Author Topic: Good Times and Thanks for the Last EM meet of 2009!  (Read 5205 times)

Offline Papi

Good Times and Thanks for the Last EM meet of 2009!
« on: November 16, 2009, 06:44:59 PM »
MrsPapi and I had a great time for the last meet of 2009 at EM.  It has been a wonderful first year for us, with many adventures along the way, including our first official "Bonneville Story".

The last meet for us at EM was bittersweet. Happily, we made it through our first year unscathed and acquiring all we set out to do on time like clockwork.
Sadly, we are sorry to see it end so quick.  El Mirage was my first meet of the year, and the last of 2009.  We so look forward to May 2010!

The neat thing about the last meet was spending time with great friends and the LSR Family. Thanks to Willie and Sheri, the Stew was hot and the fire was warm for Saturday night. We also enjoyed talking with the fellow racers, new and old alike. It has been a lot of fun to hang out with the same group of folks each meet.

We have met some wonderful folks these past 6 months, and all have been very helpful getting us indoctrinated into the world of LSR.
I would like to thank the members of SDRC, John Noonan, Bob Moreland, Eric and Michelle for teaching us the ropes.  Also would like to thank the entire SCTA/BNI Org and all the great folks who took a few minutes with me each event to coach me up. Special thanks to Jo Ann, Judy, Mr. Creel, Kieth and Dan for answering all my silly questions. Also Mr. Jensen for being patient and kind at the line to get me going each time as a Rookie. Tom for getting me through my first inspection and Van and Cathy for helping me out to understand everything else. You guys are all awesome and first rate.

A few others I would like to thank: Glen, Michelle Brady, Leslie Porterfield, Jack Costella, Kip and Donna up in Wendover, LandsEndLynda, Slim and Nancy, my buddies at SouthBayRiders.com, and all the fellow racers who pitched in and helped out with advice, extra hands and whathaveyou's along this great journey. :cheers:

Here are a couple parting pix of EM Nov. 2009. See you all next year, and Go Fast !

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 06:56:54 PM by Papi »
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
Re: Good Times and Thanks for the Last EM meet of 2009!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 06:47:55 PM »
 :-D Glad to hear you and the Mrs., and the dogs ae home safe!  Was apleasure meeting you also and am looking forward to doing it again in May.    Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Papi

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 06:58:18 PM »
Was a pleasure meeting you also and am looking forward to doing it again in May.    Crow.

Same here Crow. We will need to spend some more time together next meet. The weekend just flew by didn't it?
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 07:42:03 PM »
What's that last picture?

Pete

Offline Papi

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 07:54:45 PM »
What's that last picture?
Pete

Exactly. A few of us were standing around scratching our heads to. The story I got was that the truck was designed and built in the 1970's.
The Rocket Powered vehicle on board is just a display piece and nothing more. Do not know anymore history behind it, but I'm sure someone will chime in. They took it to the end of the lakebed and shot some pictures, then packed it up and went home.   :|
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline mkilger

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 09:36:05 PM »
Crow it was nice chating with you, see you at Elmo in may. If you come to so cal look me and terry up.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 03:36:51 AM »
The truck and rocket car (mock up) was built in 1976 by Tony Fox.

The car was called "The Proud American" the truck "Bonneville Boss"

Craig Breedlove tried in the same year to get Tony Fox as a sponsor for his Spirit of America Sonic II - also a rocket car concept with 4 rocket power units. The mock up of the SoA Sonic II was sold by Craig about ten years ago and is now in Las Vegas on display.

Tony Fox's companies went into financial troubles so the project of the PA was never finished.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 08:44:26 AM »
Thanks Pork Pie. Your knowledge of the Salt Flats history comes through again.

Pete

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 11:18:10 AM »
 :-D mkilgr,,,You also,  Sorry you werent feeling to well!  Nice talking with you and I have Terry's address,  if I get to Californicate this spring I will surely visit you both.   Have a good Holiday season and tell Terry the same.    BCNU   Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 01:34:22 PM »
I was told that it was to be used next year as a sort of heat-seeking roving patrol for back door violators.

Also the SCTA like the idea of a trailer on top of a trailer sort of thing.  They're big into trailers.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 01:37:27 PM »
we had a great time on the couch!

get those projects done over the winter and we'll do it again in May.

Dave

McRat

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 01:40:45 PM »
I was told that it was to be used next year as a sort of heat-seeking roving patrol for back door violators.

Also the SCTA like the idea of a trailer on top of a trailer sort of thing.  They're big into trailers.

"Back Door Violators" sounds too much like a new HBO special.  How about The Depth Perception Impaired?

Offline Freud

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 04:34:28 PM »
Can you imagine relying on the lamp on the couch to get off the lakebed in a dust storm?

Mort would have had a keg on it, had he built it.

FREUD
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:37:58 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 04:48:05 PM »
The table lamp definately sucked for navigation, so I added a headlight!

btw: it has a built in ice-chest  :cheers:

Dave