Author Topic: Bikes P-PP Displacement Questions  (Read 5181 times)

Offline Tonerjockey

Bikes P-PP Displacement Questions
« on: November 08, 2009, 12:11:11 PM »
Hi All Y'all,

Well my 750 P-PP bike isn't consumeing my remaining cash quickly enough so I am thinking of building up another racer.

I have an 850 that will run in P-PP class. Since it will have to run in 1000 class (no such thing as 850 P-PP), can I increase the displacement to 1000 and still run P-PP is everything else remains in class?

This may have been discussed before here, but I can't find the discussion.

Thanks for the help and see ya's there just then.

Alex
750cc P-PP (73 Guzzi V7 Sport - Porco Rosso)
50cc SC  (Weed Whacker)
100cc SC  (Heat Lightning)

Offline Jasontmc

Re: Bikes P-PP Displacement Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 12:16:11 PM »
Yes you can build to the limit of the class.
But you can't go up into the next class. I did one year and now there's a rule against doing that!
There still is the overbore rule but there is not enough time to get into that discussion!!

Offline Tonerjockey

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 12:23:23 PM »
Thanks!

Let the insanity begin!

heh heh

Alex
50cc SC  (Weed Whacker)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 12:55:47 PM »
Let's go into further detail:  Yes, you can increase the displacement of the engine up to the limit in your class -- but the outside appearance of the engine must remain the same as when you took delivery from the factory.  If you have a picky inspector or are protested -- you might not even get away with an engine of a different color - unless you can prove that that different color was also a factory available thing (like if you paint the block and heads bright green once you're done with the boring bar).

At ECTA events you can run up in engine class in Production -- that is, your 1,000-cc maximum engine would be allowed to run against Production records in classes of 1350, 1650, 2000, 3000, and 3001+.  At SCTA events you may only run in the class the engine - as built and supplied by the manufacturer - naturally falls into.

Where are you?  Your moniker notes don't tell us -- maybe there's someone near enough that you could swap stories and help without going through the Forum (not that there's anything wrong with that, though).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 01:52:39 PM »
san jose   close to me   1 209  6816876                                 willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Tonerjockey

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 01:56:24 PM »
Hmmmm

Sorry for showing my cards but what is a clAcura? Appears that the site administrator has a Marklar for Marklars (as seen on South Park episode with Starvin Marvin).

The bike is a 76 Guzzi Lemans 850cc. All stock (today).

I'm in San Jose Ca. (changed my profile to show this) and my local LSR friends all run streamliners and Lakesters... and go much faster that I ever will in P-PP clAcura. Their clAcura related environments don't exactly relate.

I have some experience with 750 P-PP clAcuras and am familiar with the P-PP constraints of frame and engine... but an 850 in 1000 clAcuras is new to me. I figure to start with the engine looking AS ORIGINAL but with a 1000 cc displacement.

Looks like I can do this... I'll talk with the Tech Inspectors at ElMo next week.

Thanks for the help!

Alex

« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 01:58:43 PM by Tonerjockey »
50cc SC  (Weed Whacker)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 01:58:26 PM »
You can go to the class limit but if you run production you have to run the original carb/throttle body and stock pipes and muffler.  The muffler can be gutted but the openings cannot be enlarged.  Plus the overbore rule does NOT apply to production.  "To permit minor reconditioning of worn cylinder blocks in classes other than production..."
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Tonerjockey

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 02:08:16 PM »
Hmmmmm2

Up to the limit of the clas will require an overbore(?!) from 850. I intend to run a shorter stroke (than stock) so the bore will be even larger.... This is the crux of my question. I spoze the word OVERBORE won't pertain to this effort as my planned stoke/bore should put me at about 930cc. Still considerably under 1000cc max eh?

Alex
50cc SC  (Weed Whacker)

Offline willieworld

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 03:16:45 PM »
as i understand production---when tech checks displacement--they will measure bore and stroke do the math and you will have to be under the max cc in your class--in your case 1000cc--as long as you are between 751 and 1000cc you can do whatever you want inside the motor--- willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 03:32:45 PM »
The best rule ever written for production bikes.  "Any performance modifications shall be out of view."
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 03:50:56 PM »
That rule is interpreted to include such "performance" modifications as stainless steel brake lines.  I commonly upgrade the factory rubber lines to SS -- but was told it wouldn't be allowed in Production, even when I claimed that I sure thought it'd be a safety modification -- just like the required addition of a steering stabilizer or a metal chainguard.

Ask permission before you change AYNTHING is therefore and now and forever my motto in production class.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 04:22:54 PM »
there is a good reason for the production rules---if there were rules about internal engine components you would have to disassemble the entire motor if you set a record---with the max cc thing you can pull a spark plug or at worst pull a head ---works for me      willie buchta

bill see you at el mirage we will be there early thursday
willie-dpombatmir-buchta