Author Topic: Triumph Bonneville fiftieth birthday presentation in Brooks, Oregon  (Read 2810 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Our local old car and bike museum asked me to do a presentation.  It is next Saturday at 10:00 AM in Brooks, Oregon just north of Salem.  Details and directions at www.nwcarandcycle.org

The first part will be a history of the Triumph twins with an explanation about why they were the Hayabusas of their era.  The second part will be a typical trip to the salt with emphasis on Bonnevilles.  Fifty years ago you could go into your local dealer and buy or order a Bonnie.  This is the bike's fiftieth anniversary.   

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Triumph Bonneville fiftieth birthday presentation in Brooks, Oregon
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 12:40:12 AM »
Last Saturday I gave the presentation.  The gas station was packed.  All of the chairs were filled and people were standing at the back of the room.  Probably eighty or more.  They were not there to see me.  Hardly anyone knew who I am.  They were there to hear about land speed racing and Triumphs.  I did the best I could.  One of my friends loaned me a Triumph engine so I could show the features that made it the Hayebusa of its day, and I had a powerpoint presentation.  On old gentleman came up during the intermission and gave me a picture he took in 1951.  This was 2 years before I was born.  It shows two young men working on a Triumph twin at a beach race in Daytona, Florida.  Another elderly fellow gave me a camshaft degree wheel for a BSA.  He was a tuner, he hung onto it for years, and he wanted it to go to a good home.  Psychology is not my strong point.  I am not sure exactly why.  I feel much smaller and more humble after giving that show and meeting all of those people. 

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 07:30:47 AM »
Now THAT is a neat story. :cheers:
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 01:36:25 PM »
I wish I could have made it to that show!
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Windy

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:43:12 PM »
Great to hear about the interest in the Bonneville, as an ex competitor in the UK who used them in the 1960 to 1970 era they took a lot of punishment running supercharged and with large doses of nitro. At that time it was the most popular engine that many of the lads I know in the sidecar grass track and circuit racing scene used. The numerous speed records that Triumph engines gained at an airfield near where I live (Elvington) shows how versatile it is.
As a last comment I wish a local man Gabrial Uttley the best with his Streamliner, understand that he will probably be at Bonneville in 2010.

Windy
I used to sprint and drag race blown 650, 750 and double engined triumphs in the late 60s to mid 70s. Best s/s 1/4 9.59sec 156mph terminal. 1974 on my double engine Triumph at Elvington. 207.9mph was averaged over the flying 1/4 mile one way. A few years later I finished riding bikes but still get a thrill when there are speed events. My intrests now are wild life (nature), fishing and making model steam driven 122+mph National record holding hydroplane. Can not keep away from speed related things. Hoping the British Steam Car Challenge eventually gets a crack at the World record. When riding the big Triumph it was always a dream to have a go on the salt flats i.e. Like Bert Munro. Unfortunately it was not to be. I wish all competitors and supporters all the best in what they do.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 12:54:19 AM »
Is Gabrial running at the BUB Trials?

My Bonneville is no longer competitive with the four cylinder bikes but it is a lot of fun to work on and ride.  My plans are to spend 2010 1nd 2011 at Bonneville developing the bike so it can run in the 140's consistently and safely.  Then, I will leave the bike alone, and before I get too old, I want to run at Elvington, Lake Gairdner, and on the beach in New Zealand.  There is a lot of history at these places.