Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 204347 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Introduction
« on: November 14, 2009, 09:32:49 AM »
John Ellwood, of the Swedish Motor Alliance, asked me to create a board for the Swedish Ice Racers.  Here it is, John -- and everyone else, too.  Have at it.  Yes -- studded tires ARE allowed!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Ellwood

• I do landracing on ice-Flying Kilometer in Sweden
    • Ellwood Hybrid - Crankcase Supercharged Prototypes
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 11:29:48 AM »
Hi everyone, on behalf of the SMA and Glenn Ocklund, it is a great honour to be on your Topic board. Please feel free to discuss anything about the  Flying Kilometer on Ice with us. Everyone is getting excited here as the lakes start to freeze, and our second Flying K event in late March shall soon be opon us. Our track is 3 km long, the first Km to build up speed and the last one to brake.

The  Speedweekend on Ice 2010 18-20 March regs have come out now, Check out www.landracing.se ,see header Tävlingsinformation then Speedweekend on ice then inbjudan(invitation)/startlista(startlist). Anyone wanting to sign up can send their name, adress, vehicle etc to us. A limited amount of you LSR members without the possibility of bringing a vehicle, but wanting to come and try their luck can borrow my Kawasaki ZXR 750 `89. Its not so fast, but reliable, and last time on the ice managed 181 kmh ridden by Mad Micke Andersson with a front wheel puncture!

The long studded tyres can drop normal asphalt speeds by up to 20 %, so there is quite a bit of experimenting which studs give optimal results. There were even some cars and bikes last time which ran normal tyres !
Also a factor is the extreme cold - when we woke up there one morning it was -30 degrees C. Some cars were difficult to start, as their antifreeze/Glykol wasn`t adequate, the engine oil sticky, also a factor to drive around and warm up the engine, gearbox and diff oil before letting rip on the track. Even a thought about laptops - it was so cold my screen wouldnt show anything, so I was unable to reprogram the electronic choke curves. The coming event we hope to have a heated container to mechanic and warm up our bikes and quads in.
I`m sure a lot of our SMA www.landracing.se guys and girls can tell you more exact figures than me, so fire away and ask

Here is an english translation of our coming event:- Seldom Seen Slim- let me know if this is too much info.

Invitation:
Speed Weekend on Ice 25-27 Mars 2010 Funäsdalen

This race is held according to Landracings national racing rules together with these additional rules.
Even open for foreign drivers.
Police permission:
SMA Svenska Motorsport Alliansen sanctioned race

ARRANGER:       Landracing.se / Glenn Ocklund
RACE LEADERS:       Glenn Ocklund/ Peter Nordling
ORGANISATIONS KOMMITTEE:    To be announced later
TYPE OF RACE:    Land Speed Record on Ice, flying kilometer open for all vehicles.
RACE STATUS:    SM Swedish mastership in speed record on ice is flying kilometer
RACE TRACK:    The race consists of a speed record track totally 3,2 km long, 30 m wide. 1,1 km acceleration. 1 km measured, 1,1 km braking stretch.
   Flying 100 meter för slower vehicles.

1. Speed record Thursday-Saturday
2. Ice track for mc, bil open for training

CLASSES:  

Class 1 Moped < 50 cc                                              
Class 2 Moped <90 cc                                              
Class 3 Mc <500 cc
Class 4 Mc <750 cc
Class 5 Mc <1000 cc                                                
Class 6 Mc >1000 cc  
Class 7 Snow scooter <600 cc      
Class 8 Snow scooter <1000 cc      
Class 9 Snow scooter >1000 cc      
Class 10 Quad <450 cc      
Class 11 Quad <750 cc         
Class 12 Quad <1000 cc         
Class 13 Quad >1001 cc      
Class 14 Car< 2000 cc (1979-2009)                          
Class 15 Car <3000 cc (1979-2009)                          
Class 16 Car >3001 cc (1979-2009)                        
Class 17 Roadster-<1949                                        
Class 18 Coupe -<1949                                            
Class 19 Sedan -<1949                                            
Class 20 Pickup -<1949                                          
Class 21 50 1950-1959                                                                  
Class 22 60 1960-1969                                            
Class 23 70 1970-1979
Class 24 Truck 1950-1979
Class 25 FE Dragster front engine                          
Class 26 RE Dragster rear engine                            
Class 27 Truck over 3500 kg                                  
Class 28 Other class, which does not class in the above classes
Class 29 Mc V-Twin <1949                          
Class 30 Mc V-Twin  >1950                                
Class 31 Killer Bee (Pit bike in accordance with Finnish Bomber rules)
Class 32 Car <1000 cc
Class 33 Car <500 cc
Class 34 Mc 500 cc <1949   
Class 35 Mc 501 cc < 1949      
Class 36 Mc 500 cc <1973      
Class 37 Mc 501 cc < 1973      
Class 38 JET
Class 39 Sidecar Mc

