Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 204345 times)

Offline DallasV

Re: Introduction
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 03:36:41 PM »
This just goes to prove that no mater what the vehicle or what engine it uses to drive it there will always be a mother that asks "wonder how safe is it?", a tree hugger that asks "wonder how good is the mileage?" a penny pincher that asks "wonder how long will it last?" and a gearhead that asks "wonder how fast I can make that sombitch go?"
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 03:43:05 PM »
So I assume that the runners on a kick are like a skag on a snowmobile?

If so, grind them with triangular bottoms on them so that they have less surface area on the ground, then coat them. You can get skags for sleds already in that shape and made out of carbide. The carbide is a little slippery-er than steel, and they wear great.

Man I wanna get to the salt....BAD!   :cry:

Off topic, we were talking last night, what color are the 400 and 500 club hats? (not that we're planning anything :-D)
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 03:44:38 PM »
This just goes to prove that no mater what the vehicle or what engine it uses to drive it there will always be a mother that asks "wonder how safe is it?", a tree hugger that asks "wonder how good is the mileage?" a penny pincher that asks "wonder how long will it last?" and a gearhead that asks "wonder how fast I can make that sombitch go?"

ROTFLMAO!
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Texican

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 08:12:01 PM »
Just a question and a comment; do ya'll have steel edges on your cross-country skis?

Teflon coating will give even less friction, that is true. The problem is that the runners on a kick is also used to steer with, so for high speed runners to work they have to be grinded just like a hockey skate with sharp edges so that they can keep the kick going straight. If they were coated the risk is that the kick can start going sideways on the track.
If somebody REALLY wants to build a big fire, and qualify for the "Darwin Awards"; Talk to Pork Pie and see if he can rummage up a pulse jet from a
V-1. That engine was capable of moving a ton of TNT to London, oughta work to the theory that "if you want to build a big fire, get a big stove!"
Jim
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:38:32 PM by Texican »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 11:04:05 PM »
Trellborg knobbys + studs + 500cc Yamaha = snow bike.  It was lots of fun.  The skiers loved to talk to me about the ruts on the ski trails.  This project ended by popular demand.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 11:05:41 PM »
I pushed the wrong button.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 02:56:19 AM »
So I assume that the runners on a kick are like a skag on a snowmobile?

If so, grind them with triangular bottoms on them so that they have less surface area on the ground, then coat them. You can get skags for sleds already in that shape and made out of carbide.

Not really, they are rectangular pieces of iron bar that are flat-bottomed. The most common use of a kick is when old ladys take them to go shopping at the local store, so standard runners doesen´t have sharp edges since a kick is not designed to see speeds above 10MPH.

Here is a pic of my runners when I was putting some paint on them, they are not grinded or treated yet.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2009, 01:07:12 PM »
Fascinating.  We've discussed racing on ice in the past on these forums.  Here in Wisconsin, both motorcycles and automobiles race on the ice on an oval course. 

But I'll be the first to admit that I was always a bit skeptical about how one could prepare a race surface long enough over ice to be viable.  Ice heaves would be my concern.

Do you prepare your course, and if so, how?  Is the lake your racing on spring fed, and if so, does that cause problems? 

This looks like it would be a real fun event.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2009, 01:10:29 PM »
Up here (in Negaunee, Michigan) we have high-speed snowmobile runs during the winter.  The lake is about two miles long -- Teal Lake -- and is small enough that there aren't any heaves or bumps or need to smooth it for racing.  I don't kow for sure how long -- might be long enough for a one-mile run up, timing trap, then shut down.  And how to stop those that are still going at the end of shutdown?  How about a big pile of fluffy snow?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 03:13:10 PM »
That's what we need at El Mirage!

But it might be hard to keep the kids from playing in it -- if they figured out what it was.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 08:16:50 PM »
Something the propster should jump on
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 08:43:23 PM »
Unfortunately Mother Nature's the only one that can make big piles of fluffy snow. As soon as it's shoveled into a pile by her assistants it starts to get hard rather rapidly. That's the reason that people are able to make igloos that some folk think we live in up here. Disturbed snow firms up rather quickly and can be cut into blocks.

Hope Thanksgiving went well for all my American friends!

Pete

Offline Jens

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2009, 12:14:02 PM »
Hi,

my name is Jens and live in Sweden, just got the info from my old friend John Elwood that they started here on this great landracing.com page a forum about icespeedrecords. Super!

We made here on the lake last winter 238 kmh, app. 148 mph on a NOS powered Buell 1125R with stuntrider Craig Jones, than the clutch was spinning (can say that now after BMC is history...).

So heres the story: http://www.nccr.se/html/craig_jones_iceproject_2009.html

and here is the video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuI2l5iSe1E (there are also some commercials from H-D out there)

I am working on the next bike to go much faster.... (-:

Jens

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2009, 06:23:05 PM »
Did I see that right -- that the rider is following a three or four foot wide "channel" plowed in the snow on top of the ice?  That doesn't leave much room for steering, does it?

Looks fun -- no sweating for hours when waiting in line.  Wear your long underwear, though. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Frank06

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2009, 10:20:12 PM »
This looks like a lot of fun!  I can't see what type of studs or spikes you are using - is there a clear picture or description?  (I used to ice race and we used a specialized sheet metal screw (almost 4 cm long) screwed through the tire into a street tire (with the bead removed) for stability.  I'm just curious.)
E-Racer