Author Topic: Has anyone ever set a car and bike record with the same  (Read 9817 times)

Offline Malcolm UK

FIA and Breedlove
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2005, 07:11:13 AM »
Probably correct as the 'jet unlimited' class did not seem to have any particular rules.  

However the Breedlove vehicle never had more than three wheels to my understanding of history and so should never have come under the jurisdiction of the FIA.  This was just a case of the FIA trying to prevent the FIM (whose rules allowed thrust power) from having control of the outright land speed.

Now as a three wheeler is not a 'bike' I do not think anyone has achieved the feat postulated at the outset of this thread - a record as a bike and a car.  Now there is a challenge for someone .....

I would suggest that the next outright supersonic record might only be achieved by a vehicle running under regulations of the FIM.

Malcolm
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Not so fast or easy.
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2005, 10:03:47 AM »
The number of wheels in contact with the ground to tell the difference between a car and a bike was
 established with the FIA and FIM in the beginning and has always been very clear.
A vehicle of any motive power may simply fit a split  wheel to establish the count and not change the aero .
The "Sky Tracker" for example had 5 wheels.
You can call it anything you want, after all it is your PR machine to do with as you please.
The stability of the rules make it real and the speeds have not been perfected yet.
(Enter the Hot Rodder).
ENJOY
OBTW: The SCTA club record is 229 by a Lakster and Jim Feuling set records as both a car and a bike.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"