Note! Class 1-39 A, B, D, T, after the class , A=Without overpressure
 B=With overpressure and/or Laughing gas. D=Diesel. T=2 stroke motor.
Class 17-26 applies to USA vehicles
STARTPLACE:    Funäsdalen/Ljusnedal Gyllene Bocken. Depot by the start
Reporting/testing:    Reporting 08.00 – 10:00. At the depot 25/3, 08:00-09:00 26-27/3
Driving between runs:    All transport shall be at walking pace, or with engine turned off.
Drivers who do not respect this rule will be disqualified.  
TRAINING:       After the drivers meeting by class

DRIVERS MEETING:     10.30 am At the Depot. With a name call out for all drivers, all days
FIRST START:     Thursday 11.00 am, Friday 10.00 am, Saturday 10.00am
Race track prohibited    After the race is finished every day, no tracks are allowed to be driven  
SERVICEPLACE:    The arrangers shall show the Service place. An environment mat or tarpaulin under the vehicle to be used.
VEHICLE:         According to the separate classes.

RACE :    One training pass without time, then record attempt Thurs 25/3 to    Sat 27/3 13:00.
                                      Saturday 27/3 13:00-15:30 final for the 3 fastest in each class class where the Swedish Mastership will be given to the absolute fastest Vehicle. (even an earlier time can be counted)
FINAL INSTRUCTION:    A PM may be given out if necessary on site, or be issued on the website
ENTRY MONEY:     The entry money for three days is 800 SEK, whereof a  deposit of    400 SEK  shall be paid into Swedish BankGiro 5635-9169 latest 25 February so that the entry can be registered. After the registered payment is made, then your place is booked.
Eventual late entries (if space left) then payment will be 1200:- (total)
ENTRY:    The entry shall be made to the arranger latest 25 February 2010.
The entry MUST be made at www.speedweekend@landracing.se och MUST include the following.

Name
Address
Mobil nr
Mail address
Class       (plus A,B, D, or T(can be more than one)
Vehicle      (model, type)
Entry/Sponsor
Wished start nr   (look in the start number list and choose a    
free one) preferably not more than 3 digits)

Depot size      (car+trailer, bus or truck length and bredth)

Photo      (preferably photo of vehicle – optional)

AMOUNT OF STARTERS:    Arrangers maintain the right to limit total of starters to 60. If there are more entries, then first come, first served rule guarantees the start possibility.
PRIZE JUDGING:    This is by class with a Diploma to all with the highest registered speed. Trophies from 1st to the 6th placed total fastest. If 7 entries in one class then a trophy will be given to the first, if 10 entries in one class then the top 3 get a trophy
RESULT LIST:     Will be given out at the start line after the race is finished and posted on the website
PRIZES:       Free for sponsors to come with a prize suggestion

PRIZE GIVING:     As soon as possible after the evening food at the Gyllene Bocken.
CANCELLATION/      
INFO:        Glenn Ocklund info@Landracing.se +46 705 610 500

PRESS/MEDIA:   info@Landracing.se
POSTPONEMENT:    If the racing permission is not obtained ,or less than 40 entries , then the race can be blown off.
Announced on website www.Landracing.se
PROTESTS:    leave your eventual protests within 30 minutes after the end  of the finished race  
LICENCE:    A one time licence for the event can be purchased upon arrival. SMA issue these, car 3 days 150 SEK, Mc 200 SEK, several drivers can share the same vehicle, but each driver must purchase a licence in order to be insured.
ENVIRONMENT:    Environment mats shall always be used at your service stops. Green fuel is recommended, such as  Aspen Plus or racing 102 oktane, E 85, etc.
CATERING:    On the ice Gyllene Bocken serves Lunch which is included in the lodgings package from Gyllene bocken, served between  12-13:00
LODGINGS:    All lodgings in Funæsdalen can be booked simplest through www.Gyllenebocken.se info@gyllenebocken.se Tel: +46 (0) 684 210 90
CAMPING:       There is a possibility to camp in the depot, although a spaces .
Fundamental rules  Speed Weekend      

• Three days on the ice, Thurs-Saturday.

• Tyres :- you can use what you like, but they must be in good condition. The arrangers test crew shall inspect and mark all tyres at the testing station upon arrival.

• Obligatory dead mans grip on mc, quad, scooter, moped.

• Start numbers are provided on site by the arranger, and shall mounted on the cars side back side windows or front door, so the driver needs to ensure an area of  200x200 mm to mount the start numbers on.

