Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 204356 times)

Offline Ellwood

• I do landracing on ice-Flying Kilometer in Sweden
    • Ellwood Hybrid - Crankcase Supercharged Prototypes
Re: Introduction
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2009, 01:09:47 AM »
Ice Studs for bikes - a guy called Peter Lundqvist in Sweden fixes us half inch long sharp spikes , they are half the length of proper ice racing spikes. 

Offline Frank06

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2009, 08:43:15 AM »
http://koldkutter.com/catalog/products.php

This is what is typically used over here: traction is no problem with big-bore dirt bikes although I don't know how they would work with 150 HP superbikes!
E-Racer

Offline Ellwood

• I do landracing on ice-Flying Kilometer in Sweden
    • Ellwood Hybrid - Crankcase Supercharged Prototypes
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2009, 09:01:49 AM »
The problem seems to be more with the front tyre spikes falling out, if the spike nuts loosen (best to loctite them) and use an asbestos board in front of the radiator in case the flying spikes puncture it

Offline Jens

• New folks
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 09:00:56 AM »
Seldom Seen Slim,

it looks smaller than it was. We plowed 6 meters wide, app. 18 feet for this run, but I would not recommend that for public racedays...

About the wheels and studs, i made a lot of different solutions, patterns and studs including tubeless studtires. There is a big diffeence between a wheel you like to stunt with or have fun in playing around in ice an snow and a wheel you like to go really fast with.

Over all i think icespeedrecoordracing is an interesting alternative to go on a save way to very high speeds.

Jens

Offline Frank06

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 10:15:08 PM »
30 years ago we were using 2 cm (3/4") screws into Carlisle grass racing tires.  They offered enough traction to pull knobs off but they were not rigid and would move around a lot.  I think screws work like a negative-rake cutting tool i.e. they grab the ice with a 90-degree angled edge.  "Traction" screws would be oriented in a different direction than "cornering" screws or "braking" screws.  You can hear them scraping when cornering and braking.  By using smaller diameter "street" tires inside the Carlisle (with the bead removed) to put the screw into, longer screws would maintain their angle with less distortion, plus they would no longer pull knobs off.  I think people use motocross tires today with the screws.  Cornering angles could be extreme and it was not unusual to move the shift lever "up" so the bike would not accidentally upshift during cornering.

I'm sure you guys know what you're doing!  I'm just offering this from an old club racer's perspective.  It's been 20 years since I've done this so I'm now out of date.   :-(

E-Racer

Offline beerbellykelly

• #1980-A/F 1350-AIRCOOLED-TOO COOL FOR SKOOL
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2009, 12:11:01 PM »
great to see fast freddy out there-burning nitro at any chance given- :cheers:

last saw him white out mantorp park in sweden with his chevy pick up-the whole circus faggerstrom was there-a really cool old panel coach,with lots of stunning women around and loads of kids driving around in gasoline tot rods-

the pulse jets look good-we made one as teenagers,but almost torched the old mans garage-so we left that one alone.

GOD BLESS THE HUMMIN' CUMMINS
www.jamesandfriend.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2009, 09:51:36 AM »
Something the propster should jump on
Believe he already has........
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2009, 09:55:46 AM »
Jerry, don't tempt him!  I still get scads of stuff from him -- even with his address in the "Send to junk file" category.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2009, 10:06:42 AM »
Jon............You have any idea how long I`ve been waiting to use that pic.???(!!!!!)
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 11:33:21 PM »
Jon............You have any idea how long I`ve been waiting to use that pic.???(!!!!!)

Probably since the day you took it . . . :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline White Monster

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2009, 04:23:50 PM »
My friend Jobergg from Sweden, posted these studded tire pictures from their ice lake racing, on another forum.

These tires are factory made but some people make their own.
Gasfot talked about buying these tires for the winter, I belive they are homemade but Gasfot maybe know how it is?
[those look allot like golf shoe spikes to me - WM]

Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline bak189

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2009, 04:33:53 PM »
Boy, those are the tires we need to get our LSR sidecar to hook up on the salt..........but I don't think
our man Drew would approve of them at the BUB Tech...............................................................
Question authority.....always

Offline floydjer

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2009, 06:04:28 PM »

Probably since the day you took it . . . :cheers:
Zzzzzzing!!! :cheers:

Offline khracing

• New folks
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2009, 08:11:19 PM »
Hi guys !

My name is Kristian, 39yrs of age, & about to also try this Flying Kilometre for the first time:

thats me, holding an fuelinjector for a"small" ferry.  :-D

I´m registered for the event with three vehicles.

1: My porposly built driftcar, an RWD Mitsubishi EVO 2, running an VEMS fuelinjectionsystem,
     a Precision680 Turbo & using Ethanol as fuel, the engine gives about 550bhp & weighting
     in at only 905kgs.
     Stock topspeed with 15" 195/55 wheels is 240kmh, im running 145/80-15 iseracingtires &
     1500rpm higher revlimiter which "should" enable me to reach 300kmh on tarmac, on ice, well,
     we just have to see. I´m attenting though to be fastest 2L turbocar.

Pics:

Videos:
http://www.garaget.org/video/x08qwgmyqz51
http://www.garaget.org/video/lz9enmbw5rdu
http://www.garaget.org/video/pj3n3arnwz7o

2: "Homemade" gokart, using an 125cc shiftercartchassies with an ex: Chesterfield 250cc moto-X
   engine with close to 55bhp., geared for 262 kmh with cartslicks, but icetires gives a lot
   higher gearing so will try & gear the cart for around 220-240kmh,  Using an supercart frontspolier
   & rear wing of an racecar to keep the cart stable during runs. rear wing is totally adjustable aswell.

Pics:

- New version:

- Old version:

- frontspolier

Videos:
http://www.garaget.org/video/kvs6p6rvesve (testing for the very first time)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PPYvvpk8tc - observe the exploding waterline in the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk9x855IH4A - 154kmh using 50-60% throttle in 4th gear

3: Pitbike 150cc Lifan MONSTER engine with aprox 22bhp when engine is completed in a few weeks.
   Running homemade iceracingtires made from 5mm bolts with washers & lockingnuts.

Pics:

- can you spot the handlebars ?

- here they are :-)

- engine LIFAN 150cc 4-stroke
- miniature 4pot calipers

- rear tire, not 100% done yet

BW, on of my favourite movies is - he worlds faasten Indian, starring Sir Anthony Hopins
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 08:38:36 PM by khracing »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2009, 08:59:41 PM »
Kristian, there's hope for you.  If nothing else -- the paint on the bike is great.  As for drifting on the ice, and a kart set for high speed ice maneuvers -- yup, you definitely belong in this group.  Welcome to the Forum
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com