Author Topic: Push Vehicles?  (Read 10574 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Push Vehicles?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 09:47:06 AM »
Josh, you just pushed off and are headed to the pits...  Your pickup vehicle with the trailer is waiting at the 6, Glen just announced that your car turned out just before the 2 and he stopped to close to the course.... they need the support vehicle to push him to the return road so we can continue racing.... see the need, you are less than 2 minutes away, the trailer is 5... that is another car down the course!

Every vehicle used in your racing operations needs CB communication... and for your safety and that of others a fire extingusher...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JoshH

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 12:35:48 PM »
I'm not debating the need just curious about making a CB system working on something like a quad. I'm sure its do-able. If you are going to have a dedicated push vehicle and recovery vehicle I think the location of the recovery vehicle is debatable, maybe at the 3? That way the push vehicle would aid recovery for the 0-3 and the recovery would handle a full pass.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 01:45:28 PM »
Mount the CB on the quad just like you'd mount it on any vehicle -- hook the 12V input wires to the battery/switched lead, and mount an antenna on the vehicle.  If you mount the antenna on fiberglass - make sure you've got an antenna that will work in such a location.  Otherwise -- bolt the whip (choose your favorite style) to metal, connect the antenna coax to the radio, plug in a speaker -- you're on the air.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 03:49:10 PM »
Is the concern the limited power output of the quad?

I would think pretty much any motorcycle or quad stator would be enough to handle a CB, you won't pull the full rated power unless transmitting, and shouldn't be transmitting at all if all goes well.  In an emergency you should have  brief transmission period before taking other action.

Never tried it on a quad, so could be wrong...

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 03:58:53 PM »
I had one on my quad  with external speaker and at full volumn at 10 mph it was difficult to hear even with some one close. The wind noise wiped it out. The point is we need to be able to talk to you and hear an hear you so everyone is on board with the track control. That's not to much to ask.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JoshH

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 08:53:36 PM »
Na not a power issue.

Glen, exactly... I think a in helmet mic and speaker is needed in this case, just as a regular in car radio system - that's what I was thinking all along. You would be satisfying the SCTA with any CB but if its not useable what's the point?

I'm glad where having the discussion though. Now someone with the same question can find the answer here. BTW, Slim, thanks for maintaining this site I can't tell you how helpful it is for things not specifically mentioned in the rule book.

Josh

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 09:02:58 PM »
Power available on a quad:  I'd be amazed if there isn't 4 amps of 12 VDC -- which is about all a CB would draw during transmit.  The radio draws only a few hundred milliamps during receive - maybe a little more if you've got a remote speaker cranked up.

Glen's got a good point about the noise, though -- and I'd suggest speakers built into the helmet.  I've got them in the Gold Wing (touring) helmets -- the good ones, suitable for decent quality stereo music -- are less than a hundred bucks for the set.  Cheaper ones would work just fine for this application.  When you hear a motorcycle passing with the stereo blasting -- it's partly because he wants EVERYONE to know how cool he is, what with music on the bike and all that -- and partly because he's trying to overcome the noise that would otherwise drown out the music.  In other words -- he's proving that Glen and I are correct about the background noise.  Add a race engine starting off -- and you'll use helmet speakers.

I wouldn't worry too much about having the microphone mounted to the helmet -- a standard mic clipped to the bars, where you could grab it if necessary, should be fine.  And cheaper, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 09:11:02 PM »
I don't think a hand held is a good idea as the rider would be steering with one hand and if in a emergency it could cause problems and not a good thing for a push vehicle. Great for pulling/pushing thru the pits and to the start but as a push vehicle from 3 or 7 miles on the return road will be a long trip. However it's up to the SCTA if they will allow it.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 09:23:50 PM »
I've gotta believe that there's a bluetooth integrated CB system for motorcycles that would be the cat's pajamas for a quad in this case.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 01:34:55 PM »
MM I think I saw one in the display at the truck stop in West Wendover (Petro?).
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 06:07:23 PM »
The W. Wendover truckstop is a Pilot, not a Petro -- but for the sake of this discussion it probably doesn't matter.  I'm just being my usual pedantic self. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 11:52:04 AM »
Didn't no that you were a runner.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 06:41:49 PM »
That's why I use Kaopectate, Stan.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Peter Jack