Author Topic: Rearend problems on Speed Demon?  (Read 12404 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: Rearend problems on Speed Demon?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 11:54:24 PM »
Some of the special made Q-C units use Arrow Gear Ring and Pinions. When used in a Halibrand Champ Center section you need to put spacers on each side because the pinion gear is so big. Arrow makes all kinds of gears in all kinds of ratio's from 1-1 and up. They have a website.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jl222

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 12:23:03 AM »
Rob,

I believe the Extremliner takes a different spline Q-C gear than a standard 10 spline. For some reason I think it is a 22 spline gear and or shaft. Out of curiosity what is the minor diameter of the shaft in the Extremeliner? I think you will be fine with that rearend. As RacerGeorge said many V8 Quickchanges rearends have gone very fast.

My Brother and I own a Modified Roadster, with a one off 1-1 QC. The QC was broken when we bought it. Seems the 10 spline Pinion shaft would occasionally sheer in two when the previous owner ran the car. The car was run with a Blown Fuel KB, which put out 3000 HP and 3000 torque. It only went to Bonneville once and with that rearend recorded the fastest 1/4 mile time ever at 296, at least that is what the previous owner told me. I have no reason to doubt him as the car still holds 3 El Mirage Records ranging from 266-280 set back in 1994. All records were set using 10 spline Q-C gears.

Tom G.

That roadster of yours must be the Swain Bros -Helash-Hoover roadster, beautiful car and open trailer.
   Before they ever went 280 at El Mirage I gave them a printout sheet with some parameters I had inputed into
 my Bonneville Pro computer program which had a 280mph speed predicted.

JL222

Offline desotoman

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 01:41:23 AM »
That is the one John. Bought the car, minus motor, clutch, and trans, but with a broken rear end. Didn't buy the trailer. George Parker built the rear end. I bought another set of cases off George and he was going to machine them, but never got around to it before he died. I have been collecting parts for 10 years for that car and at this time have 98% of what is needed to finally put it together. I will run it at El Mirage in the next year or two, depending on the economy and my financial situation.

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 08:58:27 PM »
Okay, let's see if I can get all of this straight enough to make sense.  I just got off the phone with Ron Main.  He got my email a few days ago asking about the Speed Demon's rear end - but was with the car at SEMA and didn't get to call me 'til now.

The car now is set with a Ferguson-built Champ-style rear end.  Billet, with a pair of front bearings, a 1.400" input shaft, and zero-degree pinion angle.  These mods should, he and crew feel, get them the life they need for the rear end.  The pinion angle was part of the problem, and the shaft wiggled before the new (extra) bearing set was put in.

As for the rear breaking -- they've programmed the MoTeCs to take out some timing and boost as the motor approaches shift rpm.   
They also use the MoTeC to control (as you'd expect) the horsepower in each gear to help keep the drive wheels from breaking loose.  He reminded me that because the car has the extra-stable design it does -- that there's no waggle when the rear breaks loose -- the driver doesn't know that he's sitting on spinning wheels and therefore doesn't know he should try to pedal it.  The result -- very little wheelspin.

Oh, yeah -- the Duttweiler V-8 makes about 2200 horsepower at full boost (31#).  Not 3,000 or whatever else you've heard.  And in first the engine is limited to about 600, by the way, each gear getting more and more.

I expect I'll be getting some photos soon -- of the rear tires after a run where the wheelspin was NOT controlled. 

So saith Ron Main.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 11:06:30 PM »
Thanks Jon
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline desotoman

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 12:31:16 AM »
Jon,

The new design no longer uses the standard 10 spline quick-change gears as in the past. They increased the minor diameter of the spline to give it more strength and have added more splines.  They also made the new quick-change gears longer (thicker) to help with the load.  Ron Main reported this information at a club meeting. I actually held one of the new bottom shafts at the club meeting. These changes were made after Speedweek in preparation for the Shootout.

Tom G.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:17:44 AM by desotoman »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 09:39:36 AM »
Yeah, that's right -- he did say that, too.  Thanks for filling in a blank or three, Tom.  Ron's call took me sorta by surprise -- I didn't have notepaper to write down everything.

Quite a piece of work, isn't it?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 11:15:34 AM »
Sounds like I already have the updated rear. Good news.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 02:29:27 PM »

Did anybody find out if the rearend is solid mount?

JL222