Author Topic: LTA Rulebook Changes  (Read 9646 times)

Offline Bob Wanner

LTA Rulebook Changes
« on: November 15, 2009, 10:36:16 PM »
"TedGram" suggested in another topic anyone had any questions/changes suggestions to our Rules (which are a clone of the ECTA Book).
We are open to any and all ideas or opinions.
Please to post after researching the book to make your idea isn't already covered.
The Archives of  land-speed@autox.team.net are an excellent source of previous discussions.
That's what we want, well thought out questions.
 We'll kick them around, technically, realistically, legally, safely .
All the contemporary concerns.
Sometimes the obvious is ignored by the inconvenience of reality.
I hope everybody posts soon so any possible changes/additions can be in the new RuleBook. 
BOB W 

Offline White Monster

Re: LTA Rulebook Changes
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 10:02:43 AM »
Bob,
When are you planning to release the new Rule Book ?
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 04:57:06 PM »
Dear White,
As we have the luxury currently of not having our event until August, we can put our version of the RuleBook out later than the ECTA, who has their first event four  months earlier. This is not to say we'll deliberately delay it, it's just we don't need it to be available early in spring like ECTA's.
In reality, most of you know our book will be practically a clone of the ECTA book, just different records from our initial event, and local stuff F.Y.I.
Bob W

Offline tedgram

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 07:07:08 PM »
  Having an car that has a turbo from the manufacture and running in production. I would like to see the fire suit requirement for closed blown & turbo cars running production & super street changed to read 135-150 mph SFI 3.2A/5, 150-200 mph SFI 3.2A/15, over 200mph SFI 3.2A/20. 

Dear White,
As we have the luxury currently of not having our event until August, we can put our version of the RuleBook out later than the ECTA, who has their first event four  months earlier. This is not to say we'll deliberately delay it, it's just we don't need it to be available early in spring like ECTA's.
In reality, most of you know our book will be practically a clone of the ECTA book, just different records from our initial event, and local stuff F.Y.I.
Bob W

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:09:35 PM by tedgram »

Offline Abominable Snowman

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 08:24:11 AM »
I would like better diagrams of what is an acceptable configuration of a 4 point, 6 point etc roll cage.
I agree with the previous post about the fire suit requirements for blown closed cars.

Offline tedgram

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 07:16:44 PM »
  I am planing on building a six point with removeable door bars. I would like some feed back on the door bars.

I would like better diagrams of what is an acceptable configuration of a 4 point, 6 point etc roll cage.
I agree with the previous post about the fire suit requirements for blown closed cars.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 10:59:50 AM »
Been thinking hard about this one and I guess I'm the one to post it.  :-D

I noticed a rule that the Mojave Mile folks are using that got me thinking.  The 1.5 mile track at Loring is unique to say the least.  For some of us folks who mainly run the mile, going that extra 2640 feet yielded some surprising speeds. 

Instead of using the ECTA/LTA 5 mph cushion rule maybe we ought to rethink a slightly modified version.  Under the current rules, if a vehicle that is teched up to 200 mph traps at 206 then racing ends for them.  That 3% error basically has cost them the entire event.  You can say well they deserve it, but as we saw last August, some vehicles picked up as much as 20-25 mph from their 1 mile runs else where and I can say for sure that gauges (speedo, tachs, etc..) can easily be off by 5-7% as they approach their limit.

Which is why I suggest: That we set a realistic maximum speed limit based on their safety tech plus a percentage (over by 5% or 7% or 10%) in which the participate, if going more than 5 mph to x% would get their one and only warning. That particular run would not count for anything and the participate would not receive their speed slip.  If said participate goes more than 5 mph over their safety limit again, they go home. At any time a vehicle goes beyond the x% over, they go home.  In all cases of obtaining speeds above the safety tech limit, the vehicle must be brought up to the next safety tech level before participating in the next event.

BTW, the Mojave Mile is using 10% above as their maximum speed limit.

