Author Topic: Ellwoods Crankcase Supercharged bikes  (Read 43895 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Ellwoods Crankcase Supercharged bikes
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 07:26:16 PM »
As a Norweigian/American kid that abused his runner sleds I would say that looks like one fun ride! Crazy but fun!

Offline Ellwood

• I do landracing on ice-Flying Kilometer in Sweden
    • Ellwood Hybrid - Crankcase Supercharged Prototypes
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 02:04:56 AM »

Now the external stuff is almost finished, i must dig deep in someones pocket and buy a forged conrod, steel liner and piston, and a proper clutch

Offline Ellwood

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 07:52:48 AM »
Have ordered a forged rod and piston now, so 2013 should see the beast starting to life

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »
This creature and it's inventor is indeed special in so many ways. It'll be really interesting to see it on the racetracks the next year. I wish Ellwood all the best!
http://www.ret-monitor.com/articles/2900/against-all-odds/

Offline Ellwood

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 02:01:06 PM »
Now i gotta decide whether to go for a clutch or hydraulic drive. Since theres no gearbox then the latter may be best. Has anyone any experience of such?

What compression ratio would be best for NitroMethanol for example 10 psi supercharging up to 6000 rpm ?

And what ignition unit should I be looking for thats suitable for NitroM use ?

I have to make a new Crossvalve for the head since i guessed the wrong overlap on the prototype. Material is now ordered for this task.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 02:09:51 PM by Ellwood »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 05:16:42 PM »
Several options are available when going with a hydraulic drive the best option is going with a closed loop hydrostatic type of drive. The people you should talk to are Rexroth or the Parker Hannifin Bent Axis group. With a hydrostatic drive you can have several different control schemes: 1. Fixed displacement pump and fixed displacement motor. This is what I call a hydraulic chain drive. The ratio between the pump and motor displacement is like the ratio of the front sprocket to the rear sprocket on your motorcycle. Speed variation is done by changing the engine speed, 2. Variable displacement pump with a fixed displacement motor or vise versa. This combination will give you a control of the ratio between the pump and motor because the pump volume is variable. Theoretically the ratio should be almost  infinite but because of the physical limitations of the pump and motor a good system will give a pretty efficient drive at around 5:1 to 1:1. Most hydrostatic drives are this combination. If you need a wider range of variable speeds then you can go with both a variable displacement pump and a variable displacement motor, this combination will give you almost an infinite amount of ratios.

The closed loop, hydrostatic system requires the least amount of reservoir oil and if you use pressures around 5000 psi and only the very best of motors and pumps, i.e. Rexroth, PH Bent Axis, you may see a system efficiency of around 90%. I you happened to watch the Dakar rally several years ago there was a Yamaha 450 that was two wheel drive and they used components from Rexroth. One more point, as these systems need to operate at high pressures to have good power density they are made from ferrous materials and are not lite weight.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Ellwood

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 08:14:36 AM »
Rotary valve head
milling recesses for aluminium bronze inserts

starting to put in the inserts

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:55:35 AM by Ellwood »

Offline Ellwood

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 12:59:27 PM »
a new rotary T6 aluminium valve, because the original steel one had wrong overlap. The adapter around it is to attach the belt drive cog.

As regarding the hydraulic drive idea, i have to shelve it, since it will need a lot of cooling, i am told.

busy machining the straight ally bronze inserts for rotary head. a bit of a job since i couldnt scrounge any flat bits, have to mill out from a round bar.
All the ally bronze inserts shall hold cast iron `piston ringlike`sealing rings, and hopefully create a good seal around the nanocoated T6 rotary valve. OK, maybe a bit of pressure can leak out, but this is gonna run on mostly booze at high compressions.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 02:49:10 PM by Ellwood »

Offline Ellwood

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 02:01:41 AM »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 09:02:32 AM »
Ellwood,  :-o  my hat is off to you LSR brother ---what a way to explore the "POSSIBILITIES"    :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Ellwood

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 09:30:27 AM »
Thankyou Sparky. I have been inspired by Anders Turbine Bike superduper build diary, so hope to keep mine more updated now

Oh I forgot to mention my custom made piston and rod are now ready- Many thanks to CP-Carillo Pistons.

Offline Ellwood

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 03:30:20 PM »
my old miller lathe is all i have to make everything,  it even doubles as a work bench since since i dont have room for one.

now the straight allybronze seal holders are milled, need to cut to length and fasten in head somehow.

Offline Ellwood

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 12:27:09 PM »
Many thanks to Carillo pistons. the rod is longer than my foot !

now i need to design a liner.

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 02:15:11 PM »
now i need to design a liner.

Way to go!  :lol:

Want to share a container when our bikes are built, tested thoroughly and ready for the salt?

Offline Ellwood

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 03:21:36 PM »
Aaaawwsome Anders, that would be so cool, but don`t ya think the bikes would fit in our suitcases?