Author Topic: Previous/Next links for pages in threads  (Read 3783 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Previous/Next links for pages in threads
« on: November 23, 2009, 08:13:35 PM »
Yanno what I'd find to be really nice?  Previous/Next links or < > buttons to go to the (duh) next or previous page of postings in a thread.  There's a Prev/Next link on the right bottom of the thread pages, but it navigates to the next or previous thread.  But if yer following a particular thread with hundreds of posts and dozens of pages, it'd be nice to hit just one button all the time instead of clicking on the individual page number.  I'd prefer the words "Prev" and "Next" cuz they make a bigger target for klutzy old ex-programmers like me.

Any thoughts?

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Previous/Next links for pages in threads
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 08:19:53 PM »
Sure, Ray -- my thoughts are that this Forum runs on software from SMF -- I think that's Simple Machines Forum or something, like it says in the upper right-hand corner of the Forum pages.  In other words -- I didn't Jon Amo didn't, and Bob Clancy doesn't control what we can do with the Forum -- SMF does.  Maybe I'm wrong, of course, and someone will come up and offer a way to do what you ask for.  But it sure as heck ain't gonna be me.

Check your email inbox in a few minutes, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:50:55 AM »
Speaking of such as navigating around in existing threads -- during Speedweek someone or two of you folks asked me if we could display more of the page-numbers in threads.  That is -- until Bob changed it just the other day, all you were offered of previous pages were the nearest two or three, then (continuing backwards) a few dots, then the first page.    If you wanted to back up from the current page and find something more than three pages back -- you'd have to click the smallest of those three numbers, then do it again then again, and so on 'til you got where you wanted.

Now there are about ten or a dozen displayed -- so while you can't always go directly to the page you're seeking, at least you can head there ten at a time, not three.

That wasn't as bad as I had expected, so thanks to whomever asked.  The website learns a new trick.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 10:19:30 AM »
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.