Author Topic: Has anyone ever set a car and bike record with the same  (Read 9813 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Has anyone ever set a car and bike record with the same
« on: August 31, 2005, 11:39:30 PM »
Has anyone ever set a car and bike record with the same vehicle?

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 07:42:37 AM »
The simplistic answer would be No - a car is a car (four or more wheels) and a bike is a bike (two wheels, unless a sidecar with three).

The closest to this feat would be the late Jim Fueling, whose front wheel drive car streamliner had what amounted to a single rear wheel fitted and then ran as a three wheeler.  This meant it was a 'cyclecar' and came under bike rules and regulations. He achieved LSA records in both configurations and SCTA car records too I believe.

A biker in the UK had planned a turbine powered car streamliner that could be adapted overnight to become a bike, but Alex MacFadzean never completed the build, which was reported in Motorcycle News.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 09:25:44 AM »
Derek McLeish has set both car and motorcycle records with the same vehicle. Sidecar configuration for the bike records, four wheel lakester configuration for the car record set at Speedweek.

Warner

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 10:35:42 AM »
What about that KB 2, or what ever it is/was? Did it set records?

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 10:43:40 AM »
The streamlined bike that Vesco established his records with was converted to a car  (SkyTracker) by putting an extra aluminum tire on each side. It had the Offy engine. He never had a record with it as a car but he did have a record crash, even for him.  A great foto of him on crutches and wearing a leg cast and a pile of crushed metal made it in a national magazine.
Since '63

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Yup, lot of times
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 12:15:42 PM »
Al's car front half shape came from a Norton liner.
While speed has not been perfected yet, it is often HP per SQ in.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 12:25:18 PM »
What about that KB 2, or what ever it is/was? Did it set records
John Bjorkman's streamliner fell down as a bike. Came back as a car and put John into the Dirty Two club.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
What about ?
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 01:00:45 PM »
What about a T-bucket on a back motored lakester, is that a Mod Roadster ?
Oh wait, that's not a bike, NEVERMIND.
I had the lid closed on the box when I was inide and it came to mind.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 03:28:24 PM »
so it sounds like derric has been the only vehicle to do it! Cool! He set records last year as a bike and this year as a car. My thoughts were that I could set a record with my bike liner, switch the front and rear to straight axles in less than 2 hours and set a record as a car. I could probably do it at the world finals. Dependa if the wife will let me come out and play.
Kent

landracing

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 06:35:19 PM »
Quote from: 1212FBGS
so it sounds like derric has been the only vehicle to do it! Cool! He set records last year as a bike and this year as a car. My thoughts were that I could set a record with my bike liner, switch the front and rear to straight axles in less than 2 hours and set a record as a car. I could probably do it at the world finals. Dependa if the wife will let me come out and play.
Kent

Can't you just leave a note of when you will get back on the way out the door? I do that.

I found its better to ask forgiveness then to ask permission

Jon

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 06:52:52 PM »
your a brave man!
kr

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
It is better
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 07:24:56 PM »
"It is better to just do it and let them figure it out after you did it than let them get a head start on figuring how to stop you in their tracks."

Offline D-Type

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 05:33:26 PM »
How about Craig Breedlove and Spirit of America?

His 1963 outright World Land Speed Record wasn't recognised by the FIA as at that time they only recognised wheel driven vehicles.  But the FIM recognised it as it complied with their rules for a three wheeler or sidecar.  Then the FIA introduced a new category for jet cars so his 1964 records were recognised as car records.
Oh Lord, please help me to keep my big mouth shut until I know what I am talking about

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
No cigar
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 05:51:38 PM »
3 wheels in contact with the ground has always been a 3 wheeled cycle, not a car with 4 or more.
A side car and a cycle car are another definition again but still only 3 wheels..

Offline D-Type

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 04:50:29 PM »
Be that as it may, I always thought that the FIA recognised Breedlove's 1964, and later, records.  but I may be wrong.
Oh Lord, please help me to keep my big mouth shut until I know what I am talking about