• Racing leathers or similar obligatory on MC, Snow scooter or Moped and Quad. Also Helmet, Back protector, leather gloves or similar.

• Safety equipment in car: Helmet, gloves, flameproof underclothes are the minimum demand.

• Transponder is not necessary

• Environment mat is a demand, and take care with glykol and oil because it is a sensitive nature environment. Any spills shall be reported directly to the race organizers.

• Handling runs are to be with care, and the speed to be increased by 30 kmh steps after 150 kmh in order to get the feeling of the vehicle and check the tyres / vehicle for extra safety.
 1,1 km run up, 1km timed speed stretch,  1,1 km braking stretch.

• Safety classing the car :
Without roll cage – 250 kmh average speed.
Over 250 km average speed – a proper recommended roll cage/bar with supports, 4 point seatbelt and racing seat and prop shaft protection ring
Open cars must be equipped with at least a roll bar with supports and hand proection

• Lodgings package can be booked for the GylleneBocken ons-sunday for a reduced price, and this is reserved for drivers/team, many other kinds of lodgings can be booked through the Gyllenebocken Tel: +46 (0) 684 210 90.

• The Speed track is divided into 2 different sectors depending on the speed,  - track 1 short track flying kilometer 100 meter, track 2 flying kilometer 3,2 km long.

• For other questions contact  info@Landracing.se

• Time taking is done by Fredrik Skoghag www.SLC.se with photocells, the time is measured when the vehicle passes the photocells.

• Ambulance is on place Thursday, Friday and Saturday

www.guinnessworldrecords.com can attend but the driver has to contact them, this must be done at least 2 months before the record attempt, preferably 3 months, and they only recognize the fastest MC , Car , etc – (they do not recognize class wins, only absolute fastest car, mc, etc)

• Rock band is booked for Saturday night.

• All photographing and filming for private  use is allowed, press cards are necessary for the Media

• Otherwise we hope you have a plaesant weekend on the ice , with Spring sunshine.

Regards, Ellwood
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:53:58 AM by Ellwood »

Offline bbarn

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 12:02:41 PM »
Hi everyone, on behalf of the SMA and Glenn Ocklund, it is a great honour to be on your Topic board. Please feel free to discuss anything about the  Flying Kilometer on Ice with us. Everyone is getting excited here as the lakes start to freeze, and our second Flying K event in late March shall soon be opon us. Our track is 3 km long, the first Km to build up speed and the last one to brake.

The long studded tyres can drop normal asphalt speeds by up to 20 %, so there is quite a bit of experimenting which studs give optimal results. There were even some cars and bikes last time which ran normal tyres !
Also a factor is the extreme cold - when we woke up there one morning it was -30 degrees C. Some cars were difficult to start, as their antifreeze/Glykol wasn`t adequate, the engine oil sticky, also a factor to drive around and warm up the engine, gearbox and diff oil before letting rip on the track. Even a thought about laptops - it was so cold my screen wouldnt show anything, so I was unable to reprogram the electronic choke curves. The coming event we hope to have a heated container to mechanic and warm up our bikes and quads in.
I`m sure a lot of our SMA www.landracing.se guys and girls can tell you more exact figures than me, so fire away and ask.
Regards, Ellwood

Here is their site translated by Google into English.  http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.landracing.se&sl=sv&tl=en&history_state0=

Ellwood, what is the top speed you guys are hitting on ice? I have to think anything faster than a slow walk at -30 C has to be great on exposed skin!
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Ellwood

• I do landracing on ice-Flying Kilometer in Sweden
    • Ellwood Hybrid - Crankcase Supercharged Prototypes
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 01:23:33 PM »
Hi bbarn, The fastest guy , Peter Vestman on a Hayabusa managed 247.81 kmh, (approx 150 mph.)
Cars,: Audi RS4 228.76, Ford Roadster-34 203.76, Harley Superglide (supercharged) 214.03

Only the four above drivers made it in the above 200kmh club.

But we had a grasscutter tractor which made 149.56, and a jet driven spark (a sort of sledge like the huskies pull) that made it like 20 yards or so, and warmed us all up with the flames.
The biggest machine was an old Peterbilt truck, and the smallest was a guy on a snow racer (pulled behind a van) that made 150 kmh.

check out the 200 kmh club guys, at top of website it on header Välkommen (welcome) then under pops up 200kmh ice club.

Under the header Tävlingsinformation (race information) , then  förare ( driver) presentation you can see some of the vehicles that are coming next event, and their speeds from last event.