Offline 2K10 SS

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 05:52:57 PM »
 I'm confused by the way you wrote your suggested rule.  Can you use the 200 mph example with your suggested rule?  Also if the vehicle can meet the next safety requirements at the same event, can they keep competing?
NEED FOR SPEED (164.9mph as of Loring 2010)
                        (186.9mph as of Loring July 2011)

Offline stratman59

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 06:27:48 PM »
2k10ss,

For example if you are teched to 200 mph and you can go 10% over 200 or 220mph and if you go over 220 mph then you get warned the first and kicked out the second.
That's what i get out of it.
Just using 10% as a example.
At Maxton you get a 5 mph cushion.

Robbie

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 07:18:20 PM »

Been thinking hard about this one and I guess I'm the one to post it.  :-D

I noticed a rule that the Mojave Mile folks are using that got me thinking.  The 1.5 mile track at Loring is unique to say the least.  For some of us folks who mainly run the mile, going that extra 2640 feet yielded some surprising speeds. 

Instead of using the ECTA/LTA 5 mph cushion rule maybe we ought to rethink a slightly modified version.  Under the current rules, if a vehicle that is teched up to 200 mph traps at 206 then racing ends for them.  That 3% error basically has cost them the entire event.  You can say well they deserve it, but as we saw last August, some vehicles picked up as much as 20-25 mph from their 1 mile runs else where and I can say for sure that gauges (speedo, tachs, etc..) can easily be off by 5-7% as they approach their limit.

Which is why I suggest: That we set a realistic maximum speed limit based on their safety tech plus a percentage (over by 5% or 7% or 10%) in which the participate, if going more than 5 mph to x% would get their one and only warning. That particular run would not count for anything and the participate would not receive their speed slip.  If said participate goes more than 5 mph over their safety limit again, they go home. At any time a vehicle goes beyond the x% over, they go home.  In all cases of obtaining speeds above the safety tech limit, the vehicle must be brought up to the next safety tech level before participating in the next event.

Ransom,
 I'm not pretentious enough to compare our still wet behind the ears venture to any other LSR type venue, I only know we choose to be a safe as possible.
Math here is 5 mph over 200 is 205, <10% over is still up to 219, NOT an option.
I'm getting steamed just remembering the handful that exceeded  the limits imposed on theirselves or vehicles and still broke past, some by ridiculous differences. If you can't tell if your car is 20mph over your assigned limit you are either very inexperienced and/or a liar, both of which are not welcome on our venue.
We did not throw out all the 5-10 mph violators, just the flagrant ones that obviously knew exactly what they did on purpose. 
Build your car to it's potential, pass tech, drive fast,that's it. 
Like I stated, The LTA is pretty new, and even if we are still around 20 years from now, we'll  continue to protect everybody's ass in spite of themselves.
PIA Bob W, LTA Guy 

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 07:22:44 PM »
"Acura", as in butt, derriere, life, father /mother of your children, snall stuff like  that.
BW

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 08:50:54 PM »
Bob W,,, yes I agree  safety first.... a few MPH is a cushion,, obvious violations of the yech limit are not acceptable.

See you in July

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 09:22:27 PM »
Oh, Charles, forgive me but I can't let it go without a yank on your chain. . .

"...violations of the yech limit are not acceptable."  -- meaning some item that is way beyond icky and yucky and makes you get an upset tummy just by looking at it, right, and that's what's not allowed?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 09:46:33 PM »
Jon  you have a Warped sense of humor,,, I love it,,, you are one cool dude,,,

I deserve that,,, my brain thinks much faster than my clumsy fingers can type,,, hmm and I hit send without proof reading ( as it appears many of us on here do ?? )

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline White Monster

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 09:38:54 AM »
I thought I'd chime in here with a couple of points, to reiterate what Bob posted.

Firstly, If a vehicle is not Tech'd past a certain speed, that means that knowledgeable officials have determined that the vehicle is not safe past that speed.  Safety in our sport is paramount.

Secondly, License Qualifications are to show ability of many different criteria, one being "control" over your vehicle, of which one aspect is speed.  If you are unable to control your vehicle, then new equipment (gauges) or methods (gear / rpm calculations) should definitely be considered.  Lack of exhibiting control can lead to a reduction of your License and/or expulsion from the event.  In belligerently defied cases, it can even lead to a "And don't ever come back" comment from the Race Director.

:wink:
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !