Author Topic: 6 Random Questions  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Genuine GM

• Ignorance is NOT bliss.
6 Random Questions
« on: November 13, 2009, 10:01:15 AM »
As some may have read, I am in the beginning stages of building a V4F/MR and have several technical questions.  Please advise as you can.

If I want to make the body completely removable, how do I seal the top and sides of the front and rear firewalls to the body and ensure it is fireproof?  I know how we do it in Helicopters at work, but I want to know what is SOP for the salt.

If I want to make the body completely removable, what is the "normal" method of attachment?  A multitude of dzus fasteners, screws, bolts?

How is the engine compartment normally vented from pressurization at speed, in other words, vents in the fenders (if allowed), ducting, sealing off the radiator opening?  I know the pressures can get pretty high and cause drag and, depending on the car, try to induce lift due to downward pressure exiting under the car.

This should probably go in the rearend section, but what is the most common type of rearend run.  I don't mean hypoid, full floater or etc, I mean.... 7.5 inch out of a Vega, 8.2 Chevy, 8 inch Ford?  I know that I will not run a 9 inch due to the extra power is sucks from the drivetrain.  Personally, I am liking the 7.5 out of a Vega with a 2.29 gear, but I know of no one that makes C-Clip eliminators for it.  I might have fab something myself.  Keep in mind V4F or even V4 will not make huge power numbers.

Engine diapers?  I have looked all over the rule book and can't find a requirement for them.  I am NOT a greenie, but I also don't want to grenade an engine and cover the salt/track with an oil slick.  What are others doing?

What is more common as far as manual transmissions.  1:1 final drive (T-10/T-4) or OD (T-5, TR-3550, T-56)?

I don't want any "secrets" divulged, this is a racing and a competition, but I don't want to beat my head treading where others have already been.  I will have enough of my own head beating with some of my ideas.
Don’t let the troubles in your head, steal too much time, you’ll soon be dead - so play. You Never Know – DMB

Offline RichFox

Re: 6 Random Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 12:31:55 PM »
Vents in the fenders? In a RMR? What fenders? Sealing the radiator opening? Again I don't have a radiator or opening for one. We don't run diapers and I think you are on the right track with the Vega rear end. Might think about different ends on the tubes so that you can use pressed on bearings. My body is not lift off. If it was I would use bolts. I don't like an overdrive when you can get the overall ratio with the ring and pinion available. In Modified roadster you should take advantage of the belly pan allowed and with out cooling air there shouldn't be all that much pressurization. If you feel the need a few louvers in what looks like a low pressure area should work.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 12:47:05 PM »
V4F/MR record is 123.06.  A 2.29 rear with 26" tires and a V4F turning 5000 rpm yields about 169 mph (assuming zero slippage  :-D ).

3.00 with 26" - ~129
             27" - ~134
             28" - ~139

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 12:53:40 PM »

This should probably go in the rearend section, but what is the most common type of rearend run.  I don't mean hypoid, full floater or etc, I mean.... 7.5 inch out of a Vega, 8.2 Chevy, 8 inch Ford?  I know that I will not run a 9 inch due to the extra power is sucks from the drivetrain.  Personally, I am liking the 7.5 out of a Vega with a 2.29 gear, but I know of no one that makes C-Clip eliminators for it.  I might have fab something myself.  Keep in mind V4F or even V4 will not make huge power numbers.

GM,

Most of this information on rearends has been discussed. Do a search (top right hand corner). Even the original ford rearend has been discussed for this class in the archives.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Genuine GM

• Ignorance is NOT bliss.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 01:49:36 PM »
Rich Fox,

Sorry, I should have been more clear on venting under hood.  Brain Fart on my part.

I was asking that question for another vehicle.  I want to run my 65 C10 in the USFRA 130 and possibly 150 club and was curious for that vehicle.

The way I worded the original post did make is sound like I was asking for the MR, which as stated, doesn't have that problem.

I effectively made myself look like an idiot.  :roll:

4-barrel Mike,

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If I can get the torque and hp to pull that gear at speed.

desotoman,

Searching just brought up more questions than answers.  I always to find the answer before posting, I just wanted a consensus on what works best.  Changing the bearing ends is no big deal.  I have shortened several 9" rears myself.

Where do you find high gears for an original Ford rearend???  That has got to be pricey.  I have access to a few old rearends like that, but they are all 4.10 or lower. 

Don’t let the troubles in your head, steal too much time, you’ll soon be dead - so play. You Never Know – DMB

Offline desotoman

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 02:26:34 PM »
GM,

Speedway Motors, Lincoln, Nebraska, still sells the early ford ring and pinion and stock 3.25, 3.54, and 3.78. These are for the original Ford carriers.

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 03:03:22 PM »
I'd check the HAMB on the usability of those gears.  Lots of problems have been reported in the past.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 03:28:40 PM »
Mike,

I just did a search and could not find anything on the hamb. Where were you looking, or what did you put in the search box? Reason I am asking is I have a set of these gears and have never heard of any problems, but would like to know if there are.

Tom G.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 03:49:33 PM by desotoman »

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 03:36:57 PM »
Google 'advanced search' is generally a much better search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=speedway+3.54+banjo&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=www.jalopyjournal.com&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

Put 'www . jalopyjournal . com' (no spaces) in the 'Search within a site or domain' box.

1st & 3rd results above.  The problem was older than I remembered & apparently fixed (?)

Mike

Offline RichFox

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 03:38:04 PM »
One old trick to vent underhood was a couple of small wooden wedges stuck under the rear of the hood before closing to hold it somewhat open and alow air flow.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 03:44:21 PM »

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=speedway+3.54+banjo&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=www.jalopyjournal.com&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

Put 'www . jalopyjournal . com' (no spaces) in the 'Search within a site or domain' box.

1st & 3rd results above.  The problem was older than I remembered & apparently fixed (?)

Mike

Here is a quick google search tip so that you can avoid going into the advanced search mode. It works the same as advanced search but is available from the regular screen.

in the search box use the following: Search criteria site:url

So for example you could enter:  6 Random Questions site:www{dot}landracing{dot}com and press enter. This will search for all of the ocurances of "6 Randonm Questions" with the landracing site.

I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 03:47:17 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the links. Look like the pinion gear had to be turned down to pass through the carrier. If that is the only problem, it is no biggie. Thanks for the information.

Tom G.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 03:49:11 PM by desotoman »

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 03:57:31 PM »

Mike

Here is a quick google search tip so that you can avoid going into the advanced search mode. It works the same as advanced search but is available from the regular screen.

So for example you could enter:  6 Random Questions site:www{dot}landracing{dot}com and press enter. This will search for all of the ocurances of "6 Randonm Questions" with the landracing site.

Yes.  But I'm lazy.  I've typed it in once already.  Now all I have to do is doubleclick the box, then click on ANY of the sites that I've previously advanced searched on - NO typing a URL a second time.  :-D

Mike

Offline bbarn

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 04:08:08 PM »

Mike

Yes.  But I'm lazy.  I've typed it in once already.  Now all I have to do is doubleclick the box, then click on ANY of the sites that I've previously advanced searched on - NO typing a URL a second time.  :-D

Mike

I wasn't being critical of your method, just passing along YEARS of useless knowledge I have acquired...I figure if I give away enough of it, I can make room for more important information  :wink:
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.