat and floor
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 03:21:29 PM »
flat on your back is not good.... your ear drum should be at least 6" above your butt...
kent

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 03:24:17 PM »
should be able to---Raticals  floor is a 1/4' flat plate welded to the underside of the frame tubes but does not protude below the frame rails--it has a.060 outer skin
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 05:15:53 PM »
One of the problems with lay down cars is the seat belt arrangement, You will need to work with the belt mfg. and the SCTA rules committee to assure they agree. Visability is another issue in that position, both forward and the 120 degree requirement. You need to address these issues before the build. Just trying to help. They will probably ask for sketches etc. to work with you.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 06:37:11 PM »
Another issue you may need to address with a very high degree reclined position is SFI 38.1.
I am not sure but I think most are supposed to work with the belts and are not designed for lay down applications.

Again....I dont know.

Good luck.....and you wont be the only person that might have issues with the new rule.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 08:25:16 PM »
Can the secondary flooring of paragraph 3.G also act as the seat of paragraph 3.D.1?  I will be constructing a streamliner and my seating position will be essentially flat on my back.  It would seem logical to combine these two rule requirements, but I wanted to make sure while still in the design phase. 

While the answer is yes, pay attention to what everyone's input here.  You will want that to be secondary walls and flooring, and not a lot of wiggle room if you are not going to have a seat.  I think you will have a "hans type device" issue and look at the belt suggestions for lay down cars.  You will need to have your head and shoulders up a little or you won't be able to feel where the car is going.  Make sure you are wearing a firesuit and helmet when you finalize your seating position and windscreen.  I can recommend you try to get it where you see less than 60 feet in front of the car, it will help when you are trying to hit a turn-out when the crunchies are bad.  We rarely get on one with the lakester... it is a little hard on the nose paint.
When are you planning to be done?  If you get to Denver, I can arrange for you to sit in the lakester to help with ideas.  Or just stop by during the WOS, we will have the lakester there.
Good luck with your project
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Mean Gene

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 06:18:19 PM »
All excellent pieces of advice.  Thank you for your input.  Based on everyone's input I may have been a bit greedy in my initial idea for seating position.  I'll shoot for Stainless1's 60 ft suggestion while keeping the belts and hans in mind.

Thanks.
You'll have to excuse me, I have AADD:  Automobile Attention Deficite Disorder

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 07:34:18 PM »
Mean Gene, another thing to consider is to buy a bunch of PVC tubung and do a cockpit mock up. You can do it on a bench with casters so you can roll it around while working on it. Something about one foot off the floor for ease. Use PVC  tubing of at least 1 1/2"

Don't glue it as you will find it's pretty stiff and allows  for changes easy. You can use elbows and straight couplings. You will find it saves a lot of headaches and $$$$ up front. Like they mentioned above having all safety gear on for fitting is critical. Good luck on the build and don't be afraid to ask questions and do a photo and build diary.

You didn't say what area you live in but there could be close to some of the other LSR people that can give you some help.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:36:09 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah