Author Topic: I always wonder who wins these contests, this time it was me!  (Read 4694 times)

Offline NOT A TA

• New folks
I always wonder who wins these contests, this time it was me!
« on: November 10, 2009, 09:08:09 PM »
So I figured I'd let you guys know that someone on the forum won something.

I won the Performance Therapy online car show photo contest!!! With a picture taken by my friend John Hendrick at a NASA HPDE road course event I attended at Sebring in June of this year. It was taken during one of the first sessions of the day and was the first time I'd ever run the famous 3.7 mile track used for the 12 hour races.

I saw a thread on a forum about the contest and went to check out the pics people put up then thought "Hey! I should put a cool pic of my car up!" I'm always posting track pics on forums to get others interested in taking their cars out. The contest said "post a pic of you enjoying your car". Well a day at an awesome world famous road course is the most fun for me in my car!

The Performance Therapy contest winners were announced by John Hotchkis at SEMA and just posted online here http://www.performancetherapycontest.com/

Chad from Fletchers had called me from SEMA. I'd been working at Fletchers Customs installing a dash I'd built for a Firebird going to SEMA and helping the guys put the car together. When they headed off toward Vegas I made the 8 hour trip back to south Florida from Chads shop in GA. I thought maybe they were messin with me when they first called but it was true! I won!!!!

As the Grand Prize Winner I'll be recieving a system from each of the sponsors of the contest. Man can I put this stuff to good use!!! Here's why

Hotchkis Sport Suspension: A full TVS setup. I already have Hotchkis springs, sways, and tierod adjusters, as well as the Bilsteins they sold me to go with their products I installed in my Firebird which I purchased a long time ago, before they called it the TVS. So I'll have to talk to them about my options for another car or maybe upgrading the Firebird.

Baer Brakes, A full setup. I've had some real issues running a stock front disc/rear drum setup in my Firebird on road racing tracks with long straightaways where I need to haul the car down from 125 MPH+ to slow for sharp corners. I've gone through stacks of different pads, shoes, rotors, calipers and literally gallons and gallons of brake fluid. I couldn't put bigger brakes on without also needing to buy new wheels and tires. I just couldn't afford to do both but thanks to Jason....

Rushforth Wheels: A full set!!! Then I can install bigger brakes! Now I should be able to fit some really serious rotors and binders while being stylish with new wheels I couldn't afford. To wrap the new wheels.................

Yokohama Tires: Again a full set! I'd been running the Yokohama Advan AO 32s and needed to replace the fronts but they've discontinued making the DOT R tires in the sizes I needed so I've had a set of temporary front tires on the car (with the AO32 rears) since the end of the track day the picture was taken. The temporary fronts had nowhere near the traction of the original AO32's so I've had to take a little easier. (I put 4 wheels off once and found the new lower adhesion limit! LOL) Perhaps I can get some DOT Rs in a size that will work with the new rims!!!!

Red Line Synthetic Oil: I was going to order some of their Water Wetter this week. I've had some slowly rising water temp issues on track in the Firebird since moving south which required a cool down lap in the middle of each track session the past couple events when it was very hot out. Now that I'm in FL I don't need antifreeze anymore and I planned on flushing the system and switching to just water with Water Wetter. Not sure what else I'll get from them but because of the track time the Firebird gets I'm constantly changing oil, tranny fluids, rear end, etc. in the car as well as my tow vehicle (which takes 15 quarts of oil !) so I know I'll go right through whatever it is that they provide.

Lifeline Fire Safety Systems: A full system. As you might guess by the full cage, NASCAR full containment seats and 6 point harnesses in my Firebird, safety in cars is an issue with me to the point where the money I've spent on safety items could have purchased the killer engine I really want. I can certainly put a fire system to good use!!! Although hopefully not ever needed and activated!

MSD Ignition: A full setup! I currently run an MSD Pro Billet distributor, Blaster 3 coil, 6A box, and 300+ wires on the old Pontiac 400 thats in the Firebird. I'm going to need (read want) to replace the engine with a much more powerfull one to reach my speed goals at land speed races and open road racing, so getting an ignition setup for it will be a huge help!

Flowmaster: A complete exhaust system. While the sidepipes on my Firebird are functional they have a fake 4 into one header that won't even allow the current engine to perform as well as it could because only one of the 4 "header" pipes is actually used and it's barely 1 1/2" !!! I'd installed the sidepipes about 10 years ago when the car had a stock 350 two barrel and for that engine it was fine. A new system will be awesome and allow me to run a bigger carb on the current engine than the (cough) 575 (cough) thats on there now. Plus when I can afford a new engine it will have some breathing room!

Hot Wheels: We're all big kids who love toys. Who wouldn't want enough Hot wheels to fill a track that spirals around the garage! LOL

I want to thank all the sponsors for giving us all the contest. It's a place to throw our cool pics up and share our pride in our vehicles with others. If you didn't see the contest the photo galleries it's really worth a look. http://www.performancetherapycontest.com/entries.php You'll find pics of everything from ground scraping cars, to pics of little kids helping their ole man wash the car, the smokiest burnouts, all the way up to giant 4 wheeler monter trucks as well as everything in between.

OK enough of my ramblings! Here's the winning picture

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
Re: I always wonder who wins these contests, this time it was me!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:25:12 PM »
 :cheers:  Congratulations!
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 09:25:44 PM »
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Geo

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 09:29:29 PM »
Congrats!  Very cool car.

Geo

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 10:02:24 PM »
It's great when someone wins a contest that will really put the prize to use. Congratulations!

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 10:28:40 PM »
Not a TA,
first congratulations, it is a great picture and really nice to win stuff you can actually use...

The joy will initially wear off when the 1099 arrives and you figure out how much it costs to win stuff,  :| but do not despair, the nice thing about it is the value is not set in stone.... the little known fact is the IRS will actually let you decide the "street value" of your prize.  Remember shoot low...

Don't want this to be a downer, just giving you a heads up on the other side of your joy and the cure...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline CGoodson

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 10:56:56 PM »
I know had buddy win a scratch ticket for 100,000 got 72,000.
Corey Goodson
cgr138@gmail.com
hptt:www.facebook.com/corey.goodson
1000 Bockscar Lakester H/BFL Red Hat record 233.119
Currently Building #1177 G&S Roadster H/BFR

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 11:38:09 PM »
Very cool, who's the pasenger? :cheers:

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 01:49:27 AM »

Thats cool  enjoy. lets all send a picture of our rides on the salt at speed next year and see how we do.
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline NOT A TA

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 09:01:29 AM »
Thanks everyone!

The passenger is a driving instructor teaching me "the line" at Sebring.

Everyone should send pics of their cars on the salt or wherever. As they say ya can't win if you don't play. I usually ignore these types of contests. Glad I didn't this time!

Pics could be from anywhere. They just asked for pics of you enjoying your car. Other winning pics were people swapping engines in the driveway, group photos of family members and their cars etc.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 06:53:42 PM »
Now for the bad news ... the prize comes with a tax liability based on its retail value ... still not a bad deal ...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 07:43:03 PM »
55 read #5
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline NOT A TA

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 11:47:48 AM »
I knew about the tax issue. There will also be a lot of expenses involved in installing the products. I'm not working right now, and not collecting, so the value of the prizes will probably not be considered enough income that I'd end up having to pay any tax. I avoided responding to the tax issue mentioned previously because this is a happy thread and because I hate pity partys on the forums. It is a long story only partially related to the economy. So if nothing else this is a very bright spot during a rather dark personal financial period.

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 11:59:08 AM »
Winning must be a sign that everything is going to be okay!!  :-D   Maybe not perfect, but who expects that anyway?  :roll:

Congratulations on your "just what you needed to finish the project" win!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 05:24:27 PM »
One of my life goals is to pay a million dollars in taxes ...