Author Topic: Racing backwards?  (Read 8823 times)

twinspin327

Racing backwards?
« on: November 07, 2009, 12:51:50 AM »
I'm new to land racing. I'm still selecting a class to compete in. I am reading the 2009 rule book. I see the SCTA rule book say in the 5.B Vintage class that "Bodies shall be mounted in a conventional manner..." However, it doesn't say that in the 5.C Classic class. Can I race the car in reverse, not reverse in the transmission, but race backwards? I am serious about this question. In addition, I haven't located any information in Section 4 Definitions explaining "forward movement?"
I think I have an idea for a good shot at a LSR record. I have always been told that I think and color outside of the lines. I'd need to confirm this info before I start one of my projects.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Racing backwards?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 01:21:17 AM »
I think if you start at the lights and run to the start line it will be OK.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

McRat

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 01:26:23 AM »
Great question.  Since next year HANS devices will be required, call HANS and ask about their Linda Blair collection.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 03:56:04 AM »
NO---I don't think so--that been tried before and hence the RULE
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 03:57:40 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 09:11:20 AM »
sounds like you are going for Freuds record.  I believe he has the fastest reverse record on the salt and the freeway.  The trick to that record is you have to be in reverse.
If you read the rules better, you  will see that classic is just older cars and the regular rules also apply.  :|
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline mkilger

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 11:22:41 AM »
build a roadster you should go backwards at some point :roll:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 11:26:28 AM by mkilger »

Offline pookie

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 01:23:06 PM »
Twinspin327..... Back in the 1940's  there was a guy who mounted his roadster body on backwards and ran El Mirage...  Recall is a little fuzzy, I was too busy laughing as I kicked the slats out of my cradle..  No, Just kidding about the cradle. But you know what I think he either had top speed or set a record.. Better submit that question to the racing organization you plan to race with..to check on the legality.. But as Kilgore said , WHEN you spin, hell , you will look OK to the course workers and can keep going,but don't forget the rear view mirror.. Mike R.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 04:15:38 PM »
According to common folklore, the VW Beetle is more aerodynamic in reverse ... CD is beter ...

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 04:23:11 PM »
According to common folklore, the VW Beetle is more aerodynamic in reverse ... CD is beter ...

With the HP a beetle makes does it matter?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 05:02:11 PM »
Twinspin327..... Back in the 1940's  there was a guy who mounted his roadster body on backwards and ran El Mirage...  Recall is a little fuzzy, I was too busy laughing as I kicked the slats out of my cradle..  No, Just kidding about the cradle. But you know what I think he either had top speed or set a record.. Better submit that question to the racing organization you plan to race with..to check on the legality.. But as Kilgore said , WHEN you spin, hell , you will look OK to the course workers and can keep going,but don't forget the rear view mirror.. Mike R.

Manuel Butkie turned the body on his '27T around after Dean Batchelor suggested it would probably have a better aero shape that way,Batchelor drove it to a 148mph record at an SCTA meet at Elmo. There is a pic of Butkie at a Rusetta meet on page 60 of Batchelor's book " Dry Lakes and Drag Strips-The Story of the American Hot Rod" . A great book.

here's more on Manuel....

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=aYB_fHyg-V8C&pg=PA25&lpg=PA25&dq=MAnuel+Butkie&source=bl&ots=A9_MVeirKx&sig=xVsaoU35VQq423PKQclwaHiPVos&hl=en&ei=Gu71Sqv0NYbUtgOalOC0CQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=MAnuel%20Butkie&f=false

Dr G
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 07:21:38 PM »
Going to build a Pinto?
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 12:55:43 PM »
many cars have better aeros backwards (big in small out). I have learned that just because it doesnt say it in the book wont make it OK.

There is the unwritten rule of "spirit of the class" meaning that the vehicle should conform to the standards of what the class and vehicle is. Building a body backwards on a chassis IMO will not conform to the spirit of the class.

I am not a rules official but I would say if you build it....you will be wasting your time 'cause it wont be allowed.

Good luck with it.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

McRat

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 01:38:09 PM »
Pass, Class, Mass, Password, Bass.

McRat

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 01:38:58 PM »
Admin should remove "azz" from the cussword list, as it is used in too many words.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 02:28:28 PM »
Well, yes, maybe -- but I've got the system set to modify words in which the combination of letters appears.  Maybe I'll get around to changing that setting.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com