Author Topic: School me on Powerglides?  (Read 10803 times)

McRat

School me on Powerglides?
« on: November 06, 2009, 06:04:39 PM »
Can you run a clutch with a custom PG?
Will they shift without a converter under power?
How much does a fully-built one weigh?
Would 1500ftlb hurt them?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: School me on Powerglides?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 07:29:08 PM »
A fully built PG in an after market case with all of the HD STUFF should be able to handle 1500'#. Not having a converter should helplll

"Crosley" am I on track????????????
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 07:34:33 PM »
Behind the Duramax???

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 07:41:45 PM »
Mike Stewart of Mike's Transmissions in Lancaster seems to have the market cornered on Powerglides for high output conditions.

He's good people and, from experience, will work with a person., 

He runs ads on Drag Racing Online and is the resident expert..
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

McRat

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 07:44:15 PM »
Yup, behind a 7000lb Dmax.  I normally have it de-torqued to about 1100ftlb, but also need room for mistakes.  

I will talk give Mike a call and pick his brain, thanks!

Offline racergeo

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 08:59:53 PM »
I bet he talks you into a t-400 and they have direct drive kits also.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 10:14:43 PM »
McRat,

Anything can be done. You might want to look into a Turbo 400.  Before planetary Lenco's  there were Clutch Flights,(torqueflights with clutch) and Clutch Turbo's (turbo 400's with Clutch). A small adapter was used to run the front pump off the clutch. Pretty neat units, that gave you the launch of a stick, with the shifting of an automatic. Just had to remember to put the clutch in or put it in neutral when stopped.

My Roadster used to run a Turbo 350 without a converter. Would just push it up to 25mph and drop it into 1st gear. No problems at all. I also have a boat I built back in 1978 that I have a Turbo 400 in without a converter, behind a supercharged 454 Chevy, 30 years later it still works great.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 10:35:18 PM »
McRat, If you can be talked into a T400, talk to RobFrey on this board. We run a modified T400 in our lakester with 1800WHP and if I rember correctly ~1600fp of torque. The trans uses a custom made valve body that is solenoid actuated, it's a pretty trick setup. He also runs it on his 1/4 mile pontiac (http://www.onebadpontiac.com/).
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 01:28:54 PM »
I thought the Allison was supposed to be so badass ?

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 02:01:12 PM »
Without a clutch or converter the shifts are brutal. Kind of like shifting a manual w/o the clutch. By the way, Pat, I saw a bumper sticker for you the other day......... " Real trucks don`t have spark plugs" :cheers:J.B.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

McRat

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 05:04:27 PM »
I thought the Allison was supposed to be so badass ?

It is, but it's computer controlled and talks to the engine computer.  Can't always make it shut up.

And it's loses a lot of HP at high RPM's. 

Just trying to gather info so I can make a good choice if it becomes necessary to change. 

McRat

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 05:06:55 PM »
Without a clutch or converter the shifts are brutal. Kind of like shifting a manual w/o the clutch. By the way, Pat, I saw a bumper sticker for you the other day......... " Real trucks don`t have spark plugs" :cheers:J.B.
:cheers:

That's what I wasn't sure of, how hard the shift would be.  Thanks!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 09:47:04 PM »
McRat,
If you are worried about how hard the shifts are without a converter, just let off the gas for a second before shifting. Sort of like shifting a manual but no need for a clutch. The unit that we run, has overrunning first and second gear so when we do let off, it's no big deal. It feels like we just pushed the clutch in.
I used to run a Turbo Clutch in my 68 Chevelle drag car. I did not like it as first gear ratio was just wrong and the car would sort of fall on it's face. The new clutch technologies would have fixed this problem but that was over twenty years ago. It would be absolutely fine in a LSR car and you would not need a push vehicle.
I would think that you would want as many gears as possible as you are slightly limited to usable rpm range with a diesel. I betting you gave this a lot of thought already though.

Rob
BTW, I've been a big fan of Casper for years now.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 10:22:37 PM »
I do not have a big turbo eng----but I just rasie the line pressure in Ratical and basically run a stock valve body---no converter---no lifting full power shift at 8000---a little wheel spin and little tranny slip---pretty smooth and we do not blow the tires off. have run HD  PG and AT400 going back to the PG... will be running TURBOS in the truck!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 10:40:12 PM »
I have always been told the valve body controls how hard the automatic transmission shifts. If you left the stock valve body in the transmission it should shift softer than if you put a shift kit valve body in it. You would have a little more clutch wear though. My Boat transmission does not shift any harder, than a truck I had which I put a shift kit in for towing, with a stock converter.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.