Also you can see under header Media  then bild (photo) and film

You guys may become pretty good at Swedish before you come and visit the race.
Regards, Ellwood
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 03:31:21 AM by Ellwood »

Offline White Monster

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 10:27:36 AM »
This is so cool (ha, ha, ha, I just crack me up) !
 :-D

Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline beerbellykelly

• #1980-A/F 1350-AIRCOOLED-TOO COOL FOR SKOOL
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 05:54:48 PM »
this looks like a good way to get those swedes out of the forests during winter-

i had a go at ice racing on a 490 ktm in iceland a ways back-we just used a cordless driver to put woodscrews though the knobs on knobblie moto-x tyres,the inner side was sealed with two blobs of silicon and a hd inner tube used for insurance-

the lean angles were like a superbike on asphalt-and the riding/braking tecniques were different

the thought of modern sportbikes with the same capacity is a good thought-

have fun and enjoy-will watch this space-
GOD BLESS THE HUMMIN' CUMMINS
www.jamesandfriend.com

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 04:22:26 PM »
Hi there!

Last years event showed that a speed event really was needed here in Sweden, there are no dry bed lakes around here so there has been no place for us to test our vehicles in terms of top speed. The Speed Weekend is also great since it allows almost any kind of vehicles, both the racers and the audience appreciate the wide variety of vehicles ranging from gocarts with motorcycle engines to beautifully restored veteran cars.

We ran a gas turbine kick last year, it was more or less a pile of crap welded together so we were almost as surprised as the audience when we managed to get it roaring down the race track 40m or so. This winter we are going to make a serious (well, relatively at least...) attempt with a pulsejet powered kick, an ice yacht with twin pulse jets, a steam rocket powered kick and one or two kicks with large homebuilt afterburning gas turbines.

If we cannot be the fastest guys on the track we can at least be the loudest. :-D

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:24:34 PM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 04:56:19 PM »
I'm mot sure what to say -- but have at it -- looks like you're having fun!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 05:18:09 PM »
Sure wouldn't want to fall off with the afterburner on! :-o :evil:

Pete

Offline bbarn

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 06:19:50 PM »
Fall off, that would be nothing compared to an un-contained catastrophic engine failure!  :-o

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire.... (Come on now, everybody sing along since it's stuck in your head now too)

Offline beerbellykelly

• #1980-A/F 1350-AIRCOOLED-TOO COOL FOR SKOOL
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 06:36:11 PM »
 :-D

yeeeeh---- VIKING POWER!!!
GOD BLESS THE HUMMIN' CUMMINS
www.jamesandfriend.com

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 06:57:25 PM »
 :-o  The cold does strange things to people!   Thats why I live in Aridzona!      ( Does look like fun tho,,,,,,Tech,,,major headaches!) Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 09:44:11 AM »
One thing that people noticed during last years race was that the studded tyres needed for traction on the ice produced very high friction at speed, one guy in a 2-stroke SAAB talked about having to change his transmission because his car couldn´t reach top revs because of the studded tyres.

This is why I believe that steel runners are superior to wheels for a jet powered vehicle on ice, close to zero ground friction no matter what speed you are at. In my mind there is no problem building a jet powered kick that can reach an average speed of +200km/h, we´ll find out this year what speed a 70-80lbs thrust engine can reach. A 300lbs pulse jet engine coupled to a lightweight kick with aerodynamical fairings and enough downforce to keep it on the ice might be enough to reach my goal.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 02:51:13 PM »
One thing that people noticed during last years race was that the studded tyres needed for traction on the ice produced very high friction at speed, one guy in a 2-stroke SAAB talked about having to change his transmission because his car couldn´t reach top revs because of the studded tyres.

This is why I believe that steel runners are superior to wheels for a jet powered vehicle on ice, close to zero ground friction no matter what speed you are at. In my mind there is no problem building a jet powered kick that can reach an average speed of +200km/h, we´ll find out this year what speed a 70-80lbs thrust engine can reach. A 300lbs pulse jet engine coupled to a lightweight kick with aerodynamical fairings and enough downforce to keep it on the ice might be enough to reach my goal.

Coat the bottoms of the skids with Teflon or try and get your hands on some of this stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo58oWW09qQ  :-D

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 03:10:58 PM »
Teflon coating will give even less friction, that is true. The problem is that the runners on a kick is also used to steer with, so for high speed runners to work they have to be grinded just like a hockey skate with sharp edges so that they can keep the kick going straight. If they were coated the risk is that the kick can start going sideways on the track.

I have to add that the jet powered section of Swedish landspeed racing consists of a very small group of people, so if someone have more serious matters to discuss about "real" landspeed vehicles on ice please do so. Until then I would be happy to exchange thoughts about runners and thrust powered vehicles.  :-)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 03:24:54 PM by Mobacken Racing »