Author Topic: Modifications for ALT class  (Read 3647 times)

Offline thommysgarage

Modifications for ALT class
« on: November 10, 2009, 08:48:07 PM »
Hi, I'm new to land speed racing, so I've got some basic questions. I am going to build a car to run in the altered class. The rule book says all panels must be in the original relationship, but allows an engine set back. How much of the firewall and floorboard can be removed or modified. I plan to construct a full frame and roll cage for this car, but I want it to be completely legal. Is it acceptable to remove the floor and firewall and replace it with new sheet metal? Thanks for the advise, Brad Thomas

LittleLiner

Re: Modifications for ALT class
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:37:45 PM »
Brad:   I am pretty sure that the panels refered to in the rule book are the external body panels.  I've looked at many altereds that have replaced all or most of the firewall and floor panels.  Take a look at the build pages on this site at a few of the altereds being built.  A good example is the one with a studebaker  click here ->  http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,5062.0.html

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:42:56 PM »
The only thing stock on our altered is from the doors back, i.e the doors, the shell, and the rear window and deck lid.  Full alston chasis underneath, new floor and firewall, exact replica front end with the allowed stretch. :cheers:

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 01:53:44 AM »
Look to the DEFINITIONS of a Step Pan, Secondary Flooring, and floor boards for the bottom for your car. All are legal in Altered/Fuel Coupe.................good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline thommysgarage

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 07:16:05 PM »
Thanks for the input, it will be much more efficient to build a chassis and then attach the body to it, rather than building through the stock floor. Does anyone have any suggestions about where to get a fiberglass front end? Can I get one with the wheelbase stretched, or will I need to do this myself?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 08:34:53 PM »
What Body?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline thommysgarage

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 06:49:38 PM »
I am going to use a 76 Firebird, probably with a 78 front end.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 07:58:58 PM »
Go to www.eharwood.com. They have your front end listed. :cheers: