Author Topic: Hood Scoop  (Read 17112 times)

Offline stratman59

Re: Hood Scoop
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 06:20:25 PM »
Rex,

Thanks for the formula.
Thats alot better than what i had.

Robbie

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 06:34:17 PM »
Mr Schimmer and Mr Bettes, Boyle eclipsed Bernoulli by a few years with that formula -he published it in 1662. (One of the few things I retained from HS Physics.) And Charles added temperature, as I recall.

To add to Rex's description of scoop requirements, you can't WISH the air to go places.
You can MANAGE it as witnessed by the strange tabs, winglets and bumps the F1 people come up with. Like Larry  McReynolds said a 'couple weeks ago  "There's no free lunch in aero."

A simplistic scoop shape might be to picture the exhaust valve throat as the open airstream and the header flange as the "target" for your airflow. I.E the carburetor (s) or injector ram tubes.

5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 07:33:03 PM »
Rex,

Stan and I have had discussions about Air Scoops vs. Air Ducts. We both run Street Roadsters and the rules regarding Hood Scoops have changed in 2009 to limit the front of the Scoop to the front hood line. The rule was intended for other body types but we got swept up by it for this year at least.

With a non-taped Air Duct such as Stan runs, the expansion of the cross section is internal to the Duct. He also said that this should be just inside the inlet (opening quickly). Should that divergence be a certain angle in relation to the distance from the inlet to the carb, say 45 degrees, or 90 degrees to airflow at the inlet face, or some other angle?

I understand that in addition to pressure recovery the goal is also to reduce turbulance in the plenum.

Tom

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 07:49:16 PM »
I was told the objective was calm air at 10,000 below sea level :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 08:10:20 PM »
As I recall a couple of years ago Tom Bryant did a lot of research on hood scoops for the Tom Thumb coupe.
It's probably on his web site that's listed under links on this site. Tom I am sure would be glad to talk with anyone on this.  www.bryant automotive redding Ca.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 08:23:50 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline stratman59

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 09:07:16 PM »
Glen,

Thanks for the info.

Robbie

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 03:22:04 PM »
Tom,
I am not completely up to speed on the new air scoop rules for your roadsters class but the general rule is that the inlet should expand at around 7-9 degrees per side, so if you did a cone the included angle would be 14-18 degrees. The idea of course is to keep the air attached to the interior of the scoop and try to prevent turbulance, also if the air has to turn 90 deg from the scoop/plenum to the engine inlet then you should probably think about some sort of turning vanes to help the air to go into the engine. Lots of big time research is being done on air scoops by the F1 guys and they have been doing it for years so just keep the sides smooth, no sudden transitions, try to not have sharp corners and good luck.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 04:30:27 PM »
Thank you Rex!

That gives me a good idea where to start.

Tom

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 07:20:36 PM »
Tom, remember unless the rule has changed the taper or anything you want must be on the inside of the part that protrudes in front of the grille shell. I believe the rule still states that the air device must not taper and that has always been the outside dimensions....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline stratman59

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 07:48:45 PM »
Jimmy Six,

You are talking about roadsters or all cars.

Robbie

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 11:24:42 AM »
Robbie,

JD and I were talking about a roadster application, but applies to cars of all types. Look at the SCTA Rulebook for definitions. Hood Scoops and Air Intakes/Ducts are two different animals and have different specifications.

Tom

Online Stan Back

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 11:25:43 AM »
All cars -- but he's referring correctly to Air Intakes, not Hood Scoops.  

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Online Stan Back

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 11:30:12 AM »
Tom --

I've got to learn how to type faster.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 02:26:46 PM »
How about a variable inlet like the SR-71 uses? :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 07:58:50 AM »
Floyd,
If I was doing a "cost is not object" project I would certainly do something like the SR-71 inlet. It would give you the best of both worlds, large inlet for low speeds and reduced area for high speeds and great aero. As one of my more favorite sayings goes "Only time and MONEY prevent me from doing this!""